Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK door panel question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK door panel question

I think i have seen this done before but not certain. I am about the add power windows to my EK using OEM SI parts. However, i am not going to add the PDL. On the passenger side, i can just swap panels, no problem.....but on the driver side, the SI door panels has a bigger cutout for the PDL switch, which the stock DX bezel will not cover, and even if i used a SI bezel, there will be a hole where the switch once was. Here is what i want to do:

Can i take the felt part (red felt for CTRs) of the SI panels (have larger cutouts for the PW switch) and mate it with the regular DX panel? That way, i will have the smaller door lock cutout and have the larger felt cutout for the switch.

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EK door panel question (Petah)

im not exactly sure but when I did some audio work I took off my door panels and the felt on the handle part, I think what your talking about, was fastened, but seemed like it could be removed, could be a lot of work though.... just be careful.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: EK door panel question (CooBlueDAB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CooBlueDAB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not exactly sure but when I did some audio work I took off my door panels and the felt on the handle part, I think what your talking about, was fastened, but seemed like it could be removed, could be a lot of work though.... just be careful.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the inserts (where fabric is) is a bitch to take out & harder to put back in. I know this b/c I just finished putting black suede w/red (purchased from butmore on ebay) stitch fabric on my ek's doors...

the inserts are held in with plastic rivets that are melted in place. I had to use a dremel to cut away the tops of the rivets...then had to use 1/4 & 1/2 long screws to get them back in place...some of which already popped out. I read in other threads that some people used a soldering iron to melt (scrap) plastic to fill the the holes (something i want to try)

what I am trying to find out for Petah is if the outline for the inserts is the same for crank windows as opposed to power windows...if the outline is the same it will work - but if its different you need to use si (power window) full panels
Old 09-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK door panel question (adirondackR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adirondackR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the inserts (where fabric is) is a bitch to take out & harder to put back in. I know this b/c I just finished putting black suede w/red (purchased from butmore on ebay) stitch fabric on my ek's doors...

the inserts are held in with plastic rivets that are melted in place. I had to use a dremel to cut away the tops of the rivets...then had to use 1/4 & 1/2 long screws to get them back in place...some of which already popped out. I read in other threads that some people used a soldering iron to melt (scrap) plastic to fill the the holes (something i want to try)

what I am trying to find out for Petah is if the outline for the inserts is the same for crank windows as opposed to power windows...if the outline is the same it will work - but if its different you need to use si (power window) full panels </TD></TR></TABLE>

I got both panel....i am sure the outline is the same....or at least 90%. I knew about the melting plastic rivets thingy as well....just want to know how people got it off and managed to secure the new sude peice back into place. But now i know to dremel away and use screws to remount the thing, i think i will go ahead and do that! SWEETNESS!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes - it will work!!! the door inserts have the same outline

thread on replacing armrests
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=780973
Old 09-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info!