Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Everything needed for headgasket replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everything needed for headgasket replacement?

Did a search, found a lot of info on how to do it, but never really found a parts list that is needed. I have a B18C1 in my hatch and plan on doing the hg this weekend. I have the headgasket, valve cover gasket, and picking up the head studs tomorrow. What else do I need? I also know I need a cetain spray to spray on the hg to make sure it seals properly, but I forgot what exactly it was. Any help here? Also, what else am I missing? Any lubes, fluids I need to replace? Extra stuff I should replace? Anything I need to be aware of before we do this(ie certain problems)? Water pump, timing belt, cam seals etc. are all less than 10,000 miles old so no need for those. Also doing plugs and wires at the same time.
If there is a thread that has all this info, please link me to it. I couldnt find it while searching. TIA for any help.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Everything needed for headgasket replacement? (JapTendencies)

1.) Copper spray
2.) Oil and Coolant
3.) A torque wrench and a manual that gives you proper torque specs.
4.) Patience with the headstuds because you'll be dropping the nuts frequently . Have a magnetic "third hand" nearby.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Everything needed for headgasket replacement? (Archidictus)

headgasket, no copper spray, torque wrench, torque specs, 1-2 hours
Old 02-03-2004, 11:27 AM

torque wrench, extra oil and coolant, a service manual, and honda bond. But if you are going to replace the head gasket you might as well replace all the seals and gaskets in the head(minus the valve seals) . The extra 100 bucks could save you the head ache of leaky cam seals......
Old 02-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I'm getting a yes and no on teh copper spray. I always hear yes so I'm gonna go with that. Also, assembly lube is needed as well, correct? Where can I get the spray and the lube?

I have the oil and the coolant since I have been leaking it recently.

Nasi, what is Honda Bond? And all seals were replaced less than 10000 miles ago, do I really need new seals already?

One last question, how big of a pain in the *** is realigning the cams? I have some people telling me no big deal while others tell me I need to be god to do it. Any tricks to make it easier? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Everything needed for headgasket replacement? (myhatchrips)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by myhatchrips &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">headgasket, no copper spray, torque wrench, torque specs, 1-2 hours</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why no copper spray?
Old 02-03-2004, 12:43 PM
H-T Poker champion

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JapTendencies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Nasi, what is Honda Bond?

One last question, how big of a pain in the *** is realigning the cams? I have some people telling me no big deal while others tell me I need to be god to do it. Any tricks to make it easier? Thanks again for all the help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda Bond is a special gasket goo made by honda.. it's to help the proper sealing of gaskets you replace.. you buy it at the honda dealership i believe.

realigning the cams isnt that hard at all from what i've seen.. never done it myself, but i've seen it done.

and yes.. do use copper spray.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Everything needed for headgasket replacement? (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

Anyone else? Also heard today that I will need an IM gasket for sure as well? Is this correct?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:38 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JapTendencies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone else? Also heard today that I will need an IM gasket for sure as well? Is this correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Considering the way your car runs if you loose manifold pressure, I'd say take the plunge and just get a Hondata gasket for the IM while you're in there. If not the performance one, just get an OEM gasket, but definately replace it.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you replace a headgasket and remove the head dont you need to replace the headstuds too?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Vice President/CEO

When i replaced my headgasket a few weeks ago, i did not even take off the Intake manifold. Saved me some trouble.. I did however use copper spray on my OEM gasket. Just remember to drain all the fluids prior to the install.. it will make the job a hella lot easier... (I forgot one to one time ) anyways.

good luck' have fun.. mark your timing gear and your distributor too, save ya some trouble w/ the timing issues when you get everything back together.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:00 PM

Honda bond is silicone seal for the gaskets......Realining the cams is not that hard..Just take your time.Make sure the up arrows are up on the cams gears, and make sure the bottom end isat tdc.Then make sure you have good tension on the timing belt.