Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine hits firewall when i accelerate/decelerate fast.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine hits firewall when i accelerate/decelerate fast.

As topic states, when i accelerate or decelerate too fast, i hear a THUNK noise. I believe that is my engine hitting the firewall.

Which mount do i have to replace?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Engine hits firewall when i accelerate/decelerate fast. (efocmacro)

if your engine is hitting your fire wall you have a serious mount problem.
dont be lazy, just go pop the hood, and try and wiggle your engine around while you look at the mounts. thats the easiest way to tell.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Engine hits firewall when i accelerate/decelerate fast. (knockout)

Another way to tell is to put the car in gear with the e-brake pulled up hard. Give it just a little bit to where it wants to move the car, but not enough to run your friend over. (The friend looking under the hood while you do this)

Then the friend will tell you if it's a mount issue or something else. If the friend doesn't tell you what is wrong, than they aren't your friend.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine hits firewall when i accelerate/decelerate fast. (stealthmode62)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Another way to tell is to put the car in gear with the e-brake pulled up hard. Give it just a little bit to where it wants to move the car, but not enough to run your friend over. (The friend looking under the hood while you do this)

Then the friend will tell you if it's a mount issue or something else. If the friend doesn't tell you what is wrong, than they aren't your friend. </TD></TR></TABLE>

or you ran him over... but definitly sounds like a mount issue.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol i had this problem. but everytime i accelerated. my shifter would pop back and forth. because the tranny was moving forward and backward. its cuz we only had 1 bolt in the rear mount. make sure u have all of them nice and secure.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:36 PM

the bolt that screws the tranny to the rear mount is loose

tighten her up
Old 08-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea. agreed. there should be three. of them. one from the left going right. its a lil behind yur starter. and the two on the other side of the mount coming left.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SoHc94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Another way to tell is to put the car in gear with the e-brake pulled up hard. Give it just a little bit to where it wants to move the car, but not enough to run your friend over. (The friend looking under the hood while you do this)

Then the friend will tell you if it's a mount issue or something else. If the friend doesn't tell you what is wrong, than they aren't your friend. </TD></TR></TABLE>

this has to be by far the dumbest post i have ever seen. congratulations your an idiot!

to the OP: pop the hood. turn your car on but leave it in neutral so it idles with the parking brake up. and go to your intake mani and give it a slight rev to see how it moves. then you will be able to see the mounts when the engine torques. and plus you wont kill your friend
Old 08-23-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: (dohcVTECeg2)

I'm the idiot, except you forgot that the motor spinning with the resistance of the transmission is what will create the torque necessary to see where the problem is.

Thanks for sounding smart though.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (stealthmode62)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I'm the idiot, except you forgot that the motor spinning with the resistance of the transmission is what will create the torque necessary to see where the problem is.

Thanks for sounding smart though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Only if it's a tranny mount. I would still put it at idle w/ the parking brake up and rev it up a little using the butterfly spring. See what happens, see if you can see/hear the thump, if not, you'll have to go otherwise.

Personally, if it doesn't work in neutral....JUST personally...I would lock the e-brake and pop the clutch next to the redline with somebody NEAR the engine (but not in the way of the car) and see if I could pinpoint the noise. Regardless of what motor you have or what the saftey pple say the tires will be too loose for the car to move or grab.... If somebody doesnt' mind the smoke would be the only thing you have to worry about...which shouldn't be a problem since you only have to do it a few times very quickly to see what the noise is..

But I'm not sggesting that or anything... , just what I would do.