Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

F*cking stripped stud bolt...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F*cking stripped stud bolt...

I need some quick info guys. First off let me say that Hibdon's Tires has the worst damn service I have ever had to put up with. They have scratched wheels, scratched my calipers, cant balance wheel for crap, and have no clue how to run an alignment machine. But what really pisses me off is that they use air wrenches to tighten my lugs back on after I SPECIFICALLY tell them NOT to use air wrenches on my lugs. You wanna know why? Because the cross threaded one of my lugs. I was able to get it off but well the stud bolt came with it. So now I am stuck missing a stud bolt and need help fixing it fast. Where can I buy a stud bolt for cheap and what is involved with the install? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and a for everyone who can help. Chris.

[Modified by b00stn, 3:44 PM 12/12/2002]
Old 12-12-2002, 03:02 PM
TheHater

Default Re: F*cking stripped stud bolt... (b00stn)

Damn ill take it to a pro . They did it for me for 15 bucks.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:05 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go to the dealer and buy a new stud. They're around $4.00. They're pressed in, but you can 'ghetto' the process. Drive it out of the hub with a 10 lb. sledgehammer, then use a deep socket and lug nut to 'press' it back in - kinda like putting a power steering pulley back on, or whatever...
Old 12-12-2002, 03:07 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: F*cking stripped stud bolt... (BOOSTINSI)

Damn ill take it to a pro . They did it for me for 15 bucks.
Yeah, that'll work too. I know it pisses you off, but it's really no big deal...
Old 12-12-2002, 03:16 PM

Default Re: F*cking stripped stud bolt... (BlackDeuceCoupe)

The people at Expert Tire in Troy Alabama screwed me badly too. They did not strip out one stud, they striped out 3. Also, no place in the city I live had the type of lug nuts I had so I had to travel 120 miles to go to the place where I got them and get 3 more lugs. Even worse than that, they cracked my front bumper driving my car onto there lift. I guess they figured that was not bad enough, so they went ahead and busted one of my CV boots too (Getting grease all over my wheels and inside my fender. The guy there insisted on using an impact wrench also without the torque piece that goes on the end of the wrench. I did give them a good piece of my mind though and when they fixed the boot and cross threaded studs the guy who put them on tried to take one of the cross threaded lug nuts he sit there for about 2 minutes just pounding the wrench trying to break the stud and when he finally did he picked it up and burned the hell out of his hand which was a little revenge. I picked the lug nut up about a minute later and it was still hot so I know it got him good. But after that experience I only go to places that specialize in performance parts...it may be a little more expensice, but the work is much better and in the end costs me a lot less time.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F*cking stripped stud bolt... (TokyoZero)

^Periods are your friend.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:36 AM

Just go to the dealer and buy a new stud. They're around $4.00. They're pressed in, but you can 'ghetto' the process. Drive it out of the hub with a 10 lb. sledgehammer, then use a deep socket and lug nut to 'press' it back in - kinda like putting a power steering pulley back on, or whatever...
Can you give me a little more info on this? I just talked to the dealer and they want $260 to do the work I understand you as far as hammering the old one out but about the deep socket thing. Are you saying put the deep socket over the new lug and stud. Then place the stud into the hole and hammer it in?
Old 12-13-2002, 08:41 AM

Default Re: F*cking stripped stud bolt... (WhiteEJ1)

^Periods are your friend.
yeah no ****.

Sucks about the bolt, but take it to a shop and have them take care of it... or grab the sledgehammer.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F*cking stripped stud bolt... (black2kcivic)

Go to PepBoys. I know they have wheels studs there and they are really cheap (less than $1.00 I think). I am unsure of the difficulty level involved, but I don't think replacing the stud is too hard...
Old 12-13-2002, 08:56 AM
In The Garage

Default Re: F*cking stripped stud bolt... (b16a ferio)

260 bucks to change a wheel stud? WTF. you sure they knew what you were talkin about?
Old 12-13-2002, 09:03 AM

Default Re: F*cking stripped stud bolt... (22lbGS-R)

260 bucks to change a wheel stud? WTF. you sure they knew what you were talkin about?
Yeah that is what I was thinking. He said since they are press in, that have to remove the rotor. And since they have to remove the rotor, they have to replace the wheel bearing.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:28 AM
HT White Ops

I understand you as far as hammering the old one out but about the deep socket thing. Are you saying put the deep socket over the new lug and stud. Then place the stud into the hole and hammer it in?
Hrm... I was afraid you were going to ask that, and I don't know a good way of describing it, but I'll try.

After you remove the old stud, the new one is supposed to be pressed into the hole. However, you can ghetto it in place by sticking the stud in the hole and pulling it through the hole towards you, instead of pressing it in place from the other side. The thing is, you need to pull it straight and be careful you don't damage the hub by distorting it.

What you have to do is line the stud up with the hole the best you can and put the socket over the threads that are sticking out the other side, then screw the lug nut onto the stud with the FLAT side towards the socket. As you tighten the lug nut, it will start pulling the stud through the hole, toward you. By cranking down HARD on the lug nut, eventually the stud will pull itself through the hole until it's fully seated. The socket is merely used as a spacer, keeping things lined-up and protecting the hub from distortion.

Hope this makes sense. Kinda hard describing it in words. If you still can't figure out what I'm talking about, I'll see if I can find some pics for further illustration...
Old 12-14-2002, 04:34 AM
HT White Ops

LoL! That didn't take long; gotta love that Google!

See if this this helps - has pics and all...

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/studs.php

Old 12-14-2002, 04:37 AM

Hrm... I was afraid you were going to ask that, and I don't know a good way of describing it, but I'll try.
Never having the misfortune to have to replace a stud, I'm going to ask a silly question:

Doesn't the hub have to be removed to get the studs in and out? (too lazy to check my Helms)

Shawn
Old 12-14-2002, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F*cking stripped stud bolt... (shawnhayes)

this thread just became a great tech tip!!!!
awesome help blackdeuce!!
-Bryan-
Old 12-14-2002, 04:47 AM

Default Re: F*cking stripped stud bolt... (EGStreetHtch)

i striped one of mine on accedent so i took the hub off an took it to a local garage they got me a new one in there for $25 including labor
Old 12-14-2002, 04:56 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: F*cking stripped stud bolt... (ArmyGreen EG)

i striped one of mine on accedent so i took the hub off an took it to a local garage they got me a new one in there for $25 including labor
Yeah, it's no big deal - really! We used to replace them all the time when I worked in a service station. It's hella easy if you have an air gun...
Old 12-14-2002, 05:01 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: F*cking stripped stud bolt... (shawnhayes)

Never having the misfortune to have to replace a stud, I'm going to ask a silly question:

Doesn't the hub have to be removed to get the studs in and out? (too lazy to check my Helms)

Shawn
I haven't had to do it to my 2-year old CiViC yet, thankfully, so I'm not certain. However, I've done it several times in the past, on an assortment of different vehicles, and never had a problem.

I described this to a guy from Alaska about a year ago. He had lost two studs and was wondering if it was safe to drive around on the remaining two. Bwahahahaha!

Anyway, he replaced them and thanked me profusely later. I don't remember him saying anything about having to remove the hubs. I sincerely doubt that it's necessary.

Only one way to find out, I guess...