Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 05:30 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 As of earlier today, my car has NO power when it runs, it barely moves

1995 Honda Civic, auto trans
Engine is 1.5L VTEC-E, emgine code D15Z1
No real mods except for a lot of new parts

Symptom: Car will no longer rev past 1800RPM and goes "BRAP" over and ober loudly when it hits 1800RPM, almost like a rev limiter. Runs and drives, inhibitedly.

Hello all. I am troubled. My car has developed a new and more serious issue today. This started after it has run for awhile. At its simplest, it develops so little power that it would barely go about 5MPH or so with its foot to the floor. Was running fine .. then in the morning it stalled, and had difficulty starting back up. I loosened up my IACV/EACH to try to let in air, since I had been fighting a high and then surging idle, and I also had put taped-up paper towels on the upper and lower holes of the intake at the throttle body. When I opened it up to look for them, they were no longer there.

Please realize that these issues are unique to my car, and nobody else should go doing this.

And this happens the day before my interview for my 2nd job. And also that I work tonight.

From cold, I started it, and it *seemed* to want to run ok. About 60 seconds later, it would make a very LOUD *BRAP*BRAP*BRAP* noise.. then, back to the barely 5MPH when floored. It now sits on the street.

Should I take my intake manifold off? Is it airflow restricted? What could be causing this? Going to use other car tonight, I would like to get this right tomorrow after my interview.

Thank you.

Last edited by W95civicEXcoupe; 12-22-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:32 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Default Re: As of earlier today, my car has NO power when it runs, it barely moves

Here is a visual demonstration. It is doing the same thing as in this video, shot earlier today. Car has no power. It starts up fine. (The first time. Then it struggles.)

Unplugging/replugging sensors, battery.. yielded no result.. that time..

I do hope it is air.. Your help is appreciated.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:29 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: As of earlier today, my car has NO power when it runs, it barely moves

Your halfassed engine rebuild has failed you. How long did it last? IIRC, I gave it a week.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:34 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Your halfassed engine rebuild has failed you. How long did it last? IIRC, I gave it a week.
You think that's what it is?

Should I do a compression test?
Old 12-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where did the towels you sucked in wind up? clearly your cel light doesnt work, replace it and run codes.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:15 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Originally Posted by W95civicEXcoupe
You think that's what it is?

Should I do a compression test?
No, you should not do a compression test. You should push the car into the Jersey river, and go buy something with a warranty. When something goes wrong, take it to the shop and let them fix it for you. You are, in no way, shape, or form, cut out to be fixing your own cars. While you're at it, call this number. It's the number for Essex County Vocational Technical Schools, in Newark. Enroll in some automotive courses. It is painfully obvious that no matter what we tell you, and no matter how we try to help you, you're only going to ignore our advice, so please, stop wasting our time and yours. Go learn something.

(973) 412-2050
Old 12-21-2015, 10:05 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eHMxhACk
You might get it to run. You won't get it to keep running. You don't understand the difference.

eH.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:13 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
No, you should not do a compression test. You should push the car into the Jersey river, and go buy something with a warranty. When something goes wrong, take it to the shop and let them fix it for you. You are, in no way, shape, or form, cut out to be fixing your own cars. While you're at it, call this number. It's the number for Essex County Vocational Technical Schools, in Newark. Enroll in some automotive courses. It is painfully obvious that no matter what we tell you, and no matter how we try to help you, you're only going to ignore our advice, so please, stop wasting our time and yours. Go learn something.

(973) 412-2050
That's funny.

I think my air intake is plugged up, should I try to let a chemical neat a hole through the blockage or should I try to take it off?
Old 12-21-2015, 10:26 PM
yippee-ki-yay

That's funny.
Except he's serious.

I think my air intake is plugged up, should I try to let a chemical neat a hole through the blockage or should I try to take it off?
The chemical, definitely!

eH.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would respond but my brain can't process this
Old 12-21-2015, 10:31 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just stop messing with cars altogether. Seriously who the heck told you that stuffing paper towels into those holes was a good idea? What the heck were you even trying to accomplish? And why do your solutions always seem to involve throwing random *** chemical **** at everything?
Old 12-21-2015, 10:38 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by 24TEN
Just stop messing with cars altogether. Seriously who the heck told you that stuffing paper towels into those holes was a good idea? What the heck were you even trying to accomplish? And why do your solutions always seem to involve throwing random *** chemical **** at everything?
I'm getting good with chemicals and what they do, but. To answer your question, I wadded up two paper towels and put electrical tape on the ends to stuff in the holes. This smoothed my idle to a nice low idle, and ended the racey, vacuum-leaky, followed by surge, gas-waste and sometimes no power of running and idle. Worked REALLY well. At some point today, after a nice run, it began to stall and bog, and these paper towels were no longer in the holes!

So.. now I must clear the blockage.

This is where I'm at.. My car has cheated death a lot, I even put flush in the cooling system to get out crud. Car doesn't even boil over until I use it a decent amount with that 50/50 mix. Flushing while it is free-flowing, as I next want to put in an OEM Stat.

I need the Honda now more than ever, so. I've come this far..

In the video, my pedal was to the floor. It somehow got enough air to Rev near the end, but the car had NO power, and was probably running Pig Rich. An oil change is in order, too. My oil is nice ad black. Dark black.

I left the battery disconnected so sensors and ECUS can reset, too.

I can either try to "blow out" the air clog, or disassemble, and start looking for the paper towels.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:38 PM
yippee-ki-yay

I loosened up my IACV/EACH to try to let in air, since I had been fighting a high and then surging idle, and I also had put taped-up paper towels on the upper and lower holes of the intake at the throttle body. When I opened it up to look for them, they were no longer there.
Interesting, what edition of the FSM do you have? Mine doesn't have that procedure in it.

eH.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:41 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by eHMxhACk
Interesting, what edition of the FSM do you have? Mine doesn't have that procedure in it.

eH.
I will partially respond in saying that the FSM'S procedure did not solve my idle issue. At all.

The paper towels did.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:49 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

In the morning, I will make an effort to find it. I have a job interview at 10AM. They love the Honda there too.

What would happen if you left a blue paper shop towel in the intake and drove it? - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Old 12-21-2015, 11:15 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

I wadded up two paper towels and put electrical tape on the ends to stuff in the holes. This smoothed my idle to a nice low idle, and ended the racey, vacuum-leaky, followed by surge, gas-waste and sometimes no power of running and idle. Worked REALLY well. At some point today, after a nice run, it began to stall and bog, and these paper towels were no longer in the holes!
See this is where you fucked up. Instead of learning what the video was demonstrating in the link you provided in your other thread that you "bowed" out of, you learned that the holes needed to be blocked in order for your car to idle properly which is completely wrong. It was a process called diagnosis and the guy in the video was very thorough in the thought process and repair. You on the other hand decided to do something completely on your own (go figure) and ignore the advice/lesson (again, go figure). I'll tell you what I think happened. I'm willing to bet your tape install wasn't anywhere near as good as you thought it was. The pieces of tape probably just came off on their own and all of that got sucked right into the intake manifold OR the tape was getting hit by the throttle plate and slowly peeled it off and, again, all that crap got sucked right into the intake manifold. The big question is did it get stuck in the manifold? Or did it block an intake port or two? Or did it make it's way into the combustion chamber and do some real damage?

Car doesn't even boil over until I use it a decent amount with that 50/50 mix. Flushing while it is free-flowing, as I next want to put in an OEM Stat.
If the car is "boiling over" it's a problem no matter what you say. There isn't a single situation when that should be happening unless there is an issue with the cooling system or some component that comes into contact with the coolant.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:50 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

See this is where you fucked up. Instead of learning what the video was demonstrating in the link you provided in your other thread that you "bowed" out of, you learned that the holes needed to be blocked in order for your car to idle properly which is completely wrong. It was a process called diagnosis and the guy in the video was very thorough in the thought process and repair. You on the other hand decided to do something completely on your own (go figure) and ignore the advice/lesson (again, go figure). I'll tell you what I think happened. I'm willing to bet your tape install wasn't anywhere near as good as you thought it was. The pieces of tape probably just came off on their own and all of that got sucked right into the intake manifold OR the tape was getting hit by the throttle plate and slowly peeled it off and, again, all that crap got sucked right into the intake manifold. The big question is did it get stuck in the manifold? Or did it block an intake port or two? Or did it make it's way into the combustion chamber and do some real damage?

If the car is "boiling over" it's a problem no matter what you say. There isn't a single situation when that should be happening unless there is an issue with the cooling system or some component that comes into contact with the coolant.
Yes, I hope it's not in a combustion chamber. That would suck.

If it's anywhere else I should be able to find it..

And, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but, it has been suggested that my radiator was just THAT plugged up, to inhibit flow, increase heat, and cause boil-over after an extended period of time (agree, should never happen.)

The part that scares me is that every other car that had "boiling coolant" that i had had something wrong with the head, since rumbling tank is boiling coant, ad its different than purging air (tank doesnt rumble after shutoff from boiling coolant purging air, maybe overflow a little but it stops after a drive or two. Rumbling tank js different.) You know when you take the head off, and the head gasket looks completely fine..

I also check for mixing of fluids after EVERY drive, and see nothing. Nada. My oil cap is clean. On Blown or seeping HG cars.. it's not. There is either coolant in oil, or oil in coolant. My car does not do this. Which is why I am stupefied.

I supposed I am scared of a Block Test, but it's either that or the radiator. I guess l do that, after I find this paper towel.

I feel better that I learned where it can go, etc. This car is... (no words)
Old 12-22-2015, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My gawd, this thread is a slap in the face....

For even clicking it
Old 12-22-2015, 02:26 AM
GDD's Resident Derp

Ok. First start of the A.M. it can move better.. but, it still revs to just shy of 2K RPM before it does not Rev anymore, and makes LOUD "BRAP-BRAP-BRAP-BRAP" noises.

So what does that indicate..

I turned in off before I saw cops..
Old 12-22-2015, 04:05 AM
GDD's Resident Derp

It seems to not want to get past 1800RPM before all the loud "BRAP" noises.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:31 AM
GDD's Resident Derp

Old 12-22-2015, 04:56 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Dude you already said you stuck paper towels into the ****** throttle body, go ****** find them! What difference does it make to describe or show the sound or whatever you're going to do next for us? You ****** stuck paper towels into the ****** intake!!!

Last edited by 24TEN; 12-22-2015 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fix the CEL in that car too.

EDIT: Nevermind.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:25 AM
GDD's Resident Derp

Dude you already said you stuck paper towels into the ****** throttle body, go ****** find them! What difference does it make to describe or show the sound or whatever you're going to do next for us? You ****** stuck paper towels into the ****** intake!!!
Can I blast them out?

I have been trying to blast them out.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

See forum Rules sticky. ALL tech thread require car/engine/mod information - no exceptions. Add the information to your first post.

Quick Reply: As of earlier today, my car has NO power when it runs, it barely moves