Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

front conversion rad support question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default front conversion rad support question

ok, im getting ready to do the front conversion on my 97 coupe to a 99/00 si front and rear, my question is this:
i know that i don't need the radiator support to do it but i want to do it right so is the front radiator support this whole thing:

keep in mind im more used to the EF chassis and on those the support unbolts as a T bar in the front, and i was curious if the EJ8 does the same? the reason i ask is because i was looking at mine and i didnt see any spots where it bolts up, i still had everything bolted on the car. thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: front conversion rad support question (crx_si-r)

yup thats the whole thing.... but the front si like bumper, headlights, hood, and fenders, should bolt on to your front.....
Old 01-28-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Re: front conversion rad support question (vivajdm1)

to do it right, all you need to do is cut off 2 tabs on the support.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: front conversion rad support question (CIVICR-X)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CIVICR-X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to do it right, all you need to do is cut off 2 tabs on the support. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that would be to make it work.

He's right, swapping the radiator support would mean no bumper cutting, or bending whatsoever.

Good luck with that though, lol.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the front rad support doesnt bolt on, its spot welded on. Have fun!!
Old 01-28-2008, 05:37 PM

Default Re: (Malakai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Malakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the front rad support doesnt bolt on, its spot welded on. Have fun!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe its both. There's a few bolts holding it on, and a few welds you'll have to drill out. Then you'll put the new one on and bolt it up. Then you have to make sure its straight as a ufckin ARROW....and have someone hit those welds again.

This isnt anything im happy to admit here hahaha, but when I bought my last EK it had some front end damage. I needed a hood/fenders/bumper and a rad support. I was comfortable with doing everything myself except for the support. I needed to get the old, slightly bent one off...and my new one put on. I had it towed to a local collision shop, and they charged me $500 to remove the old and install the new. Good price? Not really. But I have the peace of mind knowing its done 100% correctly and the car was perfectly straight afterwards. Plus I'm sure it would have been a bit cheaper if they didn't have to remove my old one, and make sure things are perfectly true and straight. Probably cheaper if all they had to do was plop my new support on and call it a day.

So yeah, hopefully you know someone w/ a welder that knows what he's doing. Good luck brotha. But yeah, the guy I quoted is correct in saying its welded on as well as being bolted.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I believe its both. There's a few bolts holding it on, and a few welds you'll have to drill out. Then you'll put the new one on and bolt it up. Then you have to make sure its straight as a ufckin ARROW....and have someone hit those welds again.

This isnt anything im happy to admit here hahaha, but when I bought my last EK it had some front end damage. I needed a hood/fenders/bumper and a rad support. I was comfortable with doing everything myself except for the support. I needed to get the old, slightly bent one off...and my new one put on. I had it towed to a local collision shop, and they charged me $500 to remove the old and install the new. Good price? Not really. But I have the peace of mind knowing its done 100% correctly and the car was perfectly straight afterwards. Plus I'm sure it would have been a bit cheaper if they didn't have to remove my old one, and make sure things are perfectly true and straight. Probably cheaper if all they had to do was plop my new support on and call it a day.

So yeah, hopefully you know someone w/ a welder that knows what he's doing. Good luck brotha. But yeah, the guy I quoted is correct in saying its welded on as well as being bolted. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I did mine on one of my 96 hatches. Took me damn near an entire day remove and install the new core support but I lined it up fine. You don't have to be a body expert to do it, just takes time.

Oh and you don't even need to weld it. I was skeptical but after I bolted it up, I yanked on that beeetch verrrry hard and it was fine.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:29 PM

Default Re: (o2flow.net)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by o2flow.net &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I did mine on one of my 96 hatches. Took me damn near an entire day remove and install the new core support but I lined it up fine. You don't have to be a body expert to do it, just takes time.

Oh and you don't even need to weld it. I was skeptical but after I bolted it up, I yanked on that beeetch verrrry hard and it was fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whoa, thanks for your input man...thats definitely good to know that welding isnt 100% neccessary. I'm sure it'll help the OP out knowing that a body shop doesnt have to be involved and he can still do things "right". I wish I knew that a few years ago, but in hindsight I dont regret paying someone to do it since there was a bit of body damage and I could have not noticed that it wasnt straight until it was too late. But I agree you dont have to be a body expert to correctly align panels and have a good outcome.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, since my car was salvaged due to theft im gonna hope that the radiator support was also stolen so that means that the one in it now is also just bolted on. im gonna remove my bumper tomorrow weather permitting. so we shall see tomorrow. lol. thanks again guys.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crx_si-r)

just so i know, how many spot welds are supposed to be holding the radiator support on? or does anyone have any pics of the spot welds on the support?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:05 PM

I don't have pics but I dont think theres enough of them to worry about, yanno? I'm pretty sure they're only located on the far ends of either side, where it attaches to the left and right crossmembers under the fenders, if that makes any sense. I doubt its tacked across the front or bottom or anything. So I'm gonna go with 2-4 of them at the most. Good luck man! And when you get a chance to look at it, would you mind updating the thread with EXACTLY how many welds there actually are?

Because if you couldn't find your answer searching, the question may not have ever been answered on here. And since you actually titled your thread correctly, which most people don't do....if anyone has the same question and tries searching in the future, thanks to you he'll get the answer he's looking for. Karma comes around, you help out others, and others help out you.

Good luck man!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=790135&page=1
Old 01-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (saywhat)

i've already seen that thread but he didnt go into detail about swapping out the support. when i do my conversion i am gonna take a crap load of pics and do a detailed how to with the swapping out of the radiator support.