Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EMS Question

I have recently purchased a p72 ecu that will eventually run my h22a. Problem is that it the jdm version just as the engine. So therefore the s200 is my only hondata choice. In another year or two I am going to try to go for boost so the boost option will be needed. I have been hearing real good things about Neptune. Another problem is that there is only one tuner in town for it as of now and if he isn't available then what the heck. There are a good 4 reputable shops with in a 20 mile radius of me that are good with hondata, so I was leaning toward it because of the abundant tuners. I don't know anything about tuning my own ride so I perfer to pay someone who knows what they are doing. I have searched and searched to see what boosting on a neptune has in store in case I do get to boost. I guess my quesion is does neptune come boostable in it's form from the start or does it have to have the option added like hondata. Based on the Neptune's site, it appears that it is usdm and jdm ecu friendly unlike the s300. I really don't want to deal with the free stuff like crome and uberdata. I have my mind set on hondata or neputune only. Yeah the aem ems would be nice but it is overkill for me and out of my pocket range for my goals.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: EMS Question (flight50)

I went with the AEM, but between Hondata and Neptune I still like Hondata. That whole dealer licensing thing really bugs me. There was a case where a very good tuner couldn't get Neptune to let him be a tuner for their system because another tuner across town already had a license. expletive that, nobody tells me who to use to tune my car, and nobody tells me I can't have access to the tune. I don't care if their system is better, I'm not comfortable with their business practices.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EMS Question (rmcdaniels)

I agree. I don't think is right to have only one tuner in town with the rights. What happens if he skips town for vacation, or his dyno goes down. Anything can happen. This guy might me 10 mins from me but for someone else he is 2 hrs. There are at least a dozen shops in the entire dfw are and only one does neptune. Most don't have money to ship a car just for a tune or be able to take off work for that matter to drive here. I hear decent thing of crome as well mainly because of price but I think hondata is more popular and easier tuned in my area, so I have to consider that. Neptune sounds all good but I think I am stuck with the s200. I also hear that Neptune is suppose to have a release that allow you to tune youself but that is not in my interest. i prefer to pay some with experience. unless i had loads of money to burn, i am not gonna risk my project at the expense of my handywork,lol.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If they actually release the tuning tool to the user, then you could probably have anyone tune it. As far as I know it's just another chipped Honda ECU with a nice interface and some snappy features, not like a dedicated standalone system like AEM or Motec. I heard that they were going to do it, but don't really follow it as I've got the AEM.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So any tuner can do it. But would they have to know the Neptune format or are they all pretty much the same.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It depends on what the tuner is comfortable with, call your local tuners and ask.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I know I should call. I was just thinking that if they can't tune with Neptune that they know nothing of it especially compared to the one guy in town that can tune with it.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly is your budget for a stand alone?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EMS Question (apexi_eg6)

i can't see myself spending 1k+ when i can go hondata or neptune for under 500 bucks. my ride will never see the track. daily driven street car is my focus with no more than 400whp.

Modified by flight50 at 5:09 PM 11/27/2005