Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

>(fuel reg)Is it neccessary to adjust more fuel if i add bigger intake manifold??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post >(fuel reg)Is it neccessary to adjust more fuel if i add bigger intake manifold??

BTW. happy new year everyone,

i got a question my side ride is a D15z1 engine and i got CAI,hedders, cherry bomb, im going to install a D16 Vtec intake manifold this weekend.

The intake manifold,-throttle-body-fuel injectors, rail etc. is hella bigger than the D15z1 one will it make a lot of difference if i adjust to add more fuel than just running it.

I got a adjustable fuel reg. and how do i know how much to adjust it to??
Which way is easier to know what fuel psi to adjust to
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
I got this from the B&M adj. FPR instructions

Most factory computers will
compensate for minor airflow
modifications (low restriction intake
and exhaust) at part throttle operations
but have no way to adjust at WOT
(Wide Open Throttle). The results are
a lean mixture right where you need
more fuel! One way to correct this is
to adjust fuel flow via fuel pressure.
Most people don’t understand that by
increasing fuel pressure (on a fuel
injection system), fuel flow increases.
The formula for calculating flow
increase based on fuel pressure is:
F1 = Injector Flow (cc/min)
P1 = Current Fuel Pressure (psi)
F2 = New Injector Flow (cc/min)
P2 = New Fuel Pressure (psi)

P2=P1x (F2/F1)2

example:
We added a high flow exhaust that
increases airflow 5%. What pressure
should the system be set to?

F1 = 270 cc/min
F2 = 284 cc/min (270 + 5%)
P1 = 43 psi
P2 = 43 psi x (284/270)2
or
P2 = 48 psi

or whats the easiest other way to formula-ly do this i got this from B&M instructions?? will adjusting make difference?
Thanks

Last edited by EG-SIXV-TEC; 01-01-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: >(fuel reg)Is it neccessary to adjust more fuel if i add bigger intake manifold??

You dont need an adj. FPR on a engine with the mods you have done...

I dont really understand why you would even throw money into a Z1...
Old 01-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: >(fuel reg)Is it neccessary to adjust more fuel if i add bigger intake manifold??

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch
You dont need an adj. FPR on a engine with the mods you have done...

I dont really understand why you would even throw money into a Z1...

i just want to see if what i can do with some of my other spare parts around, i know that its useless but im trying to see what i can do with it, it's my side ride

will adjusting my FPR to add more fuel will do anything???
I still want to adjust it but don't know what to set it at???

Last edited by EG-SIXV-TEC; 01-01-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: >(fuel reg)Is it neccessary to adjust more fuel if i add bigger intake manifold??

Originally Posted by EG-SIXV-TEC
will adjusting my FPR to add more fuel will do anything???
I still want to adjust it but don't know what to set it at???
1) waste more gas... You dont need any extra fuel.
2) You need a fuel pressure gauge.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FPR is uneccesary. The car's OBD would adjust to any type of air/fuel change related to D16 manifold.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to start playing with stuff like that, chip the ECU and run Crome. Get a wide band O2 sensor and start datalogging. That's the cheapest way of tuning and actually being accurate. Get an Ostrich and a laptop, or a chip burner. When you get bored, you can use it with another car.

The parts to chip the ECU are fairly cheap, I think it was under $5 for everything to chip the board, not including shipping. It's the emulator that's like $170 and the wide band that's expensive, but you can find the wide band sensor for like $50 on eBay and get the gauge from another seller and make the whole deal a little cheaper.

I think it's kind of pointless trying to make more power on a Z1 because of how it's built, but it could be educational, so good luck.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
If you want to start playing with stuff like that, chip the ECU and run Crome. Get a wide band O2 sensor and start datalogging. That's the cheapest way of tuning and actually being accurate. Get an Ostrich and a laptop, or a chip burner. When you get bored, you can use it with another car.

The parts to chip the ECU are fairly cheap, I think it was under $5 for everything to chip the board, not including shipping. It's the emulator that's like $170 and the wide band that's expensive, but you can find the wide band sensor for like $50 on eBay and get the gauge from another seller and make the whole deal a little cheaper.

I think it's kind of pointless trying to make more power on a Z1 because of how it's built, but it could be educational, so good luck.
when you take your car to a tuner shop to get dyno'ed

do they use their own wideband and chip burning hardware?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Linked
when you take your car to a tuner shop to get dyno'ed

do they use their own wideband and chip burning hardware?
Yeah, if you pay them to tune it on the dyno as well.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: >(fuel reg)Is it neccessary to adjust more fuel if i add bigger intake manifold??

Originally Posted by Sean @ ESG
FPR is uneccesary. The car's OBD would adjust to any type of air/fuel change related to D16 manifold.

so its okay then no need to adjust the FPR, from 1.5L intake manifold to 1.6L manifold

so if i adjust the FPR to add more psi the computer will still compensate for the more added fuel? will it work best doing so if i chip the ecu, is it possible to run a 1.6L vtec computer and slap it on the D15z1 harness, also i heard that the D15z1 comes with the Wideband o2 sensor with five wires or so is it true.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG-SIXV-TEC
so its okay then no need to adjust the FPR, from 1.5L intake manifold to 1.6L manifold

so if i adjust the FPR to add more psi the computer will still compensate for the more added fuel? will it work best doing so if i chip the ecu, is it possible to run a 1.6L vtec computer and slap it on the D15z1 harness, also i heard that the D15z1 comes with the Wideband o2 sensor with five wires or so is it true.
Keep all of the Z1 items including the OEM FPR. Manifold swap is fine, but isnt going to make a noticable difference. 1-2whp at the most.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch
Keep all of the Z1 items including the OEM FPR. Manifold swap is fine, but isnt going to make a noticable difference. 1-2whp at the most.
what if i use the d16 vtec intake manifold do i need to replace its FPR with the D15z1 one??