Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol problems...again...

Old 11-26-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default del sol problems...again...

ok the car is a 1993 del sol S-coupe that has about 155,xxx miles on it. the motor is a D15b7 which is completey stock. no mods were ever done to this car at anytime. so about 3 months ago i got the car and the clutch burned up, then 3 weeks later it happend again. now the first incident i will take the blame for. first time driver and things happen. well after the second clutch was installed the shop also installed a resurfaced flywheel. so the 3 weeks passed and then thats when the second one went out. this whole time people were telling me that i also blew a headgasket or fried my piston rings (or both) now i was told when a clutch burns up that you will not be able to shift gears at all. which i was able to do. now it happend again and three different shops are telling me i blew my motor all together which i cant see happening because 1. the motor starts up fine and revs fine. 2. all electronics works. 3. only thing wrong with the car is an extreme amount of grayish/white smoke comming from the exhuast after rev'd over 3-4000 RPM. now what could this be thats cause my car to do this? i can start it up fine but cant drive it because NO power gets to the wheels unless you rev it all the way up with your foot on the gas in first gear and thatll get you up to 10mph after about 3 minutes of messing with it (only tried twice after it first hapopend, i dont want to mess it up anymore). can anybody point me in the right direction? or even come by someday to check it out. TIA. Kyle-
Old 11-26-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: del sol problems...again... (Squallie)

Wow dude you need to add some paraghaps in there if you want some people to read it and help you.

Anyhow this is my GUESS cause it was hard for me to read.

Grayish/White smoke means your burning coolant in the motor so a head gasket is probably in order. Is the car over heating and how does your coolant look?

Blue smoke means oil if Im not mistaken so I doubt its the piston rings, Either way you can do a compression check to look for proplems in both area's unfortunetly tho it wont tell you which it is just that you have a leak.

Now as for the car not going anywhere, That is more then likely a clutch proplem specificly burned up, Im guesing your able to press on the pedal and disengage the clutch allowing you to shift but its getting no traction on the flywheel because of something. Oil leak from the trans or motor perhaps? or improperly installed clutch is a possibility. Im also assuming you installed a new pressure plate with the clutch, bled the system and checked the travel seeing how a shop did it. Travel almost never needs to be adjusted but it should be checked everytime.

Other then seeing it Im at a loss,
Old 11-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: del sol problems...again... (nocturnaldragon)

U are getting jipped. I have a feeling your shop or whoever is dicking you around.
As long as your clutch is broken in properly, especially on oem clutches, you will be fine.
TO be honest, I didn't even really break in my oem exedy stage 1 clutch, on my z6 motor, and i still to this day beat the living **** out of it, and although the clutch feel is real loose, loose compared to say a S13, My clutch still grabs hard.
Also make sure they are installing the right clutch, as I know some people install 01-04 civic clutches, which have a weaker clutch disc, as opposed to 92-95 or 92-00 civic clutch discs
Old 11-27-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Re: del sol problems...again... (MugenHonda)

all of what u are saying is making sense, but no the car does not over heat, and no leaks, but i have herd about them installing the wrong clutch-one from a Si model- and yes i know the shop is getting over on me once i seen the price. im guessing im just going to replace the headgasket myself and go from there. the clutch will wait until i get more money.

paragraph # 2 ....if i were to replace the headgasket will i know if that caused the smoke. like after i install it and theres no more smoke. could that be it? because the first two times the clutch got replaced it smoke the same ammount and everything, but once i get the new clutch it was all fine. and the guy that fixed my tranny said it could be my beginer driving....then me and him went around the block and he took back his words and that its not my driving. so any more options? thanks alot-
Old 11-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States

get another d15 block and install it. they're cheap and not worth the hassle unless you know what you're doing.
With your inexperience, there is no point in changing headgaskets unless you are prepared for the downtime
Old 11-27-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: del sol problems...again... (MugenHonda)

i have another car, its either sell the del sol and wait till summer and buy a newer car (RSX-S) or fix this have have fun driving it untill i get the RSX-S . so its basicly just finding the route thats least expensive but will last me a couple more months. so your saying buy a new complete D15b7 block and keep the current head and put that together instead of just buying a new head gasket?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Squallie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have another car, its either sell the del sol and wait till summer and buy a newer car (RSX-S) or fix this have have fun driving it untill i get the RSX-S . so its basicly just finding the route thats least expensive but will last me a couple more months. so your saying buy a new complete D15b7 block and keep the current head and put that together instead of just buying a new head gasket?</TD></TR></TABLE>

sell it nowwwwwww, del sols are no fun in the rain
Old 11-27-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: del sol problems...again... (ADVAN EG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ADVAN EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sell it nowwwwwww, del sols are no fun in the rain </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know, its not a Daily anyway, i have alot of plans for it and it is my first car also. so yea i want to keep it since the going rate for one in my area is from $3000-8000. you dont wanna know what i paid for it
Old 11-27-2005, 03:22 AM

could there be a hangnail/snag on the flywheel if they didnt resurface it right and could that be tearing up my clutch? TIA-
Old 11-27-2005, 10:16 AM