Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Feasible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feasible?

Starting point: 95 Del Sol Si, 5 speed manual.

Goal - N/A, 200+ whp. I'm not looking to drag, race, etc. Just want a peppy car that I can drive around and have fun in.

Theory : B16A 92-95 (SiR-II) Long Block, typical bolt on mods, possibly a head change?

Base price engine, ~ $1000.

Is this doable, feasible, or should I look at a different engine? I know I lose some from engine hp to whp, so I'd need to get the engine to...220hp at the crank?

Also, this could be a REALLY dumbass n00b question, but if you do an engine swap, what do you do with the old engine?

John

Old 09-07-2007, 08:41 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Feasible? (Aodhan)

impractical IMO.

i'd look into doing an LS vtec if you are on a super budget; otherwise, i'd start with a b18c from the get go.

b16 for na purposes, even with alot of work, unless it's in a light car and is geared aggressively, is a bit of a stretch IMO.

typical drivetrain loss for manual hondas is 15.5%, so you'd need about 240chp to eclipse 200whp
Old 09-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want 200 whp for a grand. just boost the d16, and get a nice tune.

for $1000 the only way to break 200whp is to boost.
unless you can get the best hook-up of the year.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The monetary investment it will take to get a B16A to 200whp NA is ridiculous. Ideally, the engine puts down about 134whp stock - 66whp from higher compression, better head flow, lighter reciprocating parts and massively aggressive camshafts on a 1.6L engine is doable, but prohibitively expensive.

Where did you come up with this plan? Do you have a friend with a 200whp NA B16? I'm guessing not and that your "plan" stems from these two things:

1.) the B16 is the cheapest DOHC VTEC engine you found online and

2.) you don't know anything about turbocharging and, thus, are afraid of it because of all the myths you've heard.

Here's something to consider. Your Del Sol Si comes with the D16Z6 SOHC VTEC engine. With a $1500 investment (or much less if you're experienced) you can turbocharge that to make 200whp without breaking a sweat. It's cheaper than anything DOHC VTEC, faster for the money and much easier on the wallet if something breaks.

Do more research.

PS - sell your old engine if that's the route you choose. Have the buyer come pick it up.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Feasible? (Archidictus)

Arch-

Pretty much right on the money. Thanks for the advice. I've been reading the archives when I can at work. I'm a n00b, but I *WILL* learn what I need to know. I might be a pain in the *** doing it, but hopefully not too much.

John
Old 09-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 for turbo single cam, i miss mine
Old 09-07-2007, 11:33 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: Feasible? (JdelMsolG)

he said 1k for the 'base engine'...not 1k for 200whp.

i'd never boost that d15b7, totally a disaster waiting to happen. those itty bitty rods are meant for two things- <100whp and 35mpg.

i'd def look into a z6, maybe go the vitara and TT rod route and piece together a turbo kit.

i am not a 100% fan of LS/VTEC, even tho i suggested it earlier, but it's a cheapish way to make alot of power and since the engine will be opened up, it's nice to knock out a bunch of mods while it's open. it'd suck to take a perfectly good sealed up b18c and open it up to mod it to hit 200whp since it costs so much loot to start with and you then breach it.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: Feasible? (builthatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he said 1k for the 'base engine'...not 1k for 200whp.

i'd never boost that d15b7, totally a disaster waiting to happen. those itty bitty rods are meant for two things- &lt;100whp and 35mpg.

i'd def look into a z6, maybe go the vitara and TT rod route and piece together a turbo kit.

i am not a 100% fan of LS/VTEC, even tho i suggested it earlier, but it's a cheapish way to make alot of power and since the engine will be opened up, it's nice to knock out a bunch of mods while it's open. it'd suck to take a perfectly good sealed up b18c and open it up to mod it to hit 200whp since it costs so much loot to start with and you then breach it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He has an Si, it's already a Z6

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Arch-

Pretty much right on the money. Thanks for the advice. I've been reading the archives when I can at work. I'm a n00b, but I *WILL* learn what I need to know. I might be a pain in the *** doing it, but hopefully not too much.

John</TD></TR></TABLE>

Questions come and go, man. As long as you're trying to find answers on your own to supplement the less common knowledge, we won't yell at you
Old 09-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got something laying around tellin how to make a 200+whp b16 pretty much high like 11-11.5:1 comp, big cams, ITBs, bore making 200whp na isnt worth the money put into it... honstly turbo a b16 and youll be happy.. and it sounds and feels alot better
Old 09-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Feasible? (95_acc0rd)

Most of the reason that I was shying away from turbos is from everything I've seen, they can be finicky and hard to maintain. When I want to get out and drive, I just want to do so, I don't want to spend a couple hours f'n with the turbo to get it right first.

I'm working my way through this list on howstuffworks.
-How Anti-Lock Brakes work
-How automotive ignition systems work
-How brakes work
-How camshafts work
-How car computers work
-How car engines work
-How clutches work
-How differentials work
-How disc brakes work
-How drum brakes work
-How fuel injection systems work
-How gears work
-How horsepower works
-How manual trannies work
-How power brakes work
-How wire, fuses, and connectors work
-Inline Four-Cylinder Engine

We'll see where my head is at after all that...

John
Old 09-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most of the reason that I was shying away from turbos is from everything I've seen, they can be finicky and hard to maintain. When I want to get out and drive, I just want to do so, I don't want to spend a couple hours f'n with the turbo to get it right first.

I'm working my way through this list on howstuffworks.
-How Anti-Lock Brakes work
-How automotive ignition systems work
-How brakes work
-How camshafts work
-How car computers work
-How car engines work
-How clutches work
-How differentials work
-How disc brakes work
-How drum brakes work
-How fuel injection systems work
-How gears work
-How horsepower works
-How manual trannies work
-How power brakes work
-How wire, fuses, and connectors work
-Inline Four-Cylinder Engine

We'll see where my head is at after all that...

John</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like it. There's a book called "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell that describes everything turbo from a technical standpoint. If you can find it at your local library, I suggest reading it
Old 09-08-2007, 06:57 AM
MiG-21 superfan

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He has an Si, it's already a Z6 </TD></TR></TABLE> lol, i missed the i, i thought it said del sol s