Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Foged headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foged headlamps

Is it possible to un-fog, foged headlamps. I replaced the old foged ones but my new ones are starting to fog and I dont want to spend another $300 bucks on them.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Foged headlamps (binkster)

When you say "foged" are you talking on the inside of the lense or the outside?
Old 10-28-2003, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Foged headlamps (axhandler)

if its on the outside and they are plastic you can polish them with a bufing compound and a buffer.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Foged headlamps (b16matt)

Inside.. and yea I think there plastic.. not sure though
Old 10-28-2003, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Add silicone around the edges. Or you can heat them up and press them together first. Silicone around the edges where the housings meet the lenses is your friend though!!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Foged headlamps (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Add silicone around the edges. Or you can heat them up and press them together first. Silicone around the edges where the housings meet the lenses is your friend though!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

...and go to Advanced Auto Parts and get windshield silicone. They have some there that is called Leak Finder or something like that. It works really good. A quick way to get the fog out of the headlights is to turn on your headlights and let them heat up the inside so all the moisture evaporates, and then run a bead of that silicone around the edges and your problem should be solved.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Foged headlamps (DSeriesBKilla)

Window weld is too expensive. Go to wal-mart and in their automotive department get clear RTV silicone that is what i used and works great it is like 2 or 3 bucks
Old 10-28-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Foged headlamps (99blackcivicSi)

thanks for the preventive maintance tips, but how do I get the fog out of the ones I have.. If I turn them on and heat them up the moisture doesnt escape it just relocates...
Old 10-28-2003, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could drill a tiny hole in the bottom and then heat them up... that way all the moisture will go out the hole... not sure if this is a good idea though, I've seen some people do this without problems, but then again I havent talked to those people in a while and dont know if they had to replace the lights anyway... someone shed some light on this please

but you could just take the whole light apart, take a blowdryer to it, then re-seal it with the silicon
Old 10-28-2003, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Foged headlamps (EGRhatch)

heat oven to 300
put headlights in for 5-7 minutes
use a butterknife to pry them open
run a bead of silicon in the grove where the housing meets the clear part
press back together

it sounds intimidating, but trust me, it isnt. you can also clean, paint, HID retrofit whilst you have them open
Old 10-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Foged headlamps (Feuerraeder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Feuerraeder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heat oven to 300
put headlights in for 5-7 minutes
use a butterknife to pry them open
run a bead of silicon in the grove where the housing meets the clear part
press back together

it sounds intimidating, but trust me, it isnt. you can also clean, paint, HID retrofit whilst you have them open
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup. Seems like it would be tough, but it's not. Just do them a little at a time (reheat if the glue seems to be hardening agian. I used multiple screwdrivers to pop it open!!
Old 10-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Foged headlamps (99blackcivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Window weld is too expensive. Go to wal-mart and in their automotive department get clear RTV silicone that is what i used and works great it is like 2 or 3 bucks </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know what kinda stuff you're gettin' cuz I only paid like a $1.99 for mine...
Old 10-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are these factory headlamps or aftermarket? My gf just told me that her new Denji Projectors are foggin up. Finally gives me an excuse to bake them open and mess with the Angel Eyes Good luck on yours, I've read the directions for opening the headlamps too many times. It's time to actually try it. I just gotta be careful since these are aftermarket lamps so the quality probably isn't the best. Has anyone opened aftermarket lamps yet? Any experiences?
Old 10-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

real easy, just did mine today, take headlight out and rubber piece and stick a hair dryer in the hole and leave it on high for like ten min. is this an ek?
Old 10-31-2003, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so My gf has brand new Denji Projector/Angel Eye lights. the driverside fogged up like crazy, it's been like this for a day or two. So today, I take the lights and add silicone all over the top edge where the lens meets the unit. Ran all day with the headlights on. And at first it looks like the condensation and fog are starting to disappear. Park the car and run an errand and come back to the car to find that it fogged back up. It's driving me crazy. Does anyone know what to do to fix this? The kinda look like these lights, just imagine them with a lense over the front. It's stressing both of us out cuz she wants to keep them but my shop won't get them till next year as Denji is backordered. Help!!

Old 10-31-2003, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: (Knightmare69)

Just warm them up like you've been doing... THEN take out the headlight bulb (don't touch the bulb glass) and let them sit... the water will evaporate out of the hole...

If there is another socket in there you can leave the headlight bulb in and pull the other one... that'd probobly work the best...

If that still doesn't work then take them off the car and take out the bulbs and put them in the oven... then I'd split them apart... clean the old adhesive off (huge pain in the butt (just a tip.. use a dry finger to rub it off... it beats your hands up after a while but it works good)) clean and DRY lenses and housings... re-seal...

You could probobly get away with just heating them up and letting them sit so the headlight socket hole is facing up... that way it give a good path out for the moisture...

A hair dryer would also probobly work...

Taking them FULLY apart and cleaning them/re-sealing them is the best and most permenant fix though (depending on how well/bad you do it.)
Old 10-31-2003, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NonovUrbizniz)

Thanks for the info. I already did a set of OEM lights the night before in black so I know taking the lights apart are a PITA. Problem is that I don't wanna do it to the aftermarket ones due to build quality although I heard that Denji is a very reputable company. The only problem I see is that there is no escape path for the moisture. I might try taking off the headlight and turning them on while facing up, maybe with the highbeam bulb out it will be able to escape. Thanks again for the tips. Anyone else have any suggestions?