Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

found the problem finally

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 06:00 AM
hatchboy93

Default found the problem finally

ok so i decided to read my ecu code while my car was running and it worked. my ecu was throwing code 23 and i lookd it up and its the knock sensor. only problem is that i have it hooked up. the only thing i cna think of is that its a defective sensor. could that be true?? has anyone ever had this happen? and if so is it hard to replace the knock sensor??
Old 04-24-2003, 06:09 AM
Xsi
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: found the problem finally (hatchboy93)

Try resetting the ECU first and see if the code goes away
Old 04-24-2003, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: found the problem finally (Xsi)

No vtec. That could explain a few things.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: found the problem finally (White Lightnin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Lightnin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No vtec. That could explain a few things.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No **** that would make the car feel like ***.

Any other coes?

Oh and dopuble check the pin location to make sure that the knock is in the right location.

Pic courtesy of Katman:

Double check all of your wiring. Do not worry about the yellow blocks - those are GS-R only and are not to be used for the ITR motor or B16A.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:31 AM
hatchboy93

Default Re: found the problem finally (White Lightnin)

yea resetting the ecu doesnt help the code is still coming up. well when i use a chipped p28 ecu that doesnt look for knowck sensor the car runs fine vtec and everything. its great and strong but whenever i use a ecu that looks for knock sensor it bogs down right when vtec kicks in. so it cant be my vtec wires. my ecu is throwing knock sensor code (23) so i need to troubleshoot from there. its hooked up so i suppose its a defective sensor but i dont know how to replace it
Old 04-24-2003, 06:32 AM
hatchboy93

Default Re: found the problem finally (hatchboy93)

i did check the pin on the ecu last night and it is in the correct place. i have that same diagram. so it has to be the sensor itself i suppose
Old 04-24-2003, 06:41 AM

Make sure the wire is pinned down right. That was my problem, my connector wasn't making contact. If your pin and wiring is all good, time to take the KS off and get it tested and/or replaced.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:45 AM
hatchboy93

Default Re: (fOmaNPu)

well i would do that but how can i get to it with the motor in the car its kinda hard to get up to the back and then get leverage to loosenit and pull it out. also is oil or any liquid going to pour out if i did take it out?
Old 04-24-2003, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchboy93)

I called that KS problem in the other thread you had running last night about this problem
Old 04-24-2003, 07:42 AM
hatchboy93

Default Re: (b16a ferio)

yea good call. but now how to fix it lol. i need to know how dificult it is to remove the knock sensor while the motor is still in the car and if i take it out is anykinda fluid gonna come spilling out
Old 04-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

No fluid will spill out. The knock sensor hole basically is just like an empty threaded boss for the knock sensor to screw into.

The KS just detects knocks by actually sensing extra vibration pretty much.

So your answer is no there will be no fluids spilling out.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

I hate knock sensors...lol.

In a earlier post, you said it can't be wiring because vtec works with an ecu that doesn't look for a knock sensor....and doesn;t work with an ecu that does.

That makes no sense because if the ecu doesn't look for the knock sensor, then it won't know if the wiring/sensor is bad no matter what. I say you still need to re-check your wiring....The only time I've had to replace a knock sensor was when it actually shattered
Old 04-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will the VTEC not work without the knock sensor, because the guy that's doing my swap didn't wire up the sensor, and he said it won't make a diff.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:37 AM
hatchboy93

Default Re: (thehatchninja)

tha is fine if u are going to be using a chipped ecu such as the p28 those ecu's dont look for the knock sensor. but if u are going to be running any dual over head cam vtec ecu such as p61 or p30 or p72 then u are going to have it wired up correctly
Old 04-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thehatchninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will the VTEC not work without the knock sensor, because the guy that's doing my swap didn't wire up the sensor, and he said it won't make a diff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah...if you're running a stock ecu with knock sensor readings...your car's gona run like poop. It retards your timing a grip, puts it in safe mode, therefore disabling vtec, etc.....get that shiz hooked up w3rd
Old 04-24-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Re: (Emerika)

that's weird guys. maybe it's different in obd1 but in my crx(obd0) i don't have my knock sensor hooked up (it was shattered) and i'm running a stock pr3 ecu and i have vtec. So what's the deal? I just have the check engine light, but i still have vtec and am pretty fast (fast enough to beat a 5th gen prelude)
Old 04-24-2003, 11:48 AM
hatchboy93

Default Re: (PhatHardy)

im not even gonna comment
Old 04-24-2003, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no wonder they can't get it to run right...idiots, i knew i should have just finished her myself.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:28 PM

when i first swapped in my b-series into my ek...i threw a knock sensor code FOREVER...i knew it had to be something weird b/c the wire was run correctly and everything had a good connection. come to find out, if you do not use the factory knock sensor WIRING, you may throw a undetermined knock sensor code. not until i purchased a vtec equipped engine harness did my code go away. since that day i've had zero knock codes.

BTW, don't know if you've seen it, but the knock sensor has a very thick shielded wire that runs through the wiring harness, protecting it from unnecessary exposure to vibrations and such.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:41 PM
hatchboy93

Default Re: (B16b2b)

well the thing is im using a 94 gsr engine harness so the knowck sensor is wired in the harness. instead of tapping into the knock sensor wire directly at the sensor i followed the wire all the way to the shock tower and tapped into it there for a cleaner look then ran a wire from the shock tower to the ecu. no the knock sensor wire is a red wire withe a blue strip so on the engine harness it was the only wire liek that thats how i tapped into it. but when i get home im gonna try tappin into it directly from the sensor to the ecu and see if that solves the problem
Old 04-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16b2b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16b2b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i first swapped in my b-series into my ek...i threw a knock sensor code FOREVER...i knew it had to be something weird b/c the wire was run correctly and everything had a good connection. come to find out, if you do not use the factory knock sensor WIRING, you may throw a undetermined knock sensor code. not until i purchased a vtec equipped engine harness did my code go away. since that day i've had zero knock codes.

BTW, don't know if you've seen it, but the knock sensor has a very thick shielded wire that runs through the wiring harness, protecting it from unnecessary exposure to vibrations and such.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have to use shielded wire for the KS, or it will pick up interference and thus throw the code. &lt;-------all the way to the ECU
Old 04-25-2003, 09:57 PM
hatchboy93

Default Re: (hatchdrvr)

ok well im using a p28 chipped ecu and it doesnt look for knock sensor but it still bogs down when vtec kicks in but this time vtec kicks in at 5400 rpms so now its bogging at 5400 rpms. i have run out of ideas i dont know what to do now. i have checked everything vtec kicks in but right when it kicks in ( u can hear vtec the intake changes sound to really loud) it still bogs does ynone know what it could be??? could it be my timing, or my distributor, or something else its dfinately not knock sensor this time because im running a ecu that doesnt look for it