Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine swap questions??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap questions??

Whats up everyone, I'm new to the site and I'm glad I found it. So heres the deal, I've owned my '00 EX for about 5 months now. My cars slow as hell. So I want to do a engine swap. I've got about $3,500 to work with. I'm thinking I should go with the b16a. Is there anything I should be worried about, because I'm not the most mechanicaly inclined person and I don't want to waste my money(everytime I've worked on my cars I've messed something up real bad). Also what can I expect when going to get this done. Is there specific questions I should ask? I want to make this endevor go as smoothly as possible. Also any info you guys could give me about this process would help. Any feed back would be greatly apprciated.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine swap questions?? (DetroitCivic)

on the surface, going to a b16a(2) will only get you a 30HP gain, but gobs more mod potential.

I would seriously consider getting a b18c from a GSR. 10HP and lots more torque.

You have enough to get a b16a(2) installed with 3500. But dont let just the price of the motor fool you. You can easily add $500-1000 to whatever you are paying for the motor for the parts needed to install it, even if you are doing it yourself.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:01 AM
New User

Go with the B18C1. Best bang for the buck and $3,500 should just about cover it. You can do the swap yourself, its really not that hard provided you do the NECESSARY research. You will need the Helms manuals for the Civic and preferably the Teg although all you really need are the fuel injection/ECU wiring diagrams. You will need a GOOD set of socket wrenches (don't waste $$$ on cheap ****, you will just regret it). You will also need a decent place to work. I have heard about people doing swaps in appartment parking lots but thats just bound to **** someone off

PS. There is a Hybrid board on this site. Thats where posts like this really bellong

Mike
Old 08-22-2002, 09:03 AM

I know your a newbie...but this topic has been beetin to ****.... S E A R C H
Old 08-22-2002, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Engine swap questions?? (95civiccoupe31)

"I know your a newbie...but this topic has been beetin to ****.... S E A R C H"

I searched this board for almost 2 hours last night looking for answers for my question, trust me I wouldn't have wrote out that long *** post if I found what I needed to know.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get the B20 or the B18b, you'll feel the didfferece rather than getting the B16A.
***this is the important part............are you listening....okay..........here it comes...

DO A LOT OF REASEARCH... READ EVERYTHING (about hondas) EVEN IF IT DOSENT PERTAIN TOYOUR GOAL (like if you wanna go all motor... also read up on force induction, if your into drag racing... also keep you mind open to autocrossing) THE MORE YOU KNOW THE BETTER QUESTIONS YOU WILL ASK----THAT WILL RESULT IN PEOPLE GIVING YOU (for the most part) INTELEGENT ANSWERS AND INFROMATION.

I wouldn't jump into a swap if i were you. Drive the **** out of your car and motor until it gives out or until you really, really, really..... I mean really start getting board of it, by then you should have learned a lot and enough to do the swap yourself. Also just keep saving your money and read what others post. Be smart about it and learn from others mistake, take into account what is a reasonable goal and develope a sence of confidence about working on your own car. I have more advice but just digest this for now.

[Modified by Charlie, 12:43 PM 8/22/2002]
Old 08-22-2002, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Engine swap questions?? (92sleepR)

why not get the ls (cheaper) than a gsr motor and swap the vtec head?
Old 08-22-2002, 09:42 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Engine swap questions?? (civic2k2grl)

why not get the ls (cheaper) than a gsr motor and swap the vtec head?
cuz you have to punch a hole in the block to plumb the VTEC oil line. however...a 2000+ SI head on an LS block will be great turbo potential and great out-of-the-box power
Old 08-22-2002, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i would go with the gsr swap..with 10 more hp and 13 more ft lbs over the b16 its worth the extra $$ plus the little more tq. the gsr swap has youll love it..most places sell them for like $3500 shipped..goodluck with the swap and keep us updated
Old 08-22-2002, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Engine swap questions?? (STEALTHMODECOUPE)

Thanks everyone. If you think of anything else I should know help me out. Otherwise I'm going to be lurking aroung looking for info. Thanks again
Old 08-22-2002, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also you will want to replace the water pump-timing belt-tensoner pulley-most likely the clutch..and umm i cant think of anything else right now...