Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK hatch... Altered Suspension Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK hatch... Altered Suspension Ticket

Hey guys,

Wondering if someone can help me out. My girlfriend got a ticket in Salem City Virginia for her suspension a few weeks ago. Her court date is fast approaching, but I've done some research and I think the cop may have been wrong. I have spoken to the Virginia State Police, Salem City Sheriff, and I am going to get absolute certification from the Virginia State Code Commissiong concerning the law tomorrow. The code is Virginia code 46.2 - 1063 and it says this:

"No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as apassenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitudefrom the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on thelower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards,are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground."

The Virginia State police officer told me that if the bumper height is altered then you measure from the "frame rail" which I took to be the actual metal part of the bumper (behind the plastic cover most people would know as the "bumper"). I am getting confirmation from the code commission transportation officer tomorrow when I call back.

Here's my question though. The officer measured 6 inches in the front, 9 inches in the rear, which is obviously not right according to what a friend of mine told me (he got off because he told the judge the officer measured to the bottom of his bumper and that was not right). My girlfriend came to post tonight, and I measured roughly 7 and 10, to the bottom of the front and rear respectively with nothing in the car. If that's to the bottom, does anyone have access to a car with stock suspension who can tell me two things:

1) The height from the ground to the bottom of both the front and rear bumpers.
2) The height from the bottom of the bumper to the bumper bar?

I am not home because I go to a military school and I'm trying to do some rough calculations in my head. If anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Brian
Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK hatch... Altered Suspension Ticket

Come one, someone on here has to have an ek hatch with stock suspension. Help me out.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it the same for the coupes? I have the stock suspension on my civic coupe.
You want to know the height from bumper cover (front/rear) to ground and the height from the bottom of the bumper covers to the actual bumper?

Wouldn't tire size affect this as well? I had 205/55/16s on my car before and the car sat a few inches higher, but now i have steelies so it sits lower.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at your headlights, you should notice a little square close to the middle of the headlight. from that point, measure the distance to the ground. if you are 22 inches or higher, it will be legal.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trust me, ive gotten harrassed before. thats the point the cops always measured from. ive had to go through a check point twice in one night picking up a late night snack. measurements was perfectly at 22 inches. i just love out smarting the cops when all my **** is legit. i just drive off laughing.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The first thing that code say is a public hwy. Was she driving on a hwy if its not I'm pretty sure they have to throw the case out
Old 10-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jeephonda
The first thing that code say is a public hwy. Was she driving on a hwy if its not I'm pretty sure they have to throw the case out
In reference to the term "highway" in police code.

It is relative to the term "thoroughfare" in essence.

So, highway = thoroughfare = public road.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Measure your head lights OP.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Arthas
Measure your head lights OP.
This.

I have never heard of anyone measuring the bumper. And I have been pulled over for being "too low'' (Which is almost unheard of here)

Also, be mindful of where you measure the height. Most roads aren't perfectly flat, which can affect the measurement.

That was my agrument the last time i got stopped. The cop said, true, measured 20", and said it's not worth the time for me to right the ticket/impound you and let me go.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the measurement is too low. I have not heard of measuring to the headlights. The virginia state police officer told me frame rail, so I am assuming where the bumper bolts to the frame, because there is apparently a metal rail behind the bumper plastic. The code was written in the early eighties and says that it the bumper bar must be between 14-22 inches. No higher than 22 no lower than 14. I measured a Honda Oddesey parked outside the library on post this morning. Bottom of the front bumper is 11 inches off the ground. Still lower than 14 so I know it is not to the bottom. Are ya'll sure it is to the headlights though?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DEPintheCurve
Yeah the measurement is too low. I have not heard of measuring to the headlights. The virginia state police officer told me frame rail, so I am assuming where the bumper bolts to the frame, because there is apparently a metal rail behind the bumper plastic. The code was written in the early eighties and says that it the bumper bar must be between 14-22 inches. No higher than 22 no lower than 14. I measured a Honda Oddesey parked outside the library on post this morning. Bottom of the front bumper is 11 inches off the ground. Still lower than 14 so I know it is not to the bottom. Are ya'll sure it is to the headlights though?

Over here, yes, they measure the headlights. For my car's bumper to be at 14'' it would be a freaking monster truck. I'd have to lift the damn thing.

Take that to court. Snap some pictures of random cars with you measuring them.
Hopefully, you can find a vet to measure. No way those are even close!

EDIT- Just measured mine for the hell of it.

Bumper ground- 5'' W/SIR lip
Center of the headlight to ground 19-20

granted this on my drive way, but should be somewhat close to what it would be sitting on the street. I haven't had any issues. I am lowered approximently 2.5-3''

My guess is the rule needs to be adjusted for smaller cars as they tend to sit considerbily lower then the lumbering giant's.
I am also willing to put money that my friend's charger (09) isn't even 14''