Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Car

Im thinking about buying a 96 integra gs or a 96 civic cx hatch. Wich would be the better choise. Any sugestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First Car (lcross)

it's your car man. don't ask people what car you should get. cause if you listen to them, you might not like it after you buy it. you just really have to find what best fits you. be patience.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:40 PM

id go teggy although ive only owned civics im in the market for a itr gsr is a good solid base for a perforance car unless you find a civic with a clean swap *** a single cam
Old 11-30-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: First Car (kleeeee)

i like them both but im looking for a good base platform for a good performing daily driver.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lcross &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i like them both but im looking for a good base platform for a good performing daily driver.</TD></TR></TABLE>
they both are...any particular reason why they both have to be a 96?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:52 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: First Car (Boost_V)

look for both when you find a good clean deal on one buy it. finding used civics and integra's are hard enough

you'll run into jerryrigged crap all day long and eventually you'll find a clean old lady owned civic or integra
Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: First Car (Boost_V)

just happend to be like that. they r both silver too.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: (1sickEJ)

x2 you should get what you want, maybe go through the forum and find some pics of other peeps cars, and see what you like.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re:

thanks for the suggestions
Old 12-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get both.
na.
i like both
Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you even driven either of them?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:20 AM

Default Re: (NOFX)

i have the civic
Old 12-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you even driven either of them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you really have to ask?

@ OP:
If you're going for a CX I'm guessing you're going for fuel economy, because there's nothing else that POS trim is good for (well the 6th gens are fine, but the B8 is a joke) except fuel economy. Though if you were going for fuel economy, I'd suggest the Z1 WAY before I recommend the B8. Get a VX if you're looking for economy, about the same gas mileage + a lot more power.

Though why the Integra base model against honda's slowest model? I'm confused as to why those two trims - in specific.

You're gonna have to work with people here if you want help, like the LS is basically the same, LS/RS/GS, why does it need to be the GS? Why do you want the civic CX over the EX. The Z6 is the best 5th gen motor unless it's straight up highway commute, then the VX gets the metal. the B8 in the CX doesn't even factor into the equation due to how slow it is - CX's are good b/c they have no power options which makes them good, light, shells to swap faster motors into.

So if you want help, you have to help us, to help you.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Syndacate)

both are great cars, research more about the two and compare and contrast one another. To me, i perfer a integra because you can do the Jdm front conversion. I think its because i have owned to much civics in my life.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (PinoyDelSol)

Overall a bone stock Teg will out perform a stock D-series Civic in all areas. Most would agree that an EK is down right ugly compared to a DC.

Remember that you are asking for opinions about what car you should buy which really doesn't get you anywhere.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:56 AM
H-T White Ops

There's two reasons that are usually mentioned for having a CX over an EX. One is very legitimate, the other is arguable.

The CX weighs less than an EX. Yes, but only about 200 pounds less. If you end up wanting power doors and other accessories, you can quickly add up those pounds.

The CX is a hatch. The EX never came as a hatch. A lot of people prefer the hatch over the coupe. The coupe does have a much heavier *** end than the hatches do, because the hatches don't have that long *** hanging out there. This is probably the most noticeably difference between my EX and my boyfriend's CX. He doesn't have the creature comforts like power steering (which I wish it had) or air conditioning (which would be nice since the window on the passenger side still hasn't been fixed. And those definitely make a difference. I also would love for his car to have a moonroof, but hatches in the US didn't get them sadly.

And the reasons he mentioned the 1996 Civic CX and the 1996 Integra GS is because those are the two actual cars he's found and is interested in. It's not that he must prefer those trim levels. It's that those are what he found.

The Civic is cheaper to modify just because there are parts in those Integras that are so often swapped into the Civics. One of my issues that I always saw with the Integras (besides the dated dash) was that I would like a better motor than the B18B1. Yet it seems sort of a shame to remove an okay engine. If there were a weaker and cheaper trim, I'd prefer it as long as it still had other things I was looking for. In the case of the Integra, that would include the body style too since I'm not really a fan of sedans.

Both are pretty similar if you're looking to modify them. You can swap the same engines into them. There are front end conversions for both. There are two different fronts for each car's spoken generation ('96-'98 and '99-'00 for the Civic and '94-'97 and '98-'01 for the Integra). Each of these switches also coming with different rear ends too.

Since they're so similar, I'd say drive them both, figure out which one drives more like you're interested in. Find out which interior you prefer, and look at some modified Civics and Integras to figure out which look you prefer. The Integra, besides the dash, would be a second choice for me since I don't like it's googly eyed US expression, which imo seems uncharacteristic of Honda.

I'd say the best thing you could really do is drive both of them though.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:07 AM

i say screw both teg and civic..they are 96's!! OBDII

yeah it can be swapped to obdI with a harness and ecu but still...

plus i say get the hatch... civics are wayyy funner than a teggy..
i have a h22a1 swap in my 92 hatch that weighs 1920lbs...and lets just say...S2ks, rsx-s, etc.....are NO competition to me.... car is quick for being so stock....meaning all i have is a OEM h22 swap....I/H/E y0
Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 AM

In the long run, I prefer Civic's, but I'm guessing you won't have a lot of money to work with. The Integra is probably the better car to start with because they both have a ton of aftermarket parts available, but the Integra already has a great motor with a lot more potential for power. You can put a good turbo setup on the Integra engine and run 8-10 psi(tuned properly) without having to do much else and have all the power and reliability you would need for a first car. Personally, I don't like the look of those ej hatches either, and the Integra has a nicer interior.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Though why the Integra base model against honda's slowest model? I'm confused as to why those two trims - in specific.

You're gonna have to work with people here if you want help, like the LS is basically the same, LS/RS/GS, why does it need to be the GS? Why do you want the civic CX over the EX. The Z6 is the best 5th gen motor unless it's straight up highway commute, then the VX gets the metal. the B8 in the CX doesn't even factor into the equation due to how slow it is - CX's are good b/c they have no power options which makes them good, light, shells to swap faster motors into.

So if you want help, you have to help us, to help you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he did not mention the fact that those are two cars he has found. not that hes looking for them, just ones hes found.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:51 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (sleepyH22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleepyH22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i say screw both teg and civic..they are 96's!! OBDII</TD></TR></TABLE>
He could always swap to OBDI if he really wants to. Not to mention, not everyone wants OBDI.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 AM

I think the main question is.....would you rather have a stock CX hatch, a stock GS Teg, or my '00 Silver hatch with B16 in it.....your choice.....but i just want to get rid of my car.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 AM

the only reason to get a hatch is to swap. which is what im doing