Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG or 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG or 240sx

Last edited by drk_fly; 12-12-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: ...
Old 10-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG or 240sx (drk_fly)

honda forum?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Re: EG or 240sx (StreetEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StreetEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honda forum?</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha forreal you're in a honda forum. eg ftw!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG or 240sx (StreetEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StreetEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honda forum?</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 10-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG or 240sx (aquito)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dez4o8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha forreal you're in a honda forum. eg ftw! </TD></TR></TABLE>

word
Old 10-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say go with the honda....personally i wouldnt use a b20 but build a honda most deff
Old 10-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

EG Ftw
Old 10-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drk_fly
the pros and cons as i see it. of course this is derived from my limited knowledge. and when i say limited i really do mean it.

Civic eg. plans.. motorswap (b20?), and suspension and small engine upgrades.

-cheaper than 240sx
-less maintenance, or easier to work on
-simpler
-smaller
-fuel effiecient, but that doesnt matter as i would be driving hard quite a bit.
-i wouldnt be able to drift &lt;drifting appeals to me as it seems like a whole bunch of fun, and its really interesting how one can control a car while its out of control. but its purely for the fun.

240sx
-^^^^it can drift
-decently fuel efficient
-rwd
-have to dish out money for tires and suspension ****, and replacing them too. *anyone here who drifts say once a week just casually for fun, that knows how often **** breaks and/or how much it costs a month or per part to fix?

*ill add stuff to each side if i think of things. i know it seems the civic is outweighing it, and i guess it is. only reason why i would want a 240sx is that it can drift, isnt a dime a dozen so much as the civic, and it looks sicccckkk. but a clean eg looks sick too. but more so 240sx.

thanks in advance.
Personally, I would go with the 240...though judging by what you have here, I'd go with the civic if I were you.

One of the reasons I say go with the EG over the 240 is it's easier for most people to drive FWD opposed to driving RWD, easier to have control and easier to gain lost control as the re-direction force is always in the direction of the steering wheel.

Please don't take offense to this but the way you're saying it, it really sounds like you know absolutely nothing about drifting and that you just watched tokyo drift or something to that effect (or you saw the falken drift team on speed or something). It reallllly sounds like you have absolutley no idea what kind of game you're getting into.

It also sounds like you don't have a lot of experience working on cars. I'm not exactly one to talk as I find it harder to work on 4 cylinders opposed to old style carbed V8's but the fact is very solid when comparing these cars - a honda is a lot easier and cheaper to work on.

Fuel efficiency, the EG (Or all civics) are made to be ecoboxes, they're made ot have very high mpg and trying not to sacrifice power, this is usually great if the world is flat at this usually results in less displacement (famous 1.6L honda engines) which results in less torque. On the flipside the KA24DE is a torquier engine, it was made to replace the up to 91 engine of the 240's, the KA24E (SOHC). The engine is made as a "race" engine, therefore completely disregards fuel efficiencies. The S13 generation (up to 94) uses the KA24DE with the more aggressive cams (opposed to the S14 gen (94-98) which uses slightly lower profile cams) but for all intents and purposes is like the jump from a D16Z6 to a D16Y8 (basically nothing, you can't notice the S14's have a little bit lower power), but hte body is completely re-done. That's just picking one out though, that part would be after you decide if you want a 240sx or a civic. Like I said though, the KA24DE was made to be a race improovement of an already largely displaced SOHC KA24E, it wasn't exactly made with fuel economics in mind - it's okay on gas, but it won't come close to the civic.

Also. Drifting beats the living **** out of your engine (if you disregard all the times you slip and spin into a wall), your car looks like **** very quickly. When I got into temporarily drifting (or trying to anyway :-P) I used my friend's 88 or 89 corolla as it was a winter beater and that's what I "tested out" drifting on - I personally found out that I don't think it's for me, but never-the-less the point is the car looked like it's been 4 world wars from each of us learning BASIC drifting on it. If you go drifting hardcore in your daily driver not only will it look like ****, but it wll run like **** too. Remember, the core concept to drifting is that you are next to the redline the whole time and are revving the **** out of the motor. Therefore, a 240sx (well one that you wouldn't want to smash up anyway) would not make a good car to learn how to drift in...and please don't claim you know enough that you can just go out there and be tokyo drifting....it's really a far cry from reality. - Basically knowing how to oversteer doesn't mean you can drift...a lot of people make that mistake and it ***** them over at their first event.

Next part...you basically hit the nail on the head, the 240sx ISN'T as rare as the civic, so you'll be spending more on parts, and parts will be harder to find. Take a 92-95 EG for example, basically any 92-95 civic will have donatatable engine parts (w/ disregard to some things including the VTEC system). Parts are a lot cheaper too.

So which one would I pick? 240sx - but I don't have intentions of drifting in it, I have intentions of a daily driver plus I know them (b/c my friend has one) as well as I know civics so it makes little difference to me.

Which one would I buy if I was in your shoes? The civic <u>HANDS DOWN</u>. And I'm sure a lot of people are like O.O at this because they know I'm not really a big fan of "civic hands down" thinking (or boasting the civic to any sort of "high" level) - but in this case I'd have to say that's an exception.

Take the civic, you'll thank it when gas prices go back up (yes, they're considered "low" right now as they'll shoot back up after elections). You'll also thank it the first time you loose control with it as a lot of people find it easier to regain control with a FWD opposed to a RWD car. You'll also thank it when you blow a shock or something as the prices will be a lot cheaper, you will definately thank it for not *** raping your wallet.

You seem big on the whole drifting thing but it really sounds like you have no idea what you're getting into.

Ask a drifter (a real drifter, not somebody that pulls doughnuts in a pecks market parking lot after he's had one too many) how many accidents they had whiile learning to drift. They will either say a rediculously high number, or (more likely)they won't even bother telling you because they have lost track themselves. You beat the expletive outta cars when you drift with them, both cosmetically and performance wise. It isn't smart to use the same car you use for drifting as a daily driver, if you want to drift, use a non-daily driver, buy 2 cars.

That's the only thing I can say is depicted well in tokyo drift, the Sylvia the first time the redneck dude drives it (against the drift king), your car really will look like that after awhile of drifting, bumpers 'n **** hanging off is 100% normal, even the best get it wrong sometimes.

Go with the EG Civic, you'll be a lot more appreciative of it and you'll love it more. Or you can go with 240 and claim inner beauty matters while driving around what appears to be a crumpled up beer can with 4 wheels driving around town while trying to drift "once a week."

In the end it's up to you, for you I say civic .

It's more practical too, I didn't even mention that, the motor swaps are nicely priced opposed to a 240 where you can wind up paying $$$$$ for motor grades. That b20 you want is a hop skip and a jump away with a civic, you wnat a 40hp increase with a 240 you'll have to WORK for it (and that doesn't even include the B20-V or B20-T (which is rapage).

Go with the civic....

Have any questions feel free PM me, IM me, or e-mail me.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG or 240sx (Syndacate)

i use to hate hondas only because there are a bunch of wanna be racers around here where i live, and ive been wanting a 240 since 8th grade haha yea that was a long time ago. but i ended up picking up an eg for a grand and thought might as well.

civics are soooo easy to work on its great anybody can take care of a civic on their own. i was also impressed with the control and handling of the car it was amazing. so far ive given up 3 chances to get a 240 and stick with my hatch and no regrets and im loving the mpg its like no other haha.

civic hands down
Old 10-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG or 240sx (MattsGreenEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MattsGreenEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i use to hate hondas only because there are a bunch of wanna be racers around here where i live, and ive been wanting a 240 since 8th grade haha yea that was a long time ago. but i ended up picking up an eg for a grand and thought might as well.

civics are soooo easy to work on its great anybody can take care of a civic on their own. i was also impressed with the control and handling of the car it was amazing. so far ive given up 3 chances to get a 240 and stick with my hatch and no regrets and im loving the mpg its like no other haha.

civic hands down </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow...one grand...join the millions of other people who get rediculously awesome deals just to spite me :-P
Old 10-18-2006, 10:46 AM

hatch all tha way
Old 10-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG or 240sx (slow eg6)

i totally agree. i personally want a 240 so i can continue to learn to drift. but drifting destroys cars. thats why people get sponsered. lol. go with the hatch for economy. i personally had a b20 vtec in my eg....it was sweet. lol. my buddies have 240s and they drift. all of em look like ****.

i think Syndacate hit the nail on the head with this one. not to even talk **** but i dont think you have the first clue about drifiting, and until you learn some more about it i would go and buy a DAILY driven car to do it in.

hatches =
Old 10-18-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: EG or 240sx (Pr0ject93hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow...one grand...join the millions of other people who get rediculously awesome deals just to spite me :-P</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got my EG for $500 . No joke either. All stock with minor scratches on the outside.

I say go with the EG since as some already said, parts aren't too hard to find for it and there's different options you can take with it.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG or 240sx (eetmaishiet)

get the civic

240's and drifting are gay.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last edited by drk_fly; 12-12-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: ...
Old 10-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you won't drift a day in your sad little life.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:40 PM

as an eg owner....civic all the way!!

Easy to use and can road race with the best of them if set up right. Yeah no drifting but you can boooosstttttt to feel better....