Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

::::car not starting::::

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ::::car not starting::::

hopefully someone has some direction for me.

the car: eg hatch
motor: b18b1 LS
problem: car won't start.

here's what happened...weeks ago car jittered on freeway, dropped rpms and died. i pulled over, and couldn't get it to start(car was turning over so starter was good). I replaced the distributor cap. compression started it on freeway and it ran like a champ for about a week... then car started jittering feeling like it was going to die just put'n' around town every so often so i got new spark plugs and wires car never ran better...for about a week. outta no where it wouldn't start up in the morning. so i bought a used dizzy from a salvage yard and car was up and running...sweet. well a week later, car jitters, drops rpms and dies. doesn't start. i turn it over about 5-6 times, still no start. i wait five minutes...and it starts up again and drives fine for a week till yesterday. same thing happens coming home from work, car dies won't start, turn it over 5-6 times still won't start, wait about 5 min...and car starts up and i barely make it home to my driveay where it dies again. I had the battery tested and it was good. i'm thinking about replacing a coil or getting a whole new distributor all together. I just don't have the crazy car knowledge that some of you guys on here do and i'm trying to save myself some cash by not going to a mechanic and gett'n' raped on the labor costs... so give me some options and opinions. thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 07:30 AM

Default Re: ::::car not starting:::: (phathatch)

Ok, so it looks like your getting sparks at the right time. But what about Fuel? Check you fuel pressure. Are you getting a Check Engine Light?

:Edit: I also had to replace the coil, but it went bad with no warning and wouldnt start at all on mine.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:43 AM

Default Re: ::::car not starting:::: (onefast93sol)

are you sure the starter is good like you say, maybe you have a loose wire. happened to me and never had problems. even replacing the fuse, -died on me on the freeway
Old 05-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ::::car not starting:::: (onefast93sol)

i do have a CEL on but that's because after the swap i didn't have a speedometer sensor. i'll check into it more tonight and try and figure out what codes it throws
Old 05-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody else have any suggestions as to what could be going on??
Old 05-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like main relay is going bad. If the relay is going bad your car will turn over and not start. It can be intermittent meaning you can be driving and it can stop working and car will die. Its under the dash drivers side above the fuses.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:11 PM

Can you please be specific about the sound you hear?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ::::car not starting:::: (spoonracer84eg)

a few people have told me the relay is probobly bad... so I'll pick up a new relay and try and fix it myself (i've never done it before so i don't know how hard it is to replace) but i'll try

the other thing is i checked the CEL codes tonight and it threw a 17 (speedo sensor) i already knew it would throw that going into it cause i haven't had a speedo since the swap but if there were other problems wouldn't it throw other codes??? or does some codes override others??

thanks for the help everybody. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:54 PM
99-0104

the main relay is a possiblity but i doubt it ... could be your fuel pump ... check to see if you have power going to your fuel pump when it wont start and if you do have power going to it then it is probally the fuel pump ... if not suspect the main relay or the ignition switch ... that can cause the same problem
Old 05-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ::::car not starting:::: (Stripped Honda)

Did you get it fixed?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ::::car not starting:::: (Stripped Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stripped Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the main relay is a possiblity but i doubt it ... could be your fuel pump ... check to see if you have power going to your fuel pump when it wont start and if you do have power going to it then it is probally the fuel pump ... if not suspect the main relay or the ignition switch ... that can cause the same problem </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with you. Check the fuel pump. The same thing happened to my buddie what a EG hatch with LS motor. He changed the fuel pimp and it ran like a champ again
Old 05-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ::::car not starting:::: (spoonracer84eg)

ok i put in a new main relay yesterday and so far no problems...i drove to my buddies house and back with no problems..."so far" i'm going to get a fuel pressure gauge and try to install that today and I'll let you guys know what happens with that. you guys have been a huge help. thanks.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:22 AM

yeah it could either be that, or your dizzy could definitely be bad... i was driving my old eg with b16 swap... car sputters and dies, seal on the dizzy was bad a little bit of oil was getting inside and the car wouldnt run anymore. had the same symptoms.... bought a dizzy from distributorking on ebay and worked like a champ... doubt its fuel pump... but it never hurts to run a voltage meter on it.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ::::car not starting:::: (egcivicdelsol)

i actually already bought a new (used) distributor from a honda salvage yard and it's been in the car for like three weeks. so the dizzy shouldn't be a prob.