Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

few ej8 hanress questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More harness questions (Edited)

ok i have a 97 hatch... i baught it with the b16 swap in it and im tryin to work its kinks out.. the stock harness on this car runs straight to ecu.. there are no jumper plugs on my pass shock tower.. the stock harness was used... the 1st o2 has been extented to reach the first o2 however the car did not have the 2nd o2 and i cannot find the 2nd o2 sensor plug ANYWHERE ive uncovered unused plugs while diggin around but not what i need.. the first plug is a 2 pin round plug with a green and ablack wire... its long so i am assuming that one could be p/s or a/c related as i dont have either anymore... the other is a single pin round plug with a red wire.. but those are neither my main worries i am just throwing a 2nd o2 code i welded the bung and have the sensor in it.. but nowhere to plug it into.....

Modified by EKRboi at 3:36 PM 7/18/2006
Old 07-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few ej8 hanress questions (EKRboi)

UPDATE: ok i was juts out lookin around some coming out of the haress that runs by the rad support there is a 4 pin plug that looks like an o2 plug tied up.. now i know the stock motor in the car had an o2 up front so is this really my 1st o2 plug and the one extended should be my 2nd???
Old 07-18-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually the 2nd o2 plug is inside the cabin by the shifter part.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few ej8 hanress questions (hatchi)

i just went and looked around the shifter.. no dice... why would it be inside the car though?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i just went and nearly ripped the carpet outta this thing... no harness near the shifter... expletive it im done searching.. can someone give me a diagram of all the ecu pinouts.. ill wire this thing up manually
Old 07-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha im replying more to me than anyone.. oh well.. neways.. sooo in case anyone has ever thought about buyin a car that was already heavily modified... DONT.. im hating goin behind whoever the expletive built this thing and figure it out.. but anyways...

do the em1s have a 2 part ecu harness?? because here is the best i can tell i know the dash and the cluster and the dash harness have been swapped out because i have the newer dash.. i have tracked the pins for the 2nd o2 down and all three goto where the dash harness connectsabout a foot from the ecu... big green plug.. anyways thats where the wires end they are not on the other side of that plug... no big deal i have a square 4 pin connector so i just have to wire it up by hand..

soooo that goes onto my next question i have three pins... the ground the heater and the signal wire... but i have 4 wires on the o2... no biggie im assuming one is grounded to the car maybe.. but anyways.. i need to know what wires are what on the o2 sensor itself..
Old 07-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

em1 the secondary o2 harness in in the dash harness and goes threw the floor near the shifter, on all of the obd2a cars i have worked on (hx) they are in the engine harness, your secondary o2 should have been in the engine harness so extend it to the secondary position (cat is underneath the car verses in fron of the engine) and extend the primary o2 wire to the primary location.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few ej8 hanress questions (b18ccivics)

i wish i had a stock em1 to look at and a stock ej8 to look at.. it would make things easier.. if what your telling me is true then my stock dash harness was used because the o2 wires terminate at the dash harness... but that still doesnt solve where the 2nd o2 plug on the stock harness went... its just MIA... UNLESS like i was saying earlier coming from around where the A/C stuff would be is a 4 pin connector (looks just like an o2 plug) could this one be the primary considering thats about where it would be on the stock motor.. the one that was extended is all in the same "harness runoff" the vtec stuff.. the revese input plug... n so forth is in.. is this really the 2nd and the other 4 pin plug up front being the primary?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha replying to myself again... neways.. from what i have been able to gather.. the white wire on the o2 is signal.. the green wire on the o2 is ground and both black wires goto 12v switched?? just want to make sure this is correct before i get to the shop tomorrow and screw either the ecu or o2 sensor up

if what im gathering from the OBD2 pinouts located hat the link below is all correct http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=3572
blacks - A5 (blk/wht wire) heater control wires
green - D13 (grn/blk in my case, already looked but could be red/yel) secondary 02 ground
white - D14 (wht/red) secondary o2 signal

Modified by EKRboi at 4:43 PM 7/18/2006
Old 07-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is wiring for 98 civic hx which should match.

primary o2 sensor
black wire = 12v on when start and running (black/yellow)
black wire = ecu a6 (black/white)
white wire = ecu d7 (white)
green wire = ecu d11 (green/black)

secondary o2 sensor
black wire = ecu a5 (black/white)
black wire = 12v on when start and running (black/yellow or black/white)
white wire = ecu d14 (white/red)
green wire = ecu d13 (green/black or red/yellow)

Old 07-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: few ej8 hanress questions (b18ccivics)

thanks man.. i figured all that out.. but i dont have the harness im running it myself.. ive just been trying to figure out how to tell the difference in the two black wires.. but aparantly nothing bad happens when crossed.. the car will just die after like 30 seconds and just switch them.. hopefully im right the first time but if not hopefully what i read was right and nothing fries