Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

external coil install question... everything is installed right. why won't it work?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default external coil install question... everything is installed right. why won't it work?!?

Alright, I installed a new MSD Blaster SS coil with the MSD dist. cap. Anyway, I did it exactly as one is supposed to. Take out the internal coil (on the TEC distributor), extend the positive and negative wires that attatched to it out the bottom of the distributor and attatched them to the pos and neg terminals on the external coil. Use the supplied spark plug wire (yes, I crimped the ends correctly) to connect the pole on the coil to the pole on the new distributor cap. Everything should work, right? Well, it doesn't... I reinstalled the stock coil and cap, and everything worked fine again. Tried the installation again, re-checking every step and connection. Still no luck. Got a new MSD coil that I know works and hooked it up. Nothing. Bah!!! I can't think of anything I might have done wrong here. Can anyone think of where I might have gone wrong. MSD help desk is closed for the evening, but I really need to get this thing going for tomorrow morning. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!Did I miss something?
_______
Old 09-15-2003, 04:40 PM

its been a while since i hooked mine up, but i remember one of the wires (the neg. i think) i didnt cut all the way. i just spliced it in. did u do that or did u cut it all the way and leave one side open? just a thought.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:24 PM

Default Re: external coil install question... everything is installed right. why won't it work?!? (vaskater)

shoot i didnt even cut any of my wires i just wraped it around the place where the screw holds it onto the old coil. but dint you need the box to use the coil?????
Old 09-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: external coil install question... everything is installed right. why won't it work?!? (vaskater)

which msd ignition you running?