Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust related question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust related question

Hi, I live in FL and there are no emmission laws here as some of you might now. Does this mean I can freely take off my cat and run an open header? Or will that be too loud?

Thanks,
Old 02-11-2003, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Exhaust related question (soflaimports)

Yeah you can run an open header, run it straight to the impound lot!!

I don't know of anywhere where you can run an open header on the street. No emissions just means no annual emissions testing. So, you could remove your cat and get away with it as long as you don't get pulled over. Even then, the cop would have to look to see if it was or wasn't there.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Exhaust related question (Cowtit)

I wouldn't. It's loud as ****. I did an open header run in my Integra once and I almost blew my eardrums out. Just bolt up the exhaust.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:32 PM

Yeah you can run an open header, run it straight to the impound lot!!

I don't know of anywhere where you can run an open header on the street. No emissions just means no annual emissions testing. So, you could remove your cat and get away with it as long as you don't get pulled over. Even then, the cop would have to look to see if it was or wasn't there.
ok,

Also, I still don't understand this whole cat-back exhaust system... The thicker parts on the exhaust pipe are the cat-backs right? So that means there are more than one catbacks on an exhaust system because there is also one just before the muffler opening, correct? So what's the purpose of having two?

Also, will a silencer sacrifice perfomance?
Old 02-11-2003, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A catback exhaust is an exhaust that goes from your catylitic converter all the way back, instead of just an axleback exhaust or universal muffler.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Exhaust related question (JDMH22HATCH)

Oh and what about a test pipe with a silencer? Will that be still loud?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:28 AM

It depends what type of muffler you use. Its gonna be louder than if you had the cat on, but if you have a quiet muffler its still not gonna be LOUD, just louder than before removing the cat. I have a Mugen Twin Loop and its really quiet until high rpms, I'm thinking of leaving the cat off when I put on a header, I think that should turn up the volume a little. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:03 AM

If you want it to be loud, use a test pipe and bolt on an Apexi N1. It will be loud, but not loud enough to blow out your eardrums, like an open header.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:27 AM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you know what these different exhaust pieces are? if you dont, let me explain- you have the header- collects exhaust from each cylinder and runs them into 1, the header connects to the catalytic converter, which can be replaced with a test pipe (a straight tube with flanges on the ends), this connects to the cat-back exhaust system, which consists of the cat-to-axle (contains an inline resonator), and the axle-back (ends with the muffler) pieces. a silencer goes in the tip of an aftermarket muffler, some dont work. most with a 4" tip will work. just trying to clear up some stuff for you. dont run an open header, it will be loud as ****, and you will lose power (no backpressure). it will also sound nasty as hell

[Modified by 22lbGS-R, 10:29 AM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust related question (JDMH22HATCH)

I wouldn't. It's loud as ****. I did an open header run in my Integra once and I almost blew my eardrums out. Just bolt up the exhaust.
true that brandon
Old 02-12-2003, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Exhaust related question (22lbGS-R)

after the collectors meet at the end of the header ull find the cat..some cars like mine..a OO G3 will have 3..its federal law that u must have a cat..like someone mention d earlier..by removing it ull lose ur back preasure..usually flange d to the cat will be ur mid pipe.

at the mid pipe ull find a resonator..its useful in deading alot of the exhaust noise..many opt for a round 4" muffler here which offer s better flow..some people make the mistake of going with a mid pipe that is too larger for their application

depending on ur setup..usually a 4 banger can use up to a 2 1/4" piping..much more will actually slow donw the velocity of ur exhaust..its important to note that power is obtain d with velocity of exhaust rather than volume

in some jurisdiction s..as it is in calif..some cities are taking an aggressive stance..ticketing cars with 4" tips whether its legal or not..whether its legal or not..uve got a ticket and u end up with the burden of proof that its legal..a big hassel if u ask me

many of us are going with 3 1/2" tips and going as much the stock look as possible to attract as little attention as possible..noise can be music to someone ears..but, to ur neighbors and to others on the road..ur just another ricer
Old 02-12-2003, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Exhaust related question (deepnite)

Ok thanks a lot guys for the info, starting to make much more sense (except for that open header part ). So basically when cops see your 4" exhaust tip they automatically assume that you are running a thicker exhaust pipe (which is illegal over a certain diameter), and that is why it's illegal? Am I correct?

And if so, the thicker the pipe diameter the more pollution/better performace?

[Modified by soflaimports, 10:09 PM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that all cars with a factory installed catalytic converter from a certain year to the present are required to have one. Whether your state has emissions tests or not, it's a federal law for all states. Some cities/states are not as strict as others, but why pollute the environment anymore than it alreadys is?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Exhaust related question (VTECVillain)

I think that all cars with a factory installed catalytic converter from a certain year to the present are required to have one. Whether your state has emissions tests or not, it's a federal law for all states. Some cities/states are not as strict as others, but why pollute the environment anymore than it alreadys is?
I thought that the majority of the people are doing this. Guess I was wrong.