Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question

this might be a noob question, but please bear with me, I'm new to all this tuner stuff.

I bought a Greddy Evo2 catback exhaust for my car (99 Civic Sedan). When the car is idling, or I take turns the exhaust rubs against the bottom of the rear bumper. I've heard that the Evo has some hanger problems. My question would be what can I do to fix that rubbing sound (sounds like a helicopter).

all answers and opinions highly appreciated
Old 06-17-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Exhaust Question (CIVIC5501)

I would probably just cut a notch out in the bumper so it wouldn't rub anymore
Old 06-17-2004, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Exhaust Question (slowest_ls_swap_ever)

check to see if the rubber hangers are all on the correct way you might just have to move them around for it to fit? i would definatley not cut away at the bumber though thats a bad idea.

crawl under the car and take a look see and wiggle some stuff around. maybee its even possible to bend one of the metal hangers on the muffler for it to fit correct.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, do not cut your bumper. That's stupid. If the rubber hangers are on correctly, yank the muffler down so that it clears the bumper. Then insert something inside the rubber hangers to keep them elongated. Use zip-ties to keep the object from falling out of the rubber hangers. I used teflon spacers, but others have used anything from pieces of wood to cut-up PVC pipe. Whatever you want. . . .
Old 06-17-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Exhaust Question (Daniel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, do not cut your bumper. That's stupid. If the rubber hangers are on correctly, yank the muffler down so that it clears the bumper. Then insert something inside the rubber hangers to keep them elongated. Use zip-ties to keep the object from falling out of the rubber hangers. I used teflon spacers, but others have used anything from pieces of wood to cut-up PVC pipe. Whatever you want. . . .</TD></TR></TABLE>

good advice
Old 06-17-2004, 12:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, do not cut your bumper. That's stupid. If the rubber hangers are on correctly, yank the muffler down so that it clears the bumper. Then insert something inside the rubber hangers to keep them elongated. Use zip-ties to keep the object from falling out of the rubber hangers. I used teflon spacers, but others have used anything from pieces of wood to cut-up PVC pipe. Whatever you want. . . .</TD></TR></TABLE>

done the same thing and no problems at all
Old 06-17-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Exhaust Question (JDM PRO)

i dont know i cut out the overhang on my bumper. to me thats the way to go. if you just force it down doesnt it look a little ghetto(hanging lower)? mine sits flush with the rear bumper and you cant tell i cut it. just my .02
Old 06-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust Question (slammed00si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed00si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know i cut out the overhang on my bumper. to me thats the way to go. if you just force it down doesnt it look a little ghetto(hanging lower)? mine sits flush with the rear bumper and you cant tell i cut it. just my .02</TD></TR></TABLE>
WTF? It depends on how far you yank it down. You can always push it back up after moving it down to get the height right. The hangers are flexible rubber. Once the muffler sits how you like it and is dropped enough to clear the bumper cutout, you insert an appropriately-sized object so that it stays there. It's not rocket science.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Exhaust Question (Daniel)

Gotta try that, thanks. Usually rubs when i turn. Bumper taking heat damage from the muffler.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Exhaust Question (StrikerX)

well i like how mine sits flush with the bumper. i just put it out as another option.