Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FRUSTRATING PROBLEM!! TPS / THROTTLE BODY ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRUSTRATING PROBLEM!! TPS / THROTTLE BODY ISSUES

heres the story

i did a jdm d15b swap into my car over the summer and i was on my last penny trying to get my car running again and the jdm throttle body has the cable pulling it from the wrong side since its jdm so i ghetto rigged it and just flipped the piece around that pulled it just so i could have it running....it wasnt too bad but the part that rests on the little threaded piece of the throttle body to stop it from letting the idle drop so low wasnt touching it anymore since i flipped the piece around...so my car would almost die when i came to stoplights.

so i bought another throttle body off a d16z6 and put that on...no one at any autozone, checkers, meyers, or any autoparts stores had a gasket for it so i made my own out of the paper gasket looking stuff they sell at those stores.

I had to switch all of the sensors over and i know you have to align the tps right but i just put it on about the same which it was on my other throttle body...
when i turn on my car when its cold it idles alll the way up at 2000 rpms until it warms up then it goes down to about 900 and when it reaches 900 now the idle fluctuates goes up and down a couple hundred rpms which is very annoying...( I Know its not my iacv because it didnt do it right before i changed my tb) I've re positioned the tps a million times and messed with the idle screw a million different times and different ways and it will either still get to the point where it fluctuates or the idle drops super low and my motor sounds like its studdering.

so once i unplugged my tps and turned on the car and it still idles at 2000 when it starts until it warms up like 5 minutes later but the idle stays at about 900 and it sits PERFECT..when im coming up to a light and shift into neutral the rpm drops perfectly to 900 and stays there as perfect as it gets...

if its not unplugged when i shift into neutral the rpm drops below like down to 400 then right up to its 900/1000 point and then starts going up and down fluctuating

im overly frustrated with this problem and need some help BADLY!

why would it run so much better with the tps unplugged?
and with it unplugged is that making it run super rich?

thanks for any help!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FRUSTRATING PROBLEM!! TPS / THROTTLE BODY ISSUES

No help?!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

sounds like u have a air pocket in your coolant, did u bleed the head?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No I haven't bled the head? I never heard of that but I did haveto disconnect that small coolant hose that goes to the part under the throttle body. So how doi bleed the head and where would the airpocket be? That would cause the idle issue?

I do have the hose that runs to that part under the tb in a wierd path it loops up thendownso maybe that's something?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:59 AM
TRIAL USER

the tps is VERY touchy. i dont know the specs, but it has to be torqued to a certain spec and must be measured with a micrometer to ensure it's able to measure properly. search for it on here, i found the threads about it when i did my last y8 swap. it might be easier to go buy yet ANOTHER throttle body that still has the tps attached. those sensors are riveted in place for a reason, they really aren't meant to be removed...
Old 03-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what ishiukd do is get someone to calibrate it correctly? I do t want to buy another one where It still might not be on it the right way. I thought it just had to be calibrated to ur own car. But I know it the throttle position sensor but what does it do? I've been rolling around with it unplugged and it seems like it's running richer. Is that what it does?sense how much fuel to put in?