Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK EX Knuckles compatible with DC Knuckles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK EX Knuckles compatible with DC Knuckles?

Been searching, came across contradictory posts.

Question: Can you mount a DC caliper on an EK EX (or Si) knuckle?

Background: I own a 97 DX with a DC front knuckle and caliper swap (98 Integra GSR ABS). The driver's side hub has warped causing uneven friction and a vibration when braking. I need a new hub / knuckle. I found a set of knuckles for a 2000 Canadian SiR (us SI I think). I'd like to avoid having to take my car apart on site to check if things fit since it's my daily driver.

I've seen 2 posts that contradict themselves.

BrakeExpert: http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/suspen...pplicable.html

Seems to indicate that you use an EK EX knuckle when installing DC calipers.

Honda-tech:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...89&postcount=8

Seems to indicate that Spoon calipers require a DC knuckle and not an EX knuckle (so they must differ)
Old 03-30-2010, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK EX Knuckles compatible with DC Knuckles?

ttt
Old 03-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you already have GSR knuckles fitted on there than 2000 Si/SiR knuckles will work! They have the holes on them already for your ABS wire harness and sensor good luck
Old 03-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TurboTron
If you already have GSR knuckles fitted on there than 2000 Si/SiR knuckles will work! They have the holes on them already for your ABS wire harness and sensor good luck
Thanks for the reply! How sure are you of this? From what I read, the holes line up, but the caliper mounting bracket might be too thick and rub against the rotor.

Thanks again for any extra info!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HOLD ON!! 99-00 Si/SiR calipers are "floating" I think the Integra Calipers are the same by pictures i've seen...they should line up. Can you not just replace the bearing and hub itself? thats all i did
Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HOLD ON!! 99-00 Si/SiR calipers are "floating" I think the Integra Calipers are the same by pictures i've seen...they should line up. Can you not just replace the bearing and hub itself? thats all i did
Yeah the teg caliper floats too. Hmm...so you think the second link I posted (spoon calipers) doesn't work with the EK knuckle because the spoon caliper doesn't float?? My worry is that the caliper mount might be too thick to fit between the rotor and the knuckle.

I thought of replacing the bearing and the hub but since no hubs show up on the used market, I might as well just get the full knuckle. I don't intend on buying yet another bearing for this car...It's been a headache since day one (that specific bearing was replaced twice with honda bearings @ honda) now the hub is warped. I hate this car but I need it as a DD.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unless you know for sure it's warped your hub itself should be fine, they put up with all sorts of heat and abuse. I think all Integra 94-01 calipers are floating but only 99-00 civic Si/SiR calipers are the same design as the Integras..the EX caliper system is different. I'd say get the 99-00 civic knuckle with 99-00 civic caliper brackets and use your calipers. I don't know anything about the spoon kits.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unless you know for sure it's warped your hub itself should be fine, they put up with all sorts of heat and abuse. I think all Integra 94-01 calipers are floating but only 99-00 civic Si/SiR calipers are the same design as the Integras..the EX caliper system is different. I'd say get the 99-00 civic knuckle with 99-00 civic caliper brackets and use your calipers. I don't know anything about the spoon kits.
Cool...the knuckles I've found are off a 99-00 canadian SiR (US SI I think). You 100% sure the SiR calipers are the same as the teg (can't find matching part numbers on the knuckles or calipers)? If so, I'm home free.

I'm pretty sure the hub is warped as I can't see any other way that the rotor would wabble in and out 2mm at the edge. I've tried a new rotor, changing the position of the rotor with respect to the hub etc. I guess the bearing could be in their crooket too....but that doesn't seem as likely since it was pressed in with a shop press and the tolerances are really small.

I was at honda when the dude installed the bearing...he had to get the innner race off with a zip gun and chewed the hub up a bit...maybe it weakened the metal and caused it to warp...not sure. A new knuckle will solve that and I found a used set for 40$
Old 04-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For future reference, Civic SIR (us Si) calipers are compatible with DC calipers, using the DC caliper brackets.