Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quick question, do I need an alignement afer doing rear disk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question, do I need an alignement afer doing rear disk?

Hey, I'm going to be installing coilovers with Blox rear lower control arms on my Civic, and then I will get an alignment since I lowered it.

However, I have a rear disc swap sitting in my garage. I was going to install it in a few months since I'm lazy.

However, my question is, when I do it, do I need to do an alignment again? Because if so then I would do it all at once so I don't have to waste money on two alignments, otherwise I'll wait to do the rear disc.

Thank you!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Quick question, do I need an alignement afer doing rear disk?

I would think a camber kit would be FAR more important than an alignment at this point. Unless you are just going for looks and not performance.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:20 AM

and i would think you would need an alignment after swaping rear brakes.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlitzSix
Hey, I'm going to be installing coilovers with Blox rear lower control arms on my Civic, and then I will get an alignment since I lowered it.

However, I have a rear disc swap sitting in my garage. I was going to install it in a few months since I'm lazy.

However, my question is, when I do it, do I need to do an alignment again? Because if so then I would do it all at once so I don't have to waste money on two alignments, otherwise I'll wait to do the rear disc.

Thank you!
as stated above, did you install a camber kit too when you installed the new suspension?, because if you didnt i would highly recommend that you do. and im not sure that you would need an alignment, but you can always go up to the place you are going to get your car aligned at and ask
Old 04-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes! definately!

lowering + replacing suspension parts = random toe

and toe wears tires, can hinder handling and control, etc. etc...

Originally Posted by jeremyrocksursox
as stated above, did you install a camber kit too when you installed the new suspension?
i would recommend a sliding balljoint front upper control arm for camber in the front (omni power.. cheap and effective). and in the rear you can just use bolts and thick washers from a hardware store.

Last edited by MonkeyMagic; 04-02-2009 at 06:28 AM. Reason: cause i can *****
Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not installing a camber kit at this time. There is tons of mixed thoughts on this, but I don't think it will re required as I'm not slamming it. From what I gather if it's 2 inches or less I should be okay. I know someone who has a 1.8 inch drop, and he has gotten many alignments, and they have always been able to put it within spec no problem, without a camber kit. If I get an alignment done and the shop tells me they can't put it within spec, then I will either raise it up a little bit or get a camber kit.

But yeah, I will do both at once then I guess. Hopefully it's not too bad, I'm doing this with a donor car... the car has coilovers and the rear disc, so I'm just going to swap my stock stuff on there, hopefully it won't be too bad.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:45 AM

They won't be able to put it into spec without a cambeer kit because the camber isn't adjustable. My car sits just over the tires and while the front is at a good -1.4 setting, the rears are -2.5 on one side and -2.8 on the other. Stock camber in the rear is already -1 if I remember correctly, so anything else is really going to be excessive.

Although I like how people mention getting a camber kit as something seperate from getting an alignment. It's part of the parts needed to do it correctly after lowering.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow... i don't recommend a camber kit unless your slammed. honestly this has be discussed time and time again but. TOE will eat tires faster then camber, its easily confused with camber wear. and 99.9% of the times the dick head at the shop that's doing your alignment will tell you its camber doing it, its called selling you **** you don't really need.

my eg is not tucking, but i have about 1 finger of a gap (14" steelies) and NO camber kit. just a good alignment.

but to your original question, it would be a good idea to atleast have it checked after you do the rear disk swap. you never know what may come up.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Perfect Balance
They won't be able to put it into spec without a cambeer kit because the camber isn't adjustable. My car sits just over the tires and while the front is at a good -1.4 setting, the rears are -2.5 on one side and -2.8 on the other. Stock camber in the rear is already -1 if I remember correctly, so anything else is really going to be excessive.

Although I like how people mention getting a camber kit as something seperate from getting an alignment. It's part of the parts needed to do it correctly after lowering.
asides from camber what can they not put to spec with out a camber kit?

:/
Old 04-03-2009, 04:01 AM

Camber is the only thing they really need to adjust that they won't be able to. Caster isn't either in the front, but that's not a big deal.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

As some one stated already any suspension work done to your vehicle will cause something to get out of line so it's a must to do alignment just to be safe .