Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine swap post, but.. AUTO!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap post, but.. AUTO!

There have always been tons of posts and threads on engine swaps, but I have yet to see one on automatic transmissions.
So, what are some of the best swaps that can be done for automatics? I know manuals are better, have better capabilities and such, but ah well. I was looking into H22's, B16's or even just turboing/supercharging the little D.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine swap post, but.. AUTO!

The forum is overrun with auto-haters. The only thing I have swapped into my automatic D15B7 was a stock replacement D15B7 engine. I'd like to swap in a B series but it would have to be an auto transmission and I suspect this can only be obtained from an integra (if its even possible not sure) or a JDM setup but that is hard to make legal in my state.

If anyone has info on swapping in an auto trans B series please share.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they don't do it because it sucks and usually its a job and half to get an auto trans in there. also most of this forum is for performance. watch how fast you wreck an auto trans after some aftermarket parts are applied.

learn to drive a stick or buy old crappy auto civics. they are not worth the cost vs the labor.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have seen a couple auto B16 swaps into 92-95 civic's, the 96-00 has a completely different engine bay and requires cutting and fabricating engine mounts.

The integra auto is a larger trans and wont fit into a civic engine bay with out surgery to the engine bay.

The JDM B16 auto from 92-95 is a M24A, same as the USDM D series auto trans, just a different bellhousing to mate to a B16. I will eventually complete my B16 auto swap, once the right 92-95 Civic Ex auto shell comes along. I have the trans, all mounts, cables, throttle kickdown plate, cams, etc. to do the swap.

This site, as well as many others are auto haters and very few have ever taken the time to do any proper research on this swap, they just bash the auto. Now that being said, the auto B16 is not a speed demon by any means, it's horsepower numbers are nothing spectacular, but they are fun as hell to drive.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Red Army

I would imagine putting in a higher output stock engine and auto trans would not only be reliable if done properly but also be a considerable performance upgrade. I could well be wrong hence the reason I asked for information. Can you be more specific than 'sucks', 'job and a half', 'you'll wreck it with aftermarket parts', 'auto civics are crappy', and 'learn to drive a stick'? I'd wager I was driving a stick when you were still in diapers.

Some people think stomping on a clutch pedal in traffic is what sucks.

You proved my point though.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tlarimer
the auto B16 is not a speed demon by any means, it's horsepower numbers are nothing spectacular, but they are fun as hell to drive.
What are those numbers, and/or where have you sourced your parts so far? I'm mainly looking for a little more torque to get up the hills. Almost anything will be better than the B7.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by strategy400
What are those numbers, and/or where have you sourced your parts so far? I'm mainly looking for a little more torque to get up the hills. Almost anything will be better than the B7.
Here is an auto B16a dyno, granted it's in an EK4, but the numbers should be comparable to a EG B16a auto.

B16a auto dyno

I got a complete B16a auto swap out of a JDM EG2, all wiring, knuckles, engine/trans, mounts, etc. You can call importers as I am sure they have 92-95 EG B16a auto stuff laying around. The key is getting the b series M24a, I have visually compared the B and D series M24A trans and the only difference is the bellhousing. Wiring, hoses, cables, etc are all in identical locations between the two. My only problem is that I can't say with 100% certainty that is will drop in, because I have never tried it myself. Waiting for the right shell or auto car to drop into my lap. In theory it should be a complete bolt in affair for a 92-95 Civic Ex, only having to wire in the Knock sensor, but again, when I finally get a auto shell, I will be able to confirm.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I think that should work. I'd also have to agree manuals suck in traffic. I've had a manual before and I actually got an auto del sol because I wanted to swap in a 3 stage vtec engine coupled with a CVT tranny. But I think I want something with a little more power and i'll probably be keeping auto. I think I still have a lot of research ahead of me. But as you said, there's a lot of auto haters on here which means most of my research will not be on here.