Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

buying a car with highmileage with freeway miles

Old 01-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buying a car with highmileage with freeway miles

what are the pros and cons of buying a car with high mileage because of city to city commuting?? would the condition of the engine be the same since it still ran the same miles if commuting or daily drives a day?? i ask this question because i wanna buy this car which the person says the car is still like new with no scratches or dings but with 156k miles of commuting from L.A., San Diego and Portland Oregon...but if i do buy it i wouldnt want it to break down faster cause it still was driving that many miles...just some thoughts
Old 01-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if i were you, i would think about what you are gonna end up doing to your car. would you want to keep the engine thats in it? or would you want to swap an engine later? also if youre going to keep it na or go fi... it probly wouldnt hurt to tell us what kind of car it is, more people might be able to tell you if its worth keeping the engine thats in it and building it up, or to toss it and do a swap. and another thing, was the owner into tuning and mods? if so then its possible that engine has some wear and tear
Old 01-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blkSi)

heres the craigslist post, http://www.craigslist.org/pen/car/127333926.html

yea if i had a lower mileage car i was going to do a fi...which is why im asking about what the condition of the engine would be after all that commuting...i was also thinking about doing a b16 swap but i do want the most bang for my buck
Old 01-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: buying a car with highmileage with freeway miles (cilvia)

heres my take on high mileage cars. if he doesnt have proof of his maintenance work do not buy it, unless you have time to check for problems.

i had a 98 civic which i drove about 100 miles a day. needless to say i had to do an oil change every month..

i ended up with 168,000+ when i sold it in 2003 (5 year old car) and i did only 1 smog check and passed with below readings...and never leaked either.

this was all due to monthly maintenance on the car. and i had all my reciepts. knowing i was going to commute it was in my best interest if i was going to pay for the work i should have proof of my spending on the car.

and your first clue from this seller to pass on it is "no dings, or scratches." trust me... going that many miles on the freeway.. you will have dings and scratches just from the rocks and **** from other cars no less the trucks on the road.....
Old 01-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: buying a car with highmileage with freeway miles (cxSHOE)

highway miles are better because they are constant. City miles are harder on the engine because you constantly accelerate and stop. Every owner is gonna say they're all highway miles. Maybe they are, but be suspicious. Yes, Hondas do last for a very long time, but that takes proper maintenance. Look at the overall condition of the car. Just how dirty anything is will tell you about it. And yea, what kinda car?
Old 01-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a car with highmileage with freeway miles (deadend9009)

^^yup, its a 99 ex civic...a link to the persons post three replys up...ima see if i could get it under 5k dollars...if not ima end up passing..
Old 01-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do a leak down and compression test if you are very interested.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

$6k is a little pricey for a 156k car even if it's in mint condition(as he says). Look

into the car with plenty of research before the actual purchase, and it'll be a good

buy.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes highway miles are better than city. The engine turns over less revlutions and it is not wasting time idling. However the rest of the car, bearings, axles....etc. undergoes just as much work as city miles.

Also are you sure they are "mostly highway"? Everyone says that.

Lastly, what is the weather like in Portland, do they salt the roads? If so you may want to check for rust. In "cali" cars die out cause of milage and what not, where I am from (they salt roads) almost all cars just die from rust even though the engine has tons of life left.

Just my 2 cents,
Cheers and good luck.