Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

effectiveness of removing a/c?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default effectiveness of removing a/c?

ive been through many a summer without a/c over here in cali... and it sux... bad! so my question is why are there so many people so insistant on removing a/c? is the hassel and discomfort worth it? i think not.. but idk im looking for some educated opinions..
Old 04-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: effectiveness of removing a/c? (Kurly)

Makes the engine bay a lot cleaner, frees a few hp, makes the car easier to work on, and lastly how many all-out , semi all-out, or daily racers do you see with a/c, lol. P.s., i've already taken mine out, and i dont have power steering, lol.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:36 PM

Default Re: effectiveness of removing a/c? (z6hatchboy)

yeah power steering is blah... i guess i question that teqnique because alot of the my friends take the a/c out of their dd to free up a minimal amount of horses.. when imo ide rather be 3-5 hp less with the comfrot of a/c.. idk i guess its a personal choice..
Old 04-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, it's a choice.

I'm in TX... gets too hot for me to be without it. My mind will wander while I'm driving if the heat gets to me. It has happened before. Pretty dangerous.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would keep the AC unless you like sweating. besides that i found that its also good for when it rains and its like 100 degrees out and when you close your window and it fogs right up and then u have 2 options 1 is open the window and mess up your interior and 2 turn on the heat when its 100 degrees out i did that before it sucks. i would keep it. but if you r looking for some easy hp i would take out your PS it feels better when you drive faster too.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Removing AC would hardly net anything, maybe 50-100 watts of energy spinning the pulley, AC only loads the system when it is on DUH!

In my opinion the AC button should say "GAIN 5-8HP!", turn it off when your racing if you think it will tip the table.

The power steering system is a drag though. It moves oil at high pressure constantly, which at high speed is a huge waste. One of the reasons so many manufacturers are going to fully electric racks, or manual racks with an electric assist on the steering shaft, like the newer Malibu has and the like.

Unless you can get your hands on a manual rack, I'd leave it alone.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 AM

Yeah I hear mainly for the 'hp' issue. But it's really not that much, but right it is a pain during rain, and super hot days. I live in FL so I know how it is to be hott, but i keep the windows all the way down and keep a paper fan on me hahah. I don't use it often, as I like the natural air better, BUT...it really is a plus when needed. if not, get the rain visors and just crack the windows so the windows don't fog, and if it's hot, just drive a bit faster lol
Old 04-28-2008, 03:25 PM

Default Re: effectiveness of removing a/c? (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Removing AC would hardly net anything, maybe 50-100 watts of energy spinning the pulley, AC only loads the system when it is on DUH!

In my opinion the AC button should say "GAIN 5-8HP!", turn it off when your racing if you think it will tip the table.

The power steering system is a drag though. It moves oil at high pressure constantly, which at high speed is a huge waste. One of the reasons so many manufacturers are going to fully electric racks, or manual racks with an electric assist on the steering shaft, like the newer Malibu has and the like.

Unless you can get your hands on a manual rack, I'd leave it alone.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats the kinda answer i like to see.. 2 you my friend!. thanx!