Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fog lights love to burn up the harness, nayone esle having this problem on 92-95?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights love to burn up the harness, nayone esle having this problem on 92-95?

search already so dont bother with that line, this will be my third time replacing the wire running from the foglight internals to the harness plug, so its not a very long wire or a hard process, heres the scoop, the wire burns up when its bumped, i believe that the foglight housing is shorting out on the bumper reinforcement, is anyone esle having this problem?, i mean ya i realize this is gonna keep happening if it dont cut some stuff out, but i wonder if its just my shitty luck?, and you will rpobably ask about the fuse, lets say i temporarily (bypassed) it , i actually wanted the wires to burn up again, while i observed, i was able to recreate the problem if i pushed it inward lightly toward the reinforcement, anyway, i wondere if its just me or anyone else having this problem also feel free to through in some (well i blew a fuse) cause that would mean the same thing in most cases. either way im gonna start either cutting stuff away from behind it our insulate the foglight housing, and all this on my birthday DAMN IT! but i need my yellow fogs

thanks for your time
Old 11-16-2006, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Fog lights love to burn up the harness, nayone esle having this problem on 92-95? (hondalover91c

What do you mean by "the wire burns up when its bumped"??

And which wire are u replacing? Pictures?

ppl have had problems with main harness burning up or warming up..

really want to know about this....

Also on the 92-95fogs there is that big hole on the bracket... it sort of lines up with a hole in the frame behind it... if you look care fully.

a reason why it could be shorting, is that the power and ground of the bulb got mixed up, at the fog light housing's harness...

cause the h3 surrounding is the ground, and the little wire in thick nylon looming is the positive.. i think
Old 11-17-2006, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fog lights love to burn up the harness, nayone esle having this problem on 92-95? (hondalover91c

has happened to me b4.. the wire on one of my fog lights stripped a bit and when i hit something since my car is low it would sometimes short out burning a fuse tho. i taped the wire and all is good now
Old 11-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i didnt do anything about it today so ill take some pictures for you tomorow to explain what i mean, and its the black wire, no nylon shield, i believe its the ground, because its grounds to the housing inside the housing, everything looks correct when i open it up, but ill take some pics for ya

thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gonna say sounds like a ground...the wiring harness should have its own ground, i know my ek does

had a similar problem with my swap - and wiring burning up
Old 11-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cover your foglight bracket and the foglight itself on the back all over with electrical tape. Cover the bumper reinforcement with electrical tape where you think it hits. My foglights do the same thing except the fuse blows every time it hits the chassis. I have to cover with electrical tape and now it works fine.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, wires are crossing and creating voltage a single wire cannot handle. Either get a bigger wire to run or properly shield everything

Bathory - Blood Fire Death (1988) - 02 - A Fine Day To Die.mp3 [256Kbps] (08:37)
Old 11-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i covered the bumper support with duct tape which is just as good as electrical tape, and i rewired the foglights again, put in a fuse this time instead of jumping it, and checked the harness ground, its all good now, come to find out the problem was that the bolts in the bottom of the bumper werent in, that made the whole bumper rotate inward, cause the foglight bracket to touch, and caused it to ground out, so its all back together, thanks for the input, i have all the pictures i just have to load them onto my computer, and thanks greg, i made sure my harness ground was good, but if you think about one big difference between my foglights and yours on the EK, is that you probably had more money than i did and ordered a much better set, you might remember how much i said they cost, 36$ on EBAY, haha, greg give me a call dude, i gotta show you somethin on the car, and i wanna drink some beers bitch, DO IT.

thanks guys