Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

full tranny swap! auto/manual and manual/auto question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default full tranny swap! auto/manual and manual/auto question.

ok well heres the question. i want to make my 99civic EX automatic a manual.
and ok heres what gets kinda trickie... im geting a 96civic DX 5speed manual, but that car is wrecked right now but i think it can be fixed with a few moderate front end parts. i say THINK because i dont pick the car up till friday.

and ok heres the deal i got 2 civics and well if i can do a full swap and put all the automatic stuff into the manual and vis versa i could have a cheap/ 96DX beater with a automatic, and my 99EX with a 5speed with all my goodies...

ive read the swap threads already but they all talk about just cuting wires to make your auto into a manual. BUT i want to put the automatic in the 5speed so i can have another civic to drive in the winter or just a low profile car that wont get spotted

i think i can do the shifter metal fab work just fine but the wiring on the car im not sure about.... is there a seperate wire harness that i can just pull and put it into the 96DX
or what am i looking at to do the REAL SWAP.LOL not just transplant like other threads
im thinking that i would need 2 new computers, the 96 DX non/vtec W/automatic, and a 99EX W/vtec and w/manual.

i would like to do the swap this winter most likely. when i will have pleanty of room for both cars to get the work done.

main reason why i bought this 96civic coupe DX is for the 5speed swap BUT the more i think about it.... WHY WASTE the car for scrap after i pull my parts and leave my automatic tranny in the corner for scrap as well.. when i can just swap the 2 trannies and just replace the front end with 99 civic parts.

besides alittle rice on the car already, the actual damage looks repairable! new radiator support,fenders,bumper,bumper impact bar, hood and i believe i can swap the 96 front end to match my 99front end. ive already got spare grill, spare headlights, spare rear bumper. so i might as well swap the front end at this time to a newer 99-00 style
now i havent seen the car IN PERSON YET... i won it on ebay for only 700bucks and pick it up friday. just the soonest i can pick it up. its about an hour away from me.

i realy hope its fixable and i can really do this full swap! and repair the 96dx and have 2 civics again only reason i sold the 94EGex coupe was because it didnt have AC and im a AC sissy.LOL this dx I THINK has AC so that will be golden if not i can still find a full kit to instal original AC.
i guess if the car is in worse condition than i think then i might not slap the automatic in it and just part the car out. hopefully its repairable and i can do the whole swap.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 AM

Default Re: full tranny swap! auto/manual and manual/auto question. (addiction2bass)

anyone?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only problem i see is putting the auto transmission into the manual chassis, will have to cut and weld the transmission mount and fabricate something up for the shifter. If the car wasnt so damaged but seeing the condition of it I dont think its worth the hassle
Old 07-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: full tranny swap! auto/manual and manual/auto question. (addiction2bass)

My advice, don't try to put the automatic in the 5 speed. Its not that easy, 5 speed in an automatic is trivial comparitively. Theres just too much wiring to run for the automatic transmission to work right. The other thing is '96 - '98 wiring harnesses are different than '99 - '00 so you can't just swap the entire vehicle harness out. my advice would be drop the manual into your EX and keep the DX for a parts car, and sell the auto trans to make some money. The other thing i'll mentions is your going to probably want a '99 - '00 EX ECU, and a manual D16Y8 intake manifold and throttlebody.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, how about this, the car u got looks horribly damaged, but doesnt look like the chassis is damaged, cant really tell, why not replace the radiator support, fix the passenger fender wall, new front end.....keep that one, or sell it for more money....then buy the whole swap for ur other beater.

Now im just pulling this out of my ***, all depends if u can get parts for cheap, how much u got that crashed civic for....

just an option im throwing in there for u. Do the math and see what u get.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 AM

Default Re: full tranny swap! auto/manual and manual/auto question. (94EG8)

i would just buy another 5 speed tranny and supporting parts to swap on the auto... you would save more time and then sell the auto tranny...

STevo
Old 07-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Seagull Management

Default Re: (RagnarX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RagnarX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only problem i see is putting the auto transmission into the manual chassis, will have to cut and weld the transmission mount and fabricate something up for the shifter. If the car wasnt so damaged but seeing the condition of it I dont think its worth the hassle</TD></TR></TABLE>

For 6th gens you don't have to cut and weld, the mounts just bolt to the frame rail, the 5th gens had a pocket mount that was different that had to be cut off and welded. shouldn't be hard to put the shifter in. Its really just the wiring for the automatic that will make it a hassle.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For 6th gens you don't have to cut and weld, the mounts just bolt to the frame rail, the 5th gens had a pocket mount that was different that had to be cut off and welded. shouldn't be hard to put the shifter in. Its really just the wiring for the automatic that will make it a hassle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah didnt know that, thx for the info
Old 07-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to do the same.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Default Re: (EJ8freek)

well i have thought about keeping the silver DX 5speed BUT its a DX.... i like my power options, and sunroof as well! i figure i could probably easily swap all the power options BUT i wont have the sunroof....

so im not to sure what to do just yet. id prefer to have the more powerfull vtec motor with the 5speed BUT then again keeping the slow motor and 5speed would also give me better MPG....

so its a hard choice right now!
im pretty sure that the 96silver dx is repairable.. damage all looks high. only slight damage to the bumper impact bar.
i only paying 700bucks for this 96DX coupe. i pick it up friday and will get alot better look at it all.
id love to have my 99civic EX with the 5speed to have better performance feel. BUT i guess i could always swap suspension to drop the silver after replacing front end parts to update/upgrade with 99-00 parts. and make the 96 the nice cruiser. only downfall is I LOVE THE BLACK LOOKS, but i do hate how easily dirty it gets quick!
decisions decisions... i need a

this is my nice 99civic EX.

the black on black looks sweet! IMO of course but black gets dirty so fast and it does get pretty dam hot at times.
man i got so many things running thru my head about this!!!!!
keeping the auto a auto and vis versa would be the easier thing but id have to make my 99ex a basic DX stealing the power accessories off it like power windows/mirrors, door locks. everything but the sunroof really because of the obvious.LOL
maybe o crap now i got more sh** to think about maybe ill just fix the 96dx and keep it as is. man its so hard trying to decide what to do. i would like to have 2 civics...
i wouldnt just want to scrap out the 96 after i get all the swap parts out of it...
it only has like 80K miles on it at least on the canadian cluster like 120K km

the guy says it starts up and does run and move on its own power, but of course ya dont want it running to long since most likely busted radiator. lol

im gonna winch it up on the trailer or just push it on the trailer just to be safe depends how easy it is.

it looks like the car does have AC and ABS as well which looks like a nice bonus!
power locks i can wire up any day cheap. but the power windows will take more work to swap.

man the more i think about it the better i think it would be to keep the dx drivetrain stock and just transfer my goodies from my 99ex to it. and ditch the sunroof hell might even put the 99back stock. o man choices choices im confused now! LOL i cannt afford 2 nice civics only one nice and one so called stock.
i had originally planed on just using this car for tranny parts and spare parts but why waste a potential money maker if it is fixable!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Seagull Management

Just swap the 5 speed into your EX, and part out the DX. swapping a 5 speed into an automatic is easy, its just going the other way thats hard. doing a power conversion is a PITA IMO, it wouldn't be so bad if the cars were both '96 - '98 or '99 - '00 then you could just swap the entire floor harness, as it is you'd have to take a apart both harnesses, its quite a bit of work.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:57 PM

Default Re: (94EG8)

ya its some big choices i am thinking about right now and probably will for the next few days!!!!!!!

the power swap... for me no problem! i wouldnt even use all oem stuff. just the door panels, switches, window motor/tracks all the wiring would be just afew relays under the dash. no problem there!
dont use factory door lock switch since its so easy to use a hook to get into the car.
and just do my own custom door lock switch. factory lock motors. and just wire it with relays myself.

no problem at all since im good with wiring in extra toys

man i hope the 96DX is in good shape frame wise! i want to go get it right now but i cannt since to do the towing im using my dads suburban and trailer ive already got all the tiedown straps, winch and battery on charger to be fully charged. now im just waiting for my day off work so we can get it during the day to avoid rush hour traffic!

i cannt wait to get this car! this is killing me not knowing the exact condition of the car!
it could go any way!!!!!! car could be fixable and then id make it my daily driver nice cruiser, BUT if the frame is actualy damaged and doesnt look fixable then it would be a parts/swap car and just part everything good in it out. or if the frame is good but the motor is damaged it would again be a parts/swap car.
man this is killing me not know exactly!!!!!!!!!