Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine swap, or buy another Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap, or buy another Civic?

I have a 1995 DX Civic, manual, with 145k miles. The engine needs to be swapped, because the crank will go out soon. But everything else is in great condition, though it’ll probably need a new clutch in 10k miles.

What would you do between these two options?

1) Pay $1200 for an engine swap to an identical engine with 45k miles. Maybe I could lower the cost more by parting out my engine, since everything but the crank is good.

2) Sell my car and get another mid-90s Civic with about 130k miles on it for a total of $700 out of pocket.

I’ve never had a serious car problem *except* for engine problems, so I don’t really know how to appraise the value of a car with 145k on the body and 45k on the engine.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Engine swap, or buy another Civic?

This isn't a tech question. It's a finance question.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id buy a new motor but thats juist me. u know it will be a fresh one and odds are paying that 1200 will give u a motor that most likely last alot longer then buying the car for 700 when in time who knows what will happen to it. u will prob end up spending the extra 5 bills in the same time the new motor will still be runnin fine. depending on how u drive.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you def are going to get a civic again and yours is sound do the engine. A used car is a crap shoot, cooling system could be shot, electronics shot etc.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
This isn't a tech question. It's a finance question.
I think that for someone who has a lot of knowledge about the value of these cars, yes, it's a pure finance question. But I don't, so I can't really appraise the value of option #1, which is why I'm asking for the technical insight. I'm familiar with the crapshoot that is #2. I have the money either way.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by eqmassa
I have the money either way.
Then IMO it would be a brain dead idea to not swap the engine as opposed to getting a car you know nothing about that might have the exact same issues or worse.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

serio, but why not skip all those and just do a full rebuild? snag the manual, save a ton on labor, and learn more than you want to know about your car!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The crank is going to go out soon? whaaa?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:13 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Bluemesiguey
serio, but why not skip all those and just do a full rebuild? snag the manual, save a ton on labor, and learn more than you want to know about your car!
Don't recall a third option in the OP.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tryin to expand his horizons
Old 02-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
The crank is going to go out soon? whaaa?
There's a chip in the key-hole that connects it to the harmonic balancer. It's small now and the key is fairly tight, but mechanics I've talked to and forum members say it'll probably wear out eventually. As for when, who knows: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/help-crank-problem-stuck-motel-6-middle-nowhere-right-now-3021865/.

Engine runs perfectly now, but the guy who worked on it isn't confident at all that it'll run perfect for that long. And I don't think it's because he's trying to get money out of me, since he knows 100% that he'll never work on my car again, since I live nowhere near him.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is replacing the crankshaft on these things REALLY that difficult?
Seems to me all you'd have to do is drop the oil pan, disconnect the harmonic balancer from the crankshaft, unbolt the bearings where the rods attach to the crank, and drop the crank out....or is it alot more complicated than that?
XP
Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas4door
Seems to me all you'd have to do is drop the oil pan, disconnect the harmonic balancer from the crankshaft, unbolt the bearings where the rods attach to the crank, and drop the crank out....or is it alot more complicated than that?
XP
You can't just drop and it replace it.

Also, you'll have to remove the engine from the car.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you don't mind upgrading to a more powerful engine, you can find a D16Z6 for $750 on this site: http://www.nippon-motors.com/honda.htm

You would also need a P28 ECU, which usually run somewhere around $100 (cheaper if you can find one at a local junkyard)
Old 02-07-2012, 03:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a chip in the key-hole that connects it to the harmonic balancer. It's small now and the key is fairly tight, but mechanics I've talked to and forum members say it'll probably wear out eventually. As for when, who knows: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3021865.

Engine runs perfectly now, but the guy who worked on it isn't confident at all that it'll run perfect for that long. And I don't think it's because he's trying to get money out of me, since he knows 100% that he'll never work on my car again, since I live nowhere near him.
and there's only about a hundred different work-arounds to fix the issue that don't cost you $1000+
Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 AM
The Grumpiest

XP
Don't recall doing any repairs himself as an option in the OP.
Originally Posted by jbpnoman
and there's only about a hundred different work-arounds to fix the issue that don't cost you $1000+
Not necessarily true if he isn't doing any of the work himself.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

XP
what you're describing would work for replacing the main bearings with the engine in the car, but more is holding the crank in than that. remember the flywheel (and con rods) is bolted to the crank so the transmission would have to come off to get to that... even after that the crank will still be held in by the oil pump at the front and the rear main seal "housing" at the rear.

I think that for someone who has a lot of knowledge about the value of these cars, yes, it's a pure finance question. But I don't, so I can't really appraise the value of option #1, which is why I'm asking for the technical insight. I'm familiar with the crapshoot that is #2. I have the money either way.
I agree, it's a financial decision requiring technical info. like others have said, it's better to swap in a good used engine than trying to find a replacement vehicle. well... assuming the vehicle is in good shape otherwise. i would recommend finding a shop to do the work then asking them if the car is worth the cost of a new engine.

you could also check Kelly Blue Book to get a value (private party) and then get a quote from a local installer. my personal rule of thumb: if the engine will cost more than 75% of the total value of the car, look for a new car.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy a new engine.