Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eg6/d15b vtec exhaust system - straight pipe too raspy

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 eg6/d15b vtec exhaust system - straight pipe too raspy

sup HT ok i got a eg6 d15bvtec 4-2-1 headers intake 2 1/4 stright pipping with an after market exauste(not a fart canon) every thing is fine on the pipping but it seems to be a bit to raspy i want it to sound cleaner there for would a test pipe or resonator help?? and i also got a fix it ticket for a mod exauste there for wen i get it signd off r they going to check if i have a cat or not or do i gotta put my stock pipping back on ??
Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: stright pippng too raspy

holy run on sentence batman. is this a technical question or a text message?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a catalytic converter (ya know, that thing that you're federally required to have?) and a resonator.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if i put the cat back on with out a resonator wont that make it a bit quiter and u mean a stock one or one thats has been punch out so it looks like its there but its hallow?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its stupid to not run a cat, you are not going to gain much of anything you might even lose some. Put a resonator and muffler back on, or get to enjoy the fix it tickets.. it wont be your last waste of money...

Learn to spell
Old 09-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just clamp a cat on then swap it out after if you have to. But your in cali so just put a cat on so they dont rape you in tickets and end up paying more then the damn car is worth
Old 09-17-2012, 11:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

BAHAHAHA you're in California, and you aren't running a cat?

Yeah, good luck with that. No, do not hollow your cat out. I try not to be an *** most of the time, but you're just being straight stupid. Get a Cali certified cat that is the proper tube diameter for your exhaust, and have a shop weld it in for you.

Yes, it will make it quieter. Not a quiet as if you were running a resonator with the cat, but still quieter.

Hope you got BAR'd parts.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
Its stupid to not run a cat, you are not going to gain much of anything you might even lose some. Put a resonator and muffler back on, or get to enjoy the fix it tickets.. it wont be your last waste of money...

Learn to spell
haha ummm people dont run cats for a reason. the honeycomb inside of a cat reduces the flow of the exhaust. i would still recomend putting a muffler back on or it will be raspy and loud. as for not having a cat in cali. you can still run a stock or aftermarket cat but i would recomend punching out all of the honeycomb to make it look as if you had a cat but its not obstructing any exhaust gasses.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadowcat
haha ummm people dont run cats for a reason. the honeycomb inside of a cat reduces the flow of the exhaust. i would still recomend putting a muffler back on or it will be raspy and loud. as for not having a cat in cali. you can still run a stock or aftermarket cat but i would recomend punching out all of the honeycomb to make it look as if you had a cat but its not obstructing any exhaust gasses.
Show me the DYNO's for all of this 'lost power'
I guarantee it's **** compared to what you think.

OP, the only surefire way you're going to get rid of rasp is adding something to the mixture that acts as a deadener, I.E. Resonator (multiples possibly), Catalytic, better / more mufflers (seen it done, was silly)
Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The loss of power will not be that big. I have a y7 with a stock manifold and cat with a magnaflow catback and it actually sounds great. This is going to be a crazy statement for a honda but there is no rasp at all. its smooth and the tone is nice. I would have to say if you posted a thread about the sound being to raspy, you won't be too upset about losing a negligible amount of power. A cat will help.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by purgat0ry
Show me the DYNO's for all of this 'lost power'
I guarantee it's **** compared to what you think.

OP, the only surefire way you're going to get rid of rasp is adding something to the mixture that acts as a deadener, I.E. Resonator (multiples possibly), Catalytic, better / more mufflers (seen it done, was silly)
+1

A cat will not slow down your economy car.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i run a high flow cat. the butt dyno noticed no difference between cat and catless. i passed deq and made a 132 whp and 104 ft/lbs on a mystang dyno with a shitty tune and every bolt on you can have (short ram 2.75" intake, ls tb, skunk2 manifold, ebay header, high flow cat, 2.5" exhaust) on my a6/z6 motor. also i love how people talk **** about a "fart cannon" yet you rock strait pipe, giving your car an even worse sound. and for that matter california has strict air rules for a reason. not just because they love being dicks, but because there actually is an air pollution problem
Old 09-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg6 d15bvtec exhaust system - straight pipe too raspy

Many post on several forums about running catless and I have to agree with most negative points of doing so.From experience I can tell you what running catless (16DY8) does:

Cons:

1) Puts you at risk for a federal violation in all states
2) Strong odor, especially at stop lights on non windy days
3) Very minimal horsepower gain, seems only noticeable after 6000 RPMS
4) Creates extra interior noise, bit similar to low level jet engine sound. I personally like the sound and find it to give it a lower, throatier American sound,but I personally hate the raspy **** can sound of a resonator.

Pros:

1) Makes you a Defacto outlaw and your conscience can still be clear when you compare it to all the industrial pollutions our government and most others allow into the air.
2) Mine was a stick shift and after going catless it seems to catch quicker when shifting gears (more pep). Maybe a better way to say it is: it transitioned smoother while changing gears.
3) The sound: I preferred it post catless, but many others don't.
4) My mpg's went up a bit. I used the secondary spark plug extended (x2) to fool the ECU. worked fine.

After 6 months of catless guilt caught up to me and I put a new one on

After 4 months of catless
Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what i did on my del sol d15b7 with intake, i had an exhaust shop re do the piping from the cat back with 2 1/4 and i got a magnaflow muffler with a resonator. sounds deep, and not raspy at all. hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get an OEM cat and run a quality exahust system. Then you won't have rasp. Expect to spend $ on a quality exhaust. If you don't have $ then run a stock exhaust system.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Shadowcat
A few people have already corrected you, but you quoted me, so I'm responding. You have no idea what you're talking about.

OP, don't punch your cat, don't run a test pipe. Get a high flow, generic, weld-in cat with the same inlet/outlet size of your piping. Do not modify it. Get a resonator with the same inlet/outlet size of your piping. Take them to a local muffler shop, and have them weld both in.