Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam

Ok i did a semi tune up, sprayed the tb with carb cleaner and poured seafoam into my brake booster line. Also replaced fuel filter, pcv, techron in the tank, and cap and rotor. I only used about 1/4 can for the carb cleaner and seafoam. I wanted to use more but i had to stop cause i was smokin up my neighborhood. So after doing this i felt like i had lost horespower like maybe 10-15 hp. Anybody know if i did something wrong.
Its an 88 crx with a d16y8 in it.

also when i was changin the fuel filter the gasoline that came out was clear, but i poured the gas out of the old filter into a cup and the gas was foggy brown and there was some brown dirt at the bottom. I dont think it had ever been changed. Anyone ever had this happen before.

your Help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-07-2005, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam (srv3fender)

You didint change your plugs after using sea foam? i think your problem lies there.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your plugs. u get any CEL after u used it? is that the only place u put seafoam was on ur brake booster.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

maybe your engine had upped compression due to carbon build up but it is running normal now?
Old 03-07-2005, 05:03 AM
egizzle8

Default Re: (95cxhatch)

/\ I was gonna say the same thing. Maybe your compression was higher from shitloads of carbon build up and after cleaning it you lower your compression alittle.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egizzle8)

haha, thats going to be a new mod. The carbon build up compression mod
Old 03-07-2005, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam (srv3fender)

DON"T use carb cleaner on a TB!! It is WAY to harsh for the coating in there!! You have to use SPECIAL TB cleaner or Seafoams own DEEP CREEP!!
Old 03-07-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam (shortlid)

no this stuff says its made for intake manifolds and carburators
Old 03-07-2005, 07:01 AM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

just a code 7 and 17 , but i reset the ecu and they never came back
Old 03-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (srv3fender)

so is it fixed?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam (shortlid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shortlid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DON"T use carb cleaner on a TB!! It is WAY to harsh for the coating in there!! You have to use SPECIAL TB cleaner or Seafoams own DEEP CREEP!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

There is no "coating" in a throttle body. Its aluminum. Just like your head, your block, your tranny, etc.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam (Hybrid93Eg)

You might need to do a valve adjustment as well because if you had alot of build up then when you did the seafoam the valves dont sit like they use to because of that.

Anyway change your sparkplugs and do a valve adjustment and you should be good to go.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might need to do a valve adjustment as well because if you had alot of build up then when you did the seafoam the valves dont sit like they use to because of that.

Anyway change your sparkplugs and do a valve adjustment and you should be good to go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That doesn't make sense there. He says it feels like he LOST horsepower.. If carbon build up was so bad it caused the valve seats to not sit correctly, you would have one HELL of lot of compression loss and thus your car would run like complete ***. If anything, the seafoam would remove the carbon and correct this problem which, if anything, would cause him to report a large gain in hp, not a loss.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That doesn't make sense there. He says it feels like he LOST horsepower.. If carbon build up was so bad it caused the valve seats to not sit correctly, you would have one HELL of lot of compression loss and thus your car would run like complete ***. If anything, the seafoam would remove the carbon and correct this problem which, if anything, would cause him to report a large gain in hp, not a loss.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You got it backwards man. All that carbon build-up, over time, will cause the valves to change and adapt to the way it makes them sit. So once you remove all that carbon build-up the valves can't readjust themselves to seat correctly again.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You got it backwards man. All that carbon build-up, over time, will cause the valves to change and adapt to the way it makes them sit. So once you remove all that carbon build-up the valves can't readjust themselves to seat correctly again. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think I am backwards. Carbon on the valveseats will cause them to not seat correctly and will thus allow for a large loss of compression. The problem with this theroy is that the valve actually rotates on the seat for this very reason, to clean the carbon from the seat. Build up on the stems of the valves wouldn't cause a problem so to speak with how the valve sits either...

The whole reason I am taking the time to type out all this is the one response about how you would need to readjut your valves because the carbon would effect where they sat in relation to the clearances at the rocker. I just can't see this being the case at all.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You got it backwards man. All that carbon build-up, over time, will cause the valves to change and adapt to the way it makes them sit. So once you remove all that carbon build-up the valves can't readjust themselves to seat correctly again. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam (95cxhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95cxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Think about what you just agreed with.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i am agreeing that if enough carbon was present in an engine to up compression or make it behave differently then the least you can do once you clean it out (use seafoam) is adjust your damn valves to "make sure" they are still in proper working order. more out of common sense than than anything.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as I know EVERY manufacture puts a thin teflon coating in teh TB's to reduce fouling, and debris sticking to it.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam (95cxhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95cxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am agreeing that if enough carbon was present in an engine to up compression or make it behave differently then the least you can do once you clean it out (use seafoam) is adjust your damn valves to "make sure" they are still in proper working order. more out of common sense than than anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Common sense? It makes no sense. The carbon build up on piston tops is NOT going effect vavle adjustment specs. Period. If you wanted to check the valve clearances, fine. But don't blame them for a "loss of power" after using seafoam.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Common sense? It makes no sense. The carbon build up on piston tops is NOT going effect vavle adjustment specs. Period. If you wanted to check the valve clearances, fine. But don't blame them for a "loss of power" after using seafoam.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Carbon build up isnt only on the pistons. Theres dirt and carbon, and other **** all over the place even on the springs and retainers. Thats why you use seafoam in the oil, to get reid of all that throughout the block. So when all that gunk and stuff is gone everything will be "loose" in a senses, to what they were right out of the manufacturer. Because of this you would need to redo your valves, but of course this all depends on how bad the motor was. But if he says that he only used 1/4th and it was smoking up his neighborhood and not even 1/3 then that had to be bad and a valve adjustment would be the best thing to do.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: feels like i lost horespower after using Seafoam (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Carbon build up isnt only on the pistons. Theres dirt and carbon, and other **** all over the place even on the springs and retainers. Thats why you use seafoam in the oil, to get reid of all that throughout the block. So when all that gunk and stuff is gone everything will be "loose" in a senses, to what they were right out of the manufacturer. Because of this you would need to redo your valves, but of course this all depends on how bad the motor was. But if he says that he only used 1/4th and it was smoking up his neighborhood and not even 1/3 then that had to be bad and a valve adjustment would be the best thing to do. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I cannot imagine that there would be enough "carbon" in the oil to cause the valve clearances to be out of spec. The engine would be so dirty at that point that instead of looking into mystery cleaners, you should be shopping on hmotors for a replacement.

And wth are you saying with this statement?

"But if he says that he only used 1/4th and it was smoking up his neighborhood and not even 1/3 then that had to be bad and a valve adjustment would be the best thing to do."
Old 03-07-2005, 11:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I cannot imagine that there would be enough "carbon" in the oil to cause the valve clearances to be out of spec. The engine would be so dirty at that point that instead of looking into mystery cleaners, you should be shopping on hmotors for a replacement.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I completely agree Hydrid...I don't see how there could ever be enough carbon build up on the valve seats to cause the lash to be out of spec. Valve adjustment is never a bad idea...it should be preformed as part of regular maintenance. I seriously doubt that it would ever cause the car to run as poorly as the original poster has described.

That being said...I just went through the seafoam process with my Y8. It was sluggish at first. I followed some directions that I got off another post here and the final step was to "go for a spirited drive" during that drive the car was sluggish untill all the seafoam made it through the system i.e. stopped smoking. It will run much better once you change the oil and plugs and get a tank of gas through it.