Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eBay air filter vs. brand name filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay air filter vs. brand name filter

I'm fairly certain this has been covered before but I am unable to find any information that is directly helpful in terms of comparison graphs etc. etc.. I'm sure it is probably common sense as well, but here I go.

Do name brand air filters like K&N, AEM, and INJEN flow more air (also more efficiently) than eBay filters? Everyone knows eBay filters are junk and cheaply made, but I am looking for quality proof that they are in-fact restrictive or whatever the case. I've been on AEM's website for example, have read and interpreted all the graphs but they obviously don't compare to eBay filters. Could any experienced H-T guru's shed some light? Thanks a lot!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eBay air filter vs. brand name filter

Anyone?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a K&N drop in. Clean it once every 30k and you're good to go for the life of the car. It does flow a little better, but I doubt it makes a noticeable difference
Old 04-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

an ebay filter will flow better then your stock but a brand name one like k&n will flow way better you can get a cone or a drop in if your using an aftermarket one,if you want gains in hp you got to pay for it
Old 04-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't get an ebay filter, my cousin used one on his turbo d16 a while back. Went over to a buddies house and car was smoking like crazy, popped up the hood and looked around to find that the filter just fell apart with chunks of rubber here and there. Apparently the filter element fell off from the rubber that holds it and the turbo ended up sucking a chuck of the rubber destroying his turbo.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is worth the extra money for better quality they will hold up longer and you get a noticeable hp gain
Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My LX had a cheap eBay or Autozone air filter and the element had holes. Just spend the money and get a K&N
Go to Amazon, they have a 3in dia flange K&N filter, part RU-3580 for like $38. That's the best I can find right now.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sde780
Get a K&N drop in. Clean it once every 30k and you're good to go for the life of the car. It does flow a little better, but I doubt it makes a noticeable difference
I have an eBay intake on my car now. I bought it with one. This is why I am asking. Regardless I think I will go out and get an AEM dryflow filter. No oiling for the win! Plus its AAA+ quality. But I was hoping some more experienced H-T users would chime in and provide me with some hard facts about filter flow dynamics and what not, not just stories and telling me how eBay filters suck. But thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 AM

The filters from companys like AEM and K&N have their filters designed with a velocity stack incorporated in to them. This design takes restriction away from the suction allowing it to flow air better, causing it to perform better. It was actually just tested in one of the tuner magazines.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StreetRacin101
The filters from companys like AEM and K&N have their filters designed with a velocity stack incorporated in to them. This design takes restriction away from the suction allowing it to flow air better, causing it to perform better. It was actually just tested in one of the tuner magazines.
Yes, as a matter of fact I read that article. It was in Import Tuner if I am correct. I believe they tested to see if removing your intake would cause you to loose power and did other tests with "custom" filters and an AEM brand filter. I think however that my eBay filter has a velocity stack?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:54 AM

get the k&n and use it forever, get an ebay, use it once..better yet keep the ebay filter so you can take the k&n when you sell the vehicle!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there was an online article that had a filter shoot out, comparing both flow and filtration ability. I cant remember all the results off the top of my head, but the Apex'i filter both out flowed and out filtered the competition. Blitz flowed well but had the worst filtration. AEM flowed very well and provided decent filtration. I forgot the other results.
Like posted above, there was an article in a recent issue showing dyno numbers using both an AEM dryflow and an open intake tube. The "velocity stack" design incorporated into the filter allows the intake to suck in air from a more broad area, not just in a straight line as an open intake does. Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Yea I remember the APEXi was the s#it.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember seeing a thread on here (I THINK) where somebody compared a SRI, CAI and a velocity stack with different filters etc. on the dyno.

If I come across it again I'll post it up.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO, Generic filters flow better than brand name filters because they are cheaply made. I put up my generic filter against the sun and I could see a lot of light. Then I put my AEM Dry Flow against the sun and less light. It looked more restrictive, but I rather lose some power and keep my engine clean (which blew anyways lol) then to have it dirty.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arthas
IMHO, Generic filters flow better than brand name filters because they are cheaply made. I put up my generic filter against the sun and I could see a lot of light. Then I put my AEM Dry Flow against the sun and less light. It looked more restrictive, but I rather lose some power and keep my engine clean (which blew anyways lol) then to have it dirty.
How can you compare filter flow by holding it up to the sun? The only example in which that test is viable is comparing a new filter to a dirty one. Obviously if the the filter is dirty, it is going to obstruct more light flow than a new one.

In your example the cheaply made filter could conclusively be made from a fabric that is MORE transparent than the AEM filter which is why you see more light. It is that simple. Just because the AEM filter is a little more translucent doesn't mean it's not going to flow as well.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SOHC_civic_si
How can you compare filter flow by holding it up to the sun? The only example in which that test is viable is comparing a new filter to a dirty one. Obviously if the the filter is dirty, it is going to obstruct more light flow than a new one.

In your example the cheaply made filter could conclusively be made from a fabric that is MORE transparent than the AEM filter which is why you see more light. It is that simple. Just because the AEM filter is a little more translucent doesn't mean it's not going to flow as well.
The AEM filter is LESS translucent. Ive seen many charts in which the AEM filter came out worst when compared to other filters. It flows less.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The AEM filter is LESS translucent. Ive seen many charts in which the AEM filter came out worst when compared to other filters. It flows less.
Sorry that was a typo. I meant to put less. Post these graphs you have seen. Who would compare an eBay filter to an AEM one?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:45 AM

I gotta say you have no idea what you are talking about. Visibility has nothing to do with flow if the filter creates turbulance inside the internal chamber of he filter. Turbulance creates restriction.