Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

trailer wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer wiring problem

I have a 1997 LS that I tow a small trailer with somewhat frequently. My trailer lights do not work at all now. The trailer lights work when I hook up the trailer to a friend's truck, so that eliminates any trailer wiring, socket, or bulb issues. I have not looked into the problem for a while so don't quite remember what I found out, but at the time, I poked around with a DMM and thought I traced the problem to the wire harness that plugs into the vehicle's OEM 6 pin trailer connector behind the left tail light assembly. The harness goes from a 6 wire deal into a little box with a couple diodes and reduces to the four pin that attaches to the trailer. I had bought a cheap one online and thought it crapped out, so I replaced it, and it did not fix the problem.

I've searched for fuses and looked through my owners manual, but can not find out what fuse the trailer lights are on. My brake, tail, turn, and reverse lights on the car all work. I've checked whatever fuses not on those circuits I thought might include the trailer lights, but have had no luck. I've searched online to find out which fuse the trailer lights would be on, with no luck, and I've searched this forum (and others) for trailer light problems and not had luck.

Does anyone know which fuse the trailer lights are on? Does anyone have Mitchell, Alldata, etc at work? Anyone with a Helms manual, or even a crummier manual? At this point, I'm wondering if I have to start removing interior side panels and chase a short.

Thanks...
Old 10-23-2018, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: trailer wiring problem

I've never seen or noticed an OEM trailer plug on a Honda car, are you sure that wasn't just wired into the wiring harness by someone? There ins't much to it. Brakes lights to brakes, running lights to running, left blinker to left, etc.
If you need a shop manual google honda hookup pdf manual. A charged battery, a volt meter and a few minutes of electrical troubleshooting will hopefully point you in the right direction.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thewrai6th
I've never seen or noticed an OEM trailer plug on a Honda car, are you sure that wasn't just wired into the wiring harness by someone? There ins't much to it. Brakes lights to brakes, running lights to running, left blinker to left, etc.
If you need a shop manual google honda hookup pdf manual. A charged battery, a volt meter and a few minutes of electrical troubleshooting will hopefully point you in the right direction.
Yes, it has a factory trailer wiring harness, and whichever model you have, I'm sure it does too. To my knowledge, all Hondas from the early 90s and up have them, and I would think they continue to have them. It's a six pin harness located behind the left tail light, accessible through the removable hatch thing that you use to change out light bulbs. I've just said that I've probed around with a voltmeter and didn't find the problem.

It's not as simple as light to light because integras have bulbs with two filaments that function as brake lights and tail lights. Hence the six pin connection. With a four wire trailer harness, that must be reduced, so an aftermarket (I'm sure Honda/Acura made them from the factory at one time) harness with a little black box reduces that six pin stuff down to four pins, presumably by combining grounds and I think with a couple diodes. But the brake and tail lights must be separated by a go between harness.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Train
Yes, it has a factory trailer wiring harness, and whichever model you have, I'm sure it does too.
I actually went out and checked my cars, EJ8, DC2, DC5, none of them have anything of the sort connected to the rear wiring harness.
Originally Posted by Train
I've just said that I've probed around with a voltmeter and didn't find the problem.
Might want to get someone with some electrical experience to come over and help. Lamps have a + and a ground. Some lamps have two + for dual filament (brake, running lights, and/or turn signal). You need a good common ground for all lamps.
The trailer lamps are on the same fuse as the rest of your lights.