Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem.

Hey everyone I have a 2000 HB that's a 5 speed and sometimes when I am driving the gears feel like they are popping out then pops back in. This happens in any gear and it makes the car jerk. It happens once in awhile I'll be driving and stepping on the pedal then my car will stop accelerating (pops out) then a second later it will pop back in and jerk. I already did a search and couldn't find any threads with a similar problem. I have no idea what is wrong and where I should begin to fix. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Transmission Problem.

Is the actual shifter popping into neutral or is it happening fully inside of the transmission?
Old 12-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like possible clutch problem, since no mention of tranny rebuild
Old 12-31-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Is the actual shifter popping into neutral or is it happening fully inside of the transmission?
It doesn't actually pop into neutral. It is all happening inside of the transmission.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your shift linkage tight? or something not causing it to engage fully when you shift then it finally does later?

Does it do it when you shift, or just randomly as your driving?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ReVeNgEd-SoN
Is your shift linkage tight? or something not causing it to engage fully when you shift then it finally does later?

Does it do it when you shift, or just randomly as your driving?
It happens after I shift and when I am randomly driving. Sometimes I'll drive for 30 min and it will never happens. Sometimes when driving for 30 mins it will happen a few times.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It might be bad synchronizes in the transmission. Either that or bend shift linkage or misaligned fork. I'd get it checked out before it gets worst; you might be a need tranny or rebuild it. If it does get worst, learn to power shift, which will help greatly.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:57 AM

any other opinions?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have something similar in my sol, but somehow different.

When I am engaged, say 4th gear, and I'm on the throttle, and my hand is resting on the shifter, I feel nothing, when I get off the gas, I feel the shifter move, like the engine and tranny move, BUT its technically still in gear. This, for me, is bad engine mounts and probably a bad tranny mount (saving for hasport racing mounts. 300 for the set XD love D series). If this is the same as you, then you just have bad engine mounts. If it actually stops accelerating, and then re-engages without you doing so, either your shifter linkage is borked some how, or there is something in the tranny that needs fixing.

My 3rd gear Syncro is gone, and at 35-45mph, in 3rd, IF I let go of the throttle, it will pop out of gear. Syncro's won't have you popping out of gear and then back in gear. They hop out until you hit your clutch petal and re-engage the gear.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Del Namco Solo
When I am engaged, say 4th gear, and I'm on the throttle, and my hand is resting on the shifter, I feel nothing, when I get off the gas, I feel the shifter move, like the engine and tranny move, BUT its technically still in gear. This, for me, is bad engine mounts and probably a bad tranny mount (saving for hasport racing mounts. 300 for the set XD love D series).
Rubber mounts are going to have some give to them, and if the engine and transmission move the shifter is going to go with them. its a solid bar linkage. If it was cable then the shifter wouldn't move.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Del Namco Solo
I have something similar in my sol, but somehow different.

When I am engaged, say 4th gear, and I'm on the throttle, and my hand is resting on the shifter, I feel nothing, when I get off the gas, I feel the shifter move, like the engine and tranny move, BUT its technically still in gear. This, for me, is bad engine mounts and probably a bad tranny mount (saving for hasport racing mounts. 300 for the set XD love D series). If this is the same as you, then you just have bad engine mounts. If it actually stops accelerating, and then re-engages without you doing so, either your shifter linkage is borked some how, or there is something in the tranny that needs fixing.

My 3rd gear Syncro is gone, and at 35-45mph, in 3rd, IF I let go of the throttle, it will pop out of gear. Syncro's won't have you popping out of gear and then back in gear. They hop out until you hit your clutch petal and re-engage the gear.
It actually stops accelerating then accelerates again (and it doesnt pop into neutral). I will definitely look into shifter linkage. Also, I am going to rest my hands on the shifter and try and see if I feel movement.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by egsleeper
It actually stops accelerating then accelerates again (and it doesnt pop into neutral). I will definitely look into shifter linkage. Also, I am going to rest my hands on the shifter and try and see if I feel movement.
When you rest your hand, do it really lightly. If you push down or give weight to the shifter it can be bad (or so im told) so just rest it lightly.