Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

first start fails. second start OK...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:08 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first start fails. second start OK...

Hi all. obviously new here but have a long history on the protege forums and various other car boards. I've searched... I can't find this anywhere.

My '96 LX 1.6 sohc is having a strange problem. Like me, it seems it doesn't want to go to work. First thing in the morning it turns over fine, but doesn't start. So I take my truck to work. When I get home and turn the key, it starts totally fine just it should. This happens most mornings but not all. When it does start and I take it to work, it starts fine at the end of the work day. Once it starts, there is no lack of power (well, there's ALWAYS a lack of power ), no hesitation, no stumbling..

Cap and rotor, plugs, wires are less than a year old. I've checked electrical connections and put electrical cleaner on most of them.

Any ideas? Thank you!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: first start fails. second start OK...

It might be the starter or distributor? Having problems getting spark in the distributor was one of my car problems and it would shut down my car while driving. Or simply the starter...
Old 05-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

CEL codes?

When the engine won't start, listen for whether the fuel pump primes and watch for whether the CEL stays on steady. Also check for bright white spark at the four plugs.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:26 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like a possible main relay, do what RonJ said above and it will confirm.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Trial User

no CEL light, but I haven't read the codes. Perhaps there are codes stored that don't turn on the light... Hard to hear fuel pump - My street is noisy and there's never a whine from it even when it starts fine. I should probably pull the back seat so I can hear better.

CEL is on steady when not starting. Normally when it doesn't start I'm trying to get to work and don't have luxury of time to pull the plugs and check for spark... If it fails on the weekend I'll have an opportunity.

I did read elsewhere that turning the key a few times prior to starting helps prime the system. (i think what I read said it could be pressure drop due to very slight injector leak and this helps overcome it - is that true?) I did it this morning and the car started. But I don't know if I've found a temporary work-around or if it would have started anyhow...

I've never had the car shut down while driving and it turns over fine - just doesn't start - so I kinda doubt it's starter related, and never had any issue once the car is running so dizzy would surprise me. At this point I'm much more looking at spark or fuel - will investigate and post back.

thanks for your help so far.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To hear fuel pump, remove fuel cap and put ear to hole. Have buddy turn key from OFF to ON(II).
Old 05-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by tiwing
no CEL light, but I haven't read the codes. Perhaps there are codes stored that don't turn on the light... Hard to hear fuel pump - My street is noisy and there's never a whine from it even when it starts fine. I should probably pull the back seat so I can hear better.

CEL is on steady when not starting. Normally when it doesn't start I'm trying to get to work and don't have luxury of time to pull the plugs and check for spark... If it fails on the weekend I'll have an opportunity.

I did read elsewhere that turning the key a few times prior to starting helps prime the system. (i think what I read said it could be pressure drop due to very slight injector leak and this helps overcome it - is that true?) I did it this morning and the car started. But I don't know if I've found a temporary work-around or if it would have started anyhow...

I've never had the car shut down while driving and it turns over fine - just doesn't start - so I kinda doubt it's starter related, and never had any issue once the car is running so dizzy would surprise me. At this point I'm much more looking at spark or fuel - will investigate and post back.

thanks for your help so far.
Confusing don't you think?
Old 05-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Confusing don't you think?
I suppose. I was answering RonJ's questions in the order they were asked. To clarify and eliminate any other confusion:

Originally Posted by RonJ
CEL codes?
1) No there is no CEL under normal operating conditions when car is running after it has started.

Originally Posted by RonJ
When the engine won't start, listen for whether the fuel pump primes and watch for whether the CEL stays on steady.
2) But CEL is on solid when trying to start (as most dash lights and warning lights normally are).
Old 05-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2) But CEL is on solid when trying to start (as most dash lights and warning lights normally are).
Check CEL when key is turned from OFF to ON(II). Answer question about priming.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:26 AM
Trial User

CEL comes on solid when key goes from off to II, then turns off after 2-3 seconds (normal timing) at the same time there is a "click" from the engine - sounds like a relay click. Has occurred every time I've started over the past couple of days when I've actually been paying attention, and is consistent with every car I've owned.

Fuel pump seems to prime every time - seems to run the same amount of time each time key is turned, maybe 1 second or so (makes me think it's on a timer, not based on fuel system pressure?)

Failed start when turning key from off to start immediately this morning without time to finish priming the first time. Waited 5 minutes, turned the key 3 times to on without starting, let the pump prime, and then she started fine...
Old 05-22-2015, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

CEL comes on solid when key goes from off to II, then turns off after 2-3 seconds (normal timing) at the same time there is a "click" from the engine - sounds like a relay click. Has occurred every time I've started over the past couple of days when I've actually been paying attention, and is consistent with every car I've owned.

Fuel pump seems to prime every time - seems to run the same amount of time each time key is turned, maybe 1 second or so (makes me think it's on a timer, not based on fuel system pressure?)
These tests^ must be done when engine won't start or you learn nothing from them.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:27 AM
Trial User

That's what happened this morning - when I first tried to start, it turned over but wouldn't catch.

Sorry I did turn the key this morning again right after no start - sounded like the fuel pump primed and CEL was on for normal duration. wouldn't start again. ... then I waited and 5 minutes later all was good.

sorry my earlier post wasn't entirely clear what happened. I think I was still asleep.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what happened this morning - when I first tried to start, it turned over but wouldn't catch.

Sorry I did turn the key this morning again right after no start - sounded like the fuel pump primed and CEL was on for normal duration. wouldn't start again. ... then I waited and 5 minutes later all was good.

sorry my earlier post wasn't entirely clear what happened. I think I was still asleep.
This^ result was also ambiguous because the engine started after the pump primed and CEL turned off.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:21 AM
Trial User

I guess there is no solid lead then because it always starts after a short wait. Thanks for your help gentlemen!
Old 05-24-2015, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've learned to keep the key into the 2nd position for about 4 seconds before moving to 3rd position, This seems to give enough to time to "prime" it (although it shouldn't need it as there isn't a carburetor). I don't question it... as long as it works.