Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Easy - Timing Belt Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy - Timing Belt Question

On c-speedracings' site, they say in the 4th paragraph :
"In order to remove the lower timing belt cover, you will have to remove the upper driverside engine mount. Also, before going any further, put the crank bolt back on and rotate the crank until the timing mark on the cams gears line up. On the OEM cam gears, the 'UP' arrows should point up and the timing marks on the teeth should line up the same as shown in the picture."

Quoted from http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...t.php

The part in bold is what I am questioning.
Why do you have to line up the cam gears before removing the timing belt? I understand lining them up during the install, but why during the removal? Should you do the same for the SOHC?
Old 08-01-2003, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming they just put that in there so you don't have to do it later.

Really no reason to have it pointing up when taking it off that I can see, aside from everything is still connected and you can just rotate the belt thus moving all the parts together.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Easy - Timing Belt Question (2camsaam)

because if you disconnect the timing belt then adjust everything it's all going to slap into each other... unless you rotate ALL the components at the same time... which is kinda pointless since you can achieve the same goal by just turning the crank to align everything before you take of the T belt...

Simply put... if you're at cyl. 2 tdc and disconnect the T belt then rotate the crank... it's going to hit fully open valves (you won't be able to turn it past that point) before it reaches 1tdc...

You also risk throughing off the timing... it's better to have it where it should be (basically) when you pull the T-belt so you can do any minor adjustments needed but not risk setting anything MAJORLY off....
Old 08-01-2003, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Easy - Timing Belt Question (2camsaam)

it just makes it easier if everything is at top dead center to begin with. You can align everything once the old belt is off (you most likley will have to re align everything any way), but its good to have it set up right TDC) to start off with.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Easy - Timing Belt Question (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">because if you disconnect the timing belt then adjust everything it's all going to slap into each other... unless you rotate ALL the components at the same time... which is kinda pointless since you can achieve the same goal by just turning the crank to align everything before you take of the T belt...

Simply put... if you're at cyl. 2 tdc and disconnect the T belt then rotate the crank... it's going to hit fully open valves (you won't be able to turn it past that point) before it reaches 1tdc...

You also risk throughing off the timing... it's better to have it where it should be (basically) when you pull the T-belt so you can do any minor adjustments needed but not risk setting anything MAJORLY off....</TD></TR></TABLE>

YOU MAKE SENSE!

thank you for explaining that to me. I don't mind following instructions, but it just helps to know why I am doing what I am doing, not just how to.

Thanks again.