Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fat Wheel Rub

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Wheel Rub

Hey guys I have a 93 Si Hatch that I just bought used. I replaced the shot struts with some new GR-2 KYB shocks and the front springs to Neuspeed springs and kept the back ones stock (Because the Neuspeed springs dropped it too low). Now I had a noise that would come from really bad wheel rub on the inner back portion of the rear left wheel well. It is actually burning the rubber covering the fuel lines. I feel like it might be the Rear Trailing arm bushings but it only makes it when theres someone sitting in the back and we hit a slight dip or if i have weight in the back. I don't know whats going on but i desperately need your help.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fat Wheel Rub

you dropped the car on stock shocks? It's a good thing KYB has lifetime warranties.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:34 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by egg-6
Hey guys I have a 93 Si Hatch that I just bought used. I replaced the shot struts with some new GR-2 KYB shocks and the front springs to Neuspeed springs and kept the back ones stock (Because the Neuspeed springs dropped it too low). Now I had a noise that would come from really bad wheel rub on the inner back portion of the rear left wheel well. It is actually burning the rubber covering the fuel lines. I feel like it might be the Rear Trailing arm bushings but it only makes it when theres someone sitting in the back and we hit a slight dip or if i have weight in the back. I don't know whats going on but i desperately need your help.
If the problem only occurred when you swapped everything and you KNOW where the rubbing is coming from then you have your answer. If the Neuspeeds dropped it too low in the rear then they are probably dropping it to low in the front as well. How do you think it's the RTA bushings?
Old 08-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by SeanK325
you dropped the car on stock shocks? It's a good thing KYB has lifetime warranties.
What do you mean by that? It wasn't an intentional drop because the nuespeeds weren't supposed to drop them at all but they did. so i went back to the stock shocks in the back

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
If the problem only occurred when you swapped everything and you KNOW where the rubbing is coming from then you have your answer. If the Neuspeeds dropped it too low in the rear then they are probably dropping it to low in the front as well. How do you think it's the RTA bushings?
It is dropped in the front but its not a big drop and I havn't been having trouble with the front that much. I've been having the same grind in the back even with the old shot stock struts. and the cover that goes over the fuel line has been burned through since i got the car. which leads me to believe its been bad for a while. Also if you look at the RTA bushing you can see it looks like it was hammered in by a gorilla and theres play in it to top it off when you raise it off the ground and move it around. I've been planning on getting an alignment but not until after i finish the RTA bushings. Its also been suggested to me to swap out all of the stock bushings with some new polyurethane ones but Thats a lot of work if I do it myself and a lot of money if i get it done by a mechanic
Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So because the neupseed springs dropped the car "too" much you put stock shocks back in it?
or did you swap in the stock shocks and springs?

Either way, you bought OEM replacement shocks, and they suck for a lowered car.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM
The Grumpiest

So where does the "fat wheel rub" come into all of this if most of these problems were already present?
Old 08-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 98civdx
So because the neupseed springs dropped the car "too" much you put stock shocks back in it?
or did you swap in the stock shocks and springs?

Either way, you bought OEM replacement shocks, and they suck for a lowered car.
Well I replaced the shocks with the KYB and then figured i might as well replace the shocks as well because it didn't look like it had stock springs in the front because the car sat with about 5 inches of wheel gap in the front which seemed like too much to be true. So i put the nuespeeds and it looks closer to stock but still a tad lower.

The shocks feel fine in the front and back but that rub on the drivers rear wheel is killing me
Old 08-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Trial User

So where does the "fat wheel rub" come into all of this if most of these problems were already present?
Its rubbing in that same spot on the fuel line cover and I really need some extra opinions and people with more experience than me so I can really pinpoint the problem. The fat wheel rub is what i'm trying to get rid off because its present no matter what I do. Is replacing the RTA bushing the best choice
Old 08-20-2011, 08:37 AM
The Grumpiest

How wide are the wheels? Are you running 19's or something? Replacing RTA bushings probably won't do squat to fix it.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Trial User

How wide are the wheels? Are you running 19's or something? Replacing RTA bushings probably won't do squat to fix it.
They're 15 inch Volk 37's
Old 08-20-2011, 08:46 AM
The Grumpiest

How are they rubbing NOW? I'm sorry I just don't see how a 15 can be rubbing if you didn't have it slammed to the ground.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Trial User

How are they rubbing NOW? I'm sorry I just don't see how a 15 can be rubbing if you didn't have it slammed to the ground.
Me either! its ridiculous. there's plenty of room in between the tire and the wheel well but when there is weight in the back (which i need to carry stuff for work so its necessary) or a light person back there it will rub in that same spot if i hit a small bump or dip. Is it normal for stock hatches to rub like that when there's a person in the back let alone 2 because that doesn't seem right to me. There has to be something wrong. and its only on the drivers side
Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 AM
The Grumpiest

Swap out ALL the bushings. Not just the RTA's. There should be any play in them.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Trial User

Swap out ALL the bushings. Not just the RTA's. There should be any play in them.
Thanks! I'll get on that and see if it helps
Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 AM
The Grumpiest

Sorry. Should NOT be any play in them.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Post a picture of the car.

what offset are the wheels? ANY wheel has the capability to rub depending on the offset, and the height of the car.

My 14's rubbed like no other when I was low.