Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK LCA DX to EX conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK LCA DX to EX conversion

I've been wanting to upgrade my 99 DX hatch with swaybars front and rear. The problem I saw was that I didn't want to get the ST kit that is made for cars without a swaybar in the front because I didn't like where the kit mounted to the front LCAs. I like the stock setup of the EX model and I know that the LCAs of both cars are almost identical, short of the hole in the back half of the EX LCA for the swaybar endlink. I found LCAs off a 96 EX in the junkyard but I've already put new bushings in my LCAs on my 99. So my question is can i just use the rear half of the 96 EX LCA and bolt it to the front half of my 99 DX LCA to make basically an EX front suspension and just buy and upgraded swaybar for a 99 EX? I know I would need the brackets and bushings where the swaybar pivots, I'm just wondering if anyone has done this? I know people have swapped over to all Si components but I wanted to save myself the trouble and $ of swapping out the forks and complete LCAs if I could. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EK LCA DX to EX conversion (Hondacivic90ed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondacivic90ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been wanting to upgrade my 99 DX hatch with swaybars front and rear. The problem I saw was that I didn't want to get the ST kit that is made for cars without a swaybar in the front because I didn't like where the kit mounted to the front LCAs. I like the stock setup of the EX model and I know that the LCAs of both cars are almost identical, short of the hole in the back half of the EX LCA for the swaybar endlink. I found LCAs off a 96 EX in the junkyard but I've already put new bushings in my LCAs on my 99. So my question is can i just use the rear half of the 96 EX LCA and bolt it to the front half of my 99 DX LCA to make basically an EX front suspension and just buy and upgraded swaybar for a 99 EX? I know I would need the brackets and bushings where the swaybar pivots, I'm just wondering if anyone has done this? I know people have swapped over to all Si components but I wanted to save myself the trouble and $ of swapping out the forks and complete LCAs if I could. Thanks for the help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

everything is fully swappable. you can upgrade the swaybar and if get an aftermarket one like ST, Eibach, etc. they come with the links and bushing needed to install it.

but i don't quite understand what you mean about swapping out the first half of the rear control arm. it's all one piece.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK LCA DX to EX conversion (philosofy1)

Sorry its hard to understand w/out pictures.

I have LCAs w/ no holes for swaybars in the front but the LCAs can be split into two pieces, the front part that looks like the old LCAs from like an EF that have the shock mount and inner pivot and outer ball joint shown here in green. This part on my car already has new ES bushings in it from a previously broken bolt that I had to remove which was seized to a bushing so I don't want to swap out the entire LCA just the other half shown here in red off of the other car. Basically making a hybrid LCA, but not really because it looks like both LCAs are identical other than the rear half of them. I just want to use the 96 EX rear half of the front LCA on the front half of the 99 DX front LCA.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did what you did or plan to do. I used an Integra "A" part with the hole and bolted it up to the Civic "I" part without any problems.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondacivic90ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry its hard to understand w/out pictures.

I have LCAs w/ no holes for swaybars in the front but the LCAs can be split into two pieces, the front part that looks like the old LCAs from like an EF that have the shock mount and inner pivot and outer ball joint shown here in green. This part on my car already has new ES bushings in it from a previously broken bolt that I had to remove which was seized to a bushing so I don't want to swap out the entire LCA just the other half shown here in red off of the other car. Basically making a hybrid LCA, but not really because it looks like both LCAs are identical other than the rear half of them. I just want to use the 96 EX rear half of the front LCA on the front half of the 99 DX front LCA.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

then yes you can do this, and still keep the new bushings. but looking at the pics, those LCA's look like they are from a 92-95 civic/94-01 integra.

i thought ek civic's had one whole piece in the front LCA?

*EDIT*- nevermind you have the right pics.
then yes you can do this!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK LCA DX to EX conversion (philosofy1)

pulled these pics directly out of the parts catalogue from Honda, definately EK, I have them pulled off my car right now and they look identical