Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Freakin' Window

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Freakin' Window

Well my freakin window wants to come off track again cuz its getting stuck again just like the last time before it cam off track. I've read in the FAQ's section on how to fix. But my concern is when you guys refer to silicone spray, what the hell is that? Im in Cali so our stores here are autozone and pep boys, kragen. What exactly am I looking for? I just don't want to go buy the wrong **** and mess up my window even more. So any help on brand name or whatever is appreciated.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Freakin' Window (mortificationrock)

Damm I getz no . Maybe I wasn't clear enough. My q is wtf is silicone spray? Do I just go into a parts store and ask for that? What if they give me the wrong ****? Is it actually silicone in a form of spray or is it a lubricant? Sorry for the stupid Q's but I really don't know a lot when it comes to that type of stuff.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Do I just go into a parts store and ask for that? </TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be my first step, yes.

"Hi, I need silicone spray. Got any?"

Try that.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Freakin' Window (csulliva)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by csulliva &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That would be my first step, yes.

"Hi, I need silicone spray. Got any?"

Try that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well see I would gladly do that but, a lot of the people that work in the parts store don't know ****. I have gone once and asked and they said uuhhh I don't know... try that one row. So how the hell would I know what im looking for. That's why im posting this here so I can get some help this time. Last time it popped off track. I read here and fixed it but I never used the silicone spray thing so now its coming off again. This time I want to do it right so I don't have to fix this **** every month.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT
Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh boy... regardless of brand, the can should have the phrase "silicon spray" on it. WD-40 is a popular form of silicon-based spray lube.

But you don't want to use silicon spray on anything rubber or plastic. Silicon will slowly break down the polymers contained in those components. That's why silicon-based lube and condoms are a no-no . Try graphite lube in some sort of a liquid suspension, i.e. get a graphite lube spray, so you don't have to rub the dry compound on the entire track path.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Freakin' Window (Blk00EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh boy... regardless of brand, the can should have the phrase "silicon spray" on it. WD-40 is a popular form of silicon-based spray lube.

But you don't want to use silicon spray on anything rubber or plastic. Silicon will slowly break down the polymers contained in those components. That's why silicon-based lube and condoms are a no-no . Try graphite lube in some sort of a liquid suspension, i.e. get a graphite lube spray, so you don't have to rub the dry compound on the entire track path.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTH??? So im not suppose to use silicone spray? Now im even more confused. Why would people on here suggest it and u on the other hand go against it? And as for WD-40 I have at home. There aint diffirent ones is there? What would happen If I put something like industrial grease,lube etc?? Would that do the trick?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well my freakin window wants to come off track again cuz its getting stuck again just like the last time before it cam off track. I've read in the FAQ's section on how to fix. But my concern is when you guys refer to silicone spray, what the hell is that? Im in Cali so our stores here are autozone and pep boys, kragen. What exactly am I looking for? I just don't want to go buy the wrong **** and mess up my window even more. So any help on brand name or whatever is appreciated. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Go to Autozone. They have silicone spray. It's in a yellow spray can. There will probably be white lithium spray right next to it in a blue spray can. Both are made by Gunk (Liquid Wrench) and will be on the "chemical wall" along with transmission and engine additive, brake cleaner, brake fluid, octane boosters, Seafoam, WD-40, etc.

Since I spray it down on the METAL tracks to rest against the GLASS window, I'm not too concerned with a bunch of plastics and rubber breaking down. Not that silicone spray would eat them anyway.

The main problem with silicone lubricants is that they can break down <u>silicone</u> parts. Usually the only time I really see this come up is on um... extra-curricular websites that are warning you to not use certain toys with certain lubricants (most personal lubricants are either silicone or water based today).

From the back of the Gunk silicone spray can: "LIQUID WRENCH (R) Heavy Duty Silicone Spray Lubricant waterproofs, rustproofs, and lubricates. High dielectric characteristics. For rubber, wood, plastic, vinyl, and metal."

http://www.gunk.com/CAT_M914.asp
Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jesus man. they have a section of just lubes and sprays. this isn't that hard.

try going to home depot. they have it there too, but they will know what you're asking for and where to find it.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Freakin' Window (Blk00EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh boy... regardless of brand, the can should have the phrase "silicon spray" on it. WD-40 is a popular form of silicon-based spray lube.

But you don't want to use silicon spray on anything rubber or plastic. Silicon will slowly break down the polymers contained in those components. That's why silicon-based lube and condoms are a no-no . Try graphite lube in some sort of a liquid suspension, i.e. get a graphite lube spray, so you don't have to rub the dry compound on the entire track path.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Oh, and I just noticed you said not to use silicone lubricants with condoms. Latex condoms and silicone lubricant are totally fine. It's silicone lubricants and silicone based toys that you get into trouble. Old oil based lubricants could cause trouble with condoms.

Water based lubes of course are safest, but might not be the best idea for shower use (which is where silicone lubricants work best - where they don't stain the sheets forever).

Your window tracks? That's a fine place for automotive grade silicone spray lubricant like the stuff I linked to earlier.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by csulliva &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jesus man. they have a section of just lubes and sprays. this isn't that hard.

try going to home depot. they have it there too, but they will know what you're asking for and where to find it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I work at Autozone. I know exactly where it is in my store and wouldn't look with a blank expression. If you just ask for "lube" (as so many people do), then yes, I might be a little more vague in telling you where it is. I would follow up with asking what you need the lubricant for so I could point you in a more approximate location.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Freakin' Window (NOFX)

hah... I may have gotten mixed up in my statement. Petroleum based sprays break down plastics. Although, I believe WD-40 onto painted surfaces isn't recommended. All I know is I sucked at chem through college so I usually learn the hard way when mixing substances... of course, not referring to any of the aforementioned materials btw.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:48 AM

Off track again: let me guess.... 96-00 Civic EX/EJ8?
If so, new regulator will permanently fix that, Honda updated the design so this screwup will stop happening.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Freakin' Window (Davus)

Is there play in the window??
if there is you need a regulator.
Put the lube down son
Old 04-06-2008, 06:36 AM

I used a small amount of vaseline. My window go's up and down with out any problems. If u have any questions AOL AIM me.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:41 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Freakin' Window (Davus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Davus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Off track again: let me guess.... 96-00 Civic EX/EJ8?
If so, new regulator will permanently fix that, Honda updated the design so this screwup will stop happening.</TD></TR></TABLE>
This happens to all trims of 6thgen Civics, both with and without power windows. In fact, I currently have a '97 CX hatch in my garage suffering from this problem bad.

The regulators between the power and non power windows are not the same exact design. This leads me to suspect it's not the regulator design that is flawed at all, but rather the lack of lubrication. I'm not sure of the construction of other model's, so I'm not sure why this happens to often on 6th gen Civics, but not as often on other models.

Here's how it happens:

Lack of lube in the tracks along the sides of the window glass causes the window to become difficult to roll up or down (either with power or manually).

IF you catch it just at this point, you can lubricate the tracks and save yourself a lot of hassle. If you haven't yet experienced this, I still suggest you lubricate your tracks as a preventative measure.

The tracks being so difficult to move along causes the regulator to bend because you're trying to roll the window up/down, but the tracks and glass are basically working against you. So this causes stress on the regulator, bending it. The tracks can also bend from the stress on them. At this point you will need to replace the regulator and probably the tracks as long as you continue.

If you continue working against a very difficult to move window and you have power windows, you could potentially begin to burn the motor out, causing the need for replacement of that motor.

Sometimes the regulator and/or tracks bending causes the glass to violently pop off of the tracks and project out of the window frame. This (or trying to shove the glass back into place) can cause damage to the seals along the top and sides of the window frame, meaning they now need to be replaces.

Once you replace everything that needs to be replaced, you will still want to have some of that silicone lubricant on hand. Spray it on once you're sure everything is correctly assembled (could get messy otherwise) and then spray it on periodically to keep things moving smoothly.

The CX I have, with it's manual doors, needs at least a new regulator, new window seals (on the front and back - this will probably result in replacing the top since I think it could be built into one of the sides), and probably new tracks judging by the last time I looked at them and the hell that window has been through (people roll it down without thinking).

Cliffs:
No lube on tracks = stress on regulator and tracks.
Stress on regulator and tracks = damaged regulator and tracks.
Stress on regulator and tracks can = burnt out motor on models with power.
Stress on regulator and tracks can = window popping out of frame.
Window popping out of frame = damaged window seals.