Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine harness swap (From obd2a to obd1) mini me swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine harness swap (From obd2a to obd1) mini me swap

Hi guys. Kindly please help me or give some advise on what to do on my engine harness swap from obd2a (my current harness i think so) to obd1. I am currently doing mini me swap and done to swap from non vtec head with vtec p08 head. In connection to that, i bought a obd1 dizzy,ecu and injectors with a set of oem obd1 harness. What im thinking is, do fuse box be affected with this swap ?if yes how can i correct or rewire my obd1 to the fuse box. Sorry for my english, not a native speaker. Thanks.

Car model: civix 96 LXI
Engine: PH15A (d15z4 i think) with p08 head
Old 03-25-2024, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine harness swap (From obd2a to obd1) mini me swap

Anyone guys? I also want to ask about the conversion to chassis harness wiring. My current ECU is p2c, (a 2 plug like an obd1 but i is an obd2 connection wiring). I also got an obd1 ECU which is P06, but still cannot use it becuase I need to convert my harness first from obd2 to obd1.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 799 Likes on 739 Posts
Default Re: Engine harness swap (From obd2a to obd1) mini me swap

What you are trying to do (with respect to the path that you are following) will be INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT !!! You do not have an understanding of what OBD-2 and OBD-1 really means. OBD (On Board Diagnostic) 1, 2A and 2B are USDM creations... and a few other global markets use it as well. Many people from other non-USDM markets improperly refer to OBD-X types due to plug/clip styles. In your cars case, it sounds like you have an engine harness with many OBD-2 style plugs and OBD-1 style ECU plugs. OBD-1 and OBD-2 fuel injectors (assuming the latter is sized the same as the former at 235cc) function nearly identically... they just have DIFFERENT injector plug types. Why change the engine harness clips if they function the same ? Distributors... both the OBD-1 and OBD-2 distributors internally function exactly the same... so again, why change them and modify the engine harness just because they have different plug designs ? Ultimately, you will need to purchase injectors, a distributor, etc. for the engine harness style that comes with the chassis harness that you choose/acquire.

Your issue is that you have a car available/sold OUTSIDE of the USA... and you only have two of the three "OBD-1 style" ECU plugs. The best conversion will be to replace the ENTIRE chassis and engine harness from a USDM (left hand drive) or JDM (right hand drive) chassis of the same type (model year, number of doors and trim level). Trying to add the third ECU plug will require significant wiring conversion and you will need multiple FSM's to plan this out. If you are not really comfortable with wiring... this will be quite daunting.