Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

front driver side tire has play. untill someone holds the brake pedal???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front driver side tire has play. untill someone holds the brake pedal???

well i just recently replaced my inner tie rod end on this same spindle and got a alignment, my tire was stiff is hell. and a week later i jack my car up and realized my tire while full tightened has lots of play. the play is up down left right sideways everywhere. and when i look closely at it it looks like my brake caliper is loose and is causing this but it is tight.

only thing i can think of is that my brake pads are worn down but never seen worn pads do this to the whole tire.the brake disk and caliper are the only things that move when i jack it up. i was doing 90mph today didn't notice any shaking at all.

and when my friend held the brake pedal down the tire had no play at all.

what would cause this???
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: front driver side tire has play. untill someone holds the brake pedal???

Id have your wheel bearrings checked. Also your ball joints.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: front driver side tire has play. untill someone holds the brake pedal???

Originally Posted by gourley
x2
Old 02-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gourley
x3
Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its your wheel bearing is bad.... has to much play in it.... you have to pressed them out and press a new one in........ if you dont have access to a press you can take the steering knuckle off and take it to someone with the new bearing and they will press your new one in for you>>>

kev
Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 AM

Check your wheel nut to make sure it hasn't come loose. I had this problem after a shop installed a new axle and FORGOT to put it on. The exhaust shop noticed it after lifting the car up. The only thing holding my wheel on was the brakes, and the rotor was ruined.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a wheel bearing or that the big axle nut is loose.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the first thing i checked is that 32mm bolt for the axle. but it most likely is the wheel bearing. i been driving for a week like this. just wondering how much longer can it wait?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

until you pass the wheel.

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
thats the first thing i checked is that 32mm bolt for the axle. but it most likely is the wheel bearing. i been driving for a week like this. just wondering how much longer can it wait?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not going to fall off from a wheel bearing going bad. Not any time soon anyway.

My wheel bearing is bad as well. It's rumbling. So I'll replace it in the spring when it's warmer or something. Not really a huge priority and I drive around 100 miles a day to and from school.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but, my wheel bearing was good after i changed my inner tie rod i had no play in the tire at all then all of a sudden it has a **** load of play. it dont rumble or no sound only sounds like a loose tire when i hit bumps hard.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wheel bearings can go out just like any other bearings.. sometimes they make noise then go out.. other times they go out quick..
Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, I bought a whole spindle for this problem cause its cheaper for now and i jacked my car up, loosened the big 32mm axle nut and that bitch was loose lol. it felt tight by hand but with the socket on it it was loose, well i fixxed that and now its perfect. but now when im driving on the highway it feels weird like its like the allignment is off but its not cause sometimes i can let go of the wheel and it goes straight other times it slightly pulls to the right. but it feels likes it is very windy outside and it is moving my car left right. like my car can't make its mind up about where to go lol. what could this be?? i can let go of the wheel for a while and it goes straight.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe you were doing 90 mph in a car you were sure had something loose in the suspension... that shows some smarts...

Glad to see you fixed the problem.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Danronian
I can't believe you were doing 90 mph in a car you were sure had something loose in the suspension... that shows some smarts...

Glad to see you fixed the problem.
it wasn't noticeble on the highway. it drove good. but now it want to pull diffrent ways.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:36 PM

If your axle nut was loose, you probably ruined your brake rotor/pads and they are causing the car to pull (that's what happened to me). Resurface the rotor, if possible, or get a new one.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ball joints FTW...for ish and giggles check your cv joint and grease EVERYTHING with rubber. also helped when i brought a wrench and tightened a bunch of loose stuff...