Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK Cupholders....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK Cupholders....

This thread may not be technical enough for this forum - if it needs to be moved just let me know.

OK - Let's get down to brass tax...

Personally I can't deal with picking up another leaking Styrofoam cup off my floorboard anymore. The cupholders on my 00 hatch have to be the worst I have ever used on any car - period. They are just to shallow and depending on the size of the beverage... to wide.

I have done some searching and found that the 96-98 cupholders can be swapped in with no modifications. While I was looking around and found some pictures of these setups - it looks to me like they are the same size as the stock EG cupholders. Being the Mt. Dew addict that I am I have to have the ultra mega chug and it must fit into my cup holder.

Are there any cupholders that will accommodate a drink larger than the typical can that will also fit into my 00 hatch?

Otherwise I'm going to device some sort of "device" to raise the cupholder or mount some sort of attachment to help hold the drink in around corners...

Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK Cupholders.... (-[95cxhatch]-)

do you have the insert for the right side cupholder? That seems to help.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK Cupholders.... (Burnt Toast)

I don't think so... the right one s larger than the left.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2368752

Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yep, and there is an insert that you put in it. It makes the diameter smaller and raises the sides up alittle. Go to majestic honda and look up the console to get a part number. Start looking at some interior pics and you'll see what it looks like. I can get a pic later on tonight if you still need it.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info! I'm pulling up Majestic's website right now to check it out.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you referring to part #41?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats the one.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 96 and the cupholders are still useless, I hear the pop-out jdm cup holders work pretty well but I got better things to spend a 100 bucks on
Old 08-20-2008, 10:51 AM
* B A N N E D *

I found this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/99-00-B16A...wItem
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Even with that insert (part #41 in the diagram), it only makes the right cupholder the same size as the left cupholder (since the right cupholder is larger than the left without the insert). It doesn't do a significantly better job at holding cups.

I have a 2000 Civic hatch, with the insert...it doesn't do a thing.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:56 AM

Default Re: EK Cupholders.... (Fatchance187)

i just dont allow anything but bottles in my car simply for the fact that cups dont stay put. but i've never seen those inserts before, anyone have an actual picture of them? maybe holding a plastic cup?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK Cupholders.... (Frickr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just dont allow anything but bottles in my car simply for the fact that cups dont stay put. but i've never seen those inserts before, anyone have an actual picture of them? maybe holding a plastic cup? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Go to the ebay link that dude posted above.

I'm telling you though...the insert is worthless.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:14 AM

Default Re: EK Cupholders.... (andoxviii)

guess i didnt see the link. but i was kind of thinkin that..... first day i got my car i stopped in at burger king and made it around the first corner with my soda, and all over the floormat...

ill just stick to pop bottles from now on
Old 08-20-2008, 11:18 AM

I HAVE THAT INSERT! trust me its BS! it goes in the larger cuphole spot and makes it as small as the smaller one. i have the 99-00cupholders now that i have a 96 im really thinking of swaping out my 99s cupholder to older style!
so far cups hold so much better in my 96civic with the flip up lid.

the lid holds the cup from tiping as far forwards and also the cupholder edge is a sharp edge so it makes the cup harder to just roll over the side like the 99style ones!

only thing i dont care for about the 96-98 one is the upper pocket area is smaller..
the 99-00 cup holder is larger opening to put my sunglasses in.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK Cupholders.... (addiction2bass)

http://excoboard.com/exco/thre...95228

Click for a pic of the insert in a 99-00 civic.

It makes the bottle well deeper as well as making it smaller.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[IMG]&lt;br/&gt;By &lt;a target="_new" href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/civic_stud"&gt;civic_stud&lt;/a&gt;, shot with &lt;a target="_new" href="http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=FinePix+A210&make=FUJIFILM"&gt ;FinePix A210&lt;/a&gt; at 2008-08-20[/IMG]
Old 08-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Burnt Toast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://excoboard.com/exco/thre...95228

Click for a pic of the insert in a 99-00 civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A picture of the insert is already posted above in the eBay link.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Burnt Toast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It makes the bottle well deeper as well as making it smaller.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No it doesn't. All it does is make the right cup holder the same size as the left. And if you think a 1-2 mm height increase is enough to make a difference, than you are sadly mistaken.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A picture of the insert is already posted above in the eBay link.

No it doesn't. All it does is make the right cup holder the same size as the left. And if you think a 1-2 mm height increase is enough to make a difference, than you are sadly mistaken.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look at the [freak]ing pic of it in an actual cup holder......Even Ray Charles or Helen Keller could see that the edge of the insert is raised over the other well. Get a [freak]ing clue.

Also the ebay pic doesn't show it placed in the well, thats why I added it, so the op could see for himself that it is HIGHER then the other side.

Modified by Burnt Toast at 6:04 PM 8/20/2008
Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Burnt Toast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Look at the [freak]ing pic of it in an actual cup holder......Even Ray Charles or Helen Keller could see that the edge of the insert is raised over the other well. Get a [freak]ing clue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Easy there, champ. When did I say that it wasn't raised? I clearly stated it was a couple millimeters taller. Or perhaps you didn't understand what "mm" meant, because you are living in the imperial system. Either way, I think its about time to put your big-boy pants on and chill out. No need to get all nasty.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Burnt Toast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also the ebay pic doesn't show it placed in the well, thats why I added it, so dumbass like you could see for yourself that it is HIGHER then the other side.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And your picture also clearly shows how WIDE the cup holder still is, even with the insert. And if you bothered to read the entire thread, you would have noticed that I said I own a 2000 hatch with an insert.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright well it looks like everyone is in agreement that the ek cupholders generally just plain suck.

I think the main problem is that the cup holders are 2 shallow... Is there anything right below the base of the cup holder? If there is some room there maybe I could cut out the base and extend it down some...
Old 08-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (-[95cxhatch]-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -[95cxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-]Is there anything right below the base of the cup holder? If there is some room there maybe I could cut out the base and extend it down some... </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a neat idea actually. The only trick will be to do it in a subtle way, as to not drastically change the appearance of it.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:08 PM

Default Re: (-[95cxhatch]-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -[95cxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-]alright well it looks like everyone is in agreement that the ek cupholders generally just plain suck.

I think the main problem is that the cup holders are 2 shallow... Is there anything right below the base of the cup holder? If there is some room there maybe I could cut out the base and extend it down some... </TD></TR></TABLE>

i just had mine all tore out to clean it out in the sink good, and i think theres a good inch and a half below that level.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like I might be busting out the dremel...
Old 08-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Easy there, champ. When did I say that it wasn't raised? I clearly stated it was a couple millimeters taller. Or perhaps you didn't understand what "mm" meant, because you are living in the imperial system. Either way, I think its about time to put your big-boy pants on and chill out. No need to get all nasty.

And your picture also clearly shows how WIDE the cup holder still is, even with the insert. And if you bothered to read the entire thread, you would have noticed that I said I own a 2000 hatch with an insert.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well spanky, when I said it make the well deeper (ie taller) as well as narrower, you quoted me and then added "No it doesn't. All it does is make the right cup holder the same size as the left. And if you think a 1-2 mm height increase is enough to make a difference, than you are sadly mistaken." I never said it made it the SAME SIZE as the left, I said it made it smaller in diameter.

I know plenty about the metric system, I've designed many, many kilometers of roadway in my time, and YES, the insert does help. I never said it was the end all, saving grace or cats meow, just that it helps.

Quick Reply: EK Cupholders....