Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

driving with e-brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving with e-brake

how am i able to drive with my e-brake up? does it only stop the car from falling back or something?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Re: driving with e-brake (ek9-hatch)

The e-brake is not strong enough to hold the car back while its moving, only at a stop.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if u have drum brakes, pulling the e-brake all the way up locks the back wheels, so u'll spin the front tires b4 u drag them locked on a civic, if u have discs in the back they won't quite lock so u'll be able to pull it if the e-brake is all the way up but it'll be very difficult and u'll most likely overspin the tires on a civic before u get it to turn the back wheels..

Now if ur driving it everday and it doesn't feel like u have 40,000lbs behind u then ur e-brake is broke, plain and simple.. You shouldn't be able to drive with ur e-brake up....unless... you're driving with it up one click, if it's only up one or two clicks it's not too tight on the brakes..so u might not feel it at all but it'll be dragging ur brakes and wearing them out.... (which isn't good..)

Basically, the e-brake is the brake that stays on for the rear wheels (only the rear wheels), whether disc or drum it usually keeps the car from rolling on hills when parked, that's its function.. So u can't really drive w/ it all the way up (unless u really roast on the clutch, but then it'll feal like ur dragging 3 civics behind u) and if it's partially up u might not feel it but it's wearing down ur back brakes, like I said, if u don't feel nething when it's all the way up and ur driving around every day, then it's broken...know a guy who had a jetta w/ the e-brake broken, funny as **** used to be doing 80, 85 down the highway and be like "u wanna see something cool?" - then get down real far, and rip up the e-brake, it scares the **** outta people O.o -- But did nothing

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The e-brake is not strong enough to hold the car back while its moving, only at a stop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is strong enough to hold the car back.

EDIT:
It's all regulated by how far u pull it up, one or two clicks may not be much, but when u pull it up all teh way, the back tires will almost be or will be locked...
Old 06-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

push in the button at the end...like when you come up to a big hill to keep the car from rolling backwards when the BIG *** SUV drivers get right on your bumper...push in the button pull up.....let the clutch out till it grabs let off the e brake and goooo...un less you are talking about drifting...
Old 06-27-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: driving with e-brake (EG civic)

i've seen some people use it as their means of braking. so how can it stop a car that is potentially moving at 40 mph but cant hold a car that is beginning to move.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek9-hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've seen some people use it as their means of braking. so how can it stop a car that is potentially moving at 40 mph but cant hold a car that is beginning to move. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if ur car has disc brakes in the back, yanking it up most of the way will grab the discs (in the back only) and slow ur car down, not only would this be extremely stressful for ur back brakes as they are only meant to handle 30% (give or take) of the braking load, but if u jerk the wheel the back end is going to come out and u'll slide into a 90º or 180º, and there's a difference between holding ur car and stopping ur car, when ur slowing down...theoretically ur not giving it gas... well hopefully ur not giving it gas.... when ur trying to move ur giving it gas, ur comparing two different things... w/o stepping on the gas and pulling up the e-brake will slow down ur car (bad for it though), but driving it u can get it to pull the wheel expending MOST of it's torque and u'll never shift it into 2nd w/o stalling out....
Old 06-27-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: driving with e-brake (Syndacate)

yea the more i think about it now i would like to believe that i didn't pull my e-brake up all the way. therefore, i did damage my brakes a little. i think i only did it twice though, cause i was so used to driving an auto. i was just paranoid about damaging my car or it already having been damaged. even still, im not going to attempt to drive my car with the e-brake all the way up. i know it works enough to stuff my car from rolling down an incline.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well it's not a matter of breaking ur car, it just wears at ur brakes, it's like driving around with ur foot on the brake ("riding the brakes") - same thing 'cept the e-brake is only the rear brakes.. Best thing u can do is learn to start on a hill w/o using ur e-brake, if u spin the tires once or twice or burn the clutch a few times ur car'll forgive u, like I told everybody else I've seen learn to drive standard, u'll learn how to start on a hill far before u kill ur tires or ur clutch.. (usually) :-P
Old 06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GOOD JOB syndacate. best thead i have ever seen you post in.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: driving with e-brake (Syndacate)

i had to get up really early one day to go to work..got in my 4 runner and put it in gear...got about 10 miles down the road and i said WTF is that smell...wifey had pulled the ebrake cause i was parked on a small hill lol
Old 06-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GOOD JOB syndacate. best thead i have ever seen you post in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not sure if that's sarcasm or honesty, if that's honesty I have a lot of catching up to do T_T
Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not sure if that's sarcasm or honesty, if that's honesty I have a lot of catching up to do T_T</TD></TR></TABLE>

serious, the only part wrong was disc brakes will lock up just as easily as drums as long as the cables arent stretched.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dunno i have a 95 coupe ex
dad has a 93 si hatch
never have i locked up his rear brakes first when braking
******** were stopping abruptly on the hwy and i locked up the coupes rear drums not pushing very hard on the brakes and there is nothing wrong with either cars brakes
so the statement that rear disks have more stopping power is prolly false
i think it has to do more with balance
Old 06-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im talking parking brake, not hydraulic brakes. the misconception about rear disc is crazy. see the reason they reduce stopping distance is because they reduce pedal fade from overheating, therefore a higher rear biased can be used, therefore the entire brake system is more efficient at slowing the car. thats the "dont feel like typing technical terms and explaining every detail" reason.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i see yeah ive never tried to *** slide my dads si lol so i couldnt say lol