Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Drifting.. Alignment; bad tires; or what else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drifting.. Alignment; bad tires; or what else?

hey i got a 98 Civic DX coupe... i just put brand new tires on it and just got an alignment done. My car tends to drift slightly to the left when driving city wise.. When i start to reach highspeeds it drifts alot harder when i let go of the wheel.

what other things could i check to try to solve this problem?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tire pressure, or Try a new shop.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Drifting.. Alignment; bad tires; or what else? (Gouki133)

balance your wheels
Old 10-20-2006, 11:24 PM

wow when i saw that topic, i thought it was gonna be some kid asking why he couldnt get his civic sideways, lol. yea try a different shop and get another alignment.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:25 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

take it BACK to the shop and make them fix it for free.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Drifting.. Alignment; bad tires; or what else? (ridin98civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ridin98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow when i saw that topic, i thought it was gonna be some kid asking why he couldnt get his civic sideways, lol. yea try a different shop and get another alignment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, lol, that's why I clicked.

I go with try a different shop.

If it's pulling then it's most likely out of alignment, though it's hard to expletive up an alignment which leads me to believe that it actually is in alignment. Which brings me to the control arms, did you like, bash any of them recently? A bent control arm could do this too and you could still be aligned (I think...not positive if you could still be aligned 100%). A wheel balance or bent rim won't pull, it'll just shake.

I say take it to another shop, (full garage, not just a running gear place), tell them what's happening, and see what they say.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Drifting.. Alignment; bad tires; or what else? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Which brings me to the control arms, did you like, bash any of them recently?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, i actually just got the car a month ago, no accidents reported on car fax, and i have not been in one (knocks on wood). I really hope its not the control arm... im taking it back for a realignment on wednesday at the shop that did it [free ], hopefully they can get it working.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gouki133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, i actually just got the car a month ago, no accidents reported on car fax, and i have not been in one (knocks on wood). I really hope its not the control arm... im taking it back for a realignment on wednesday at the shop that did it [free ], hopefully they can get it working.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well that doesn't mean much, I bent the **** outta a control arm in my friend's barracuda because I nailed it too hard and understeered (well actually oversteered) into a curb.

I never reported it to carfax, I simply replaced it.

A good way to check is to jack the front end up on level ground (the same height on each side) and measure the distance from the center of the hub to the fender in three directions (front, back, and up). If they're pretty much the same then it should be in check.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Drifting.. Alignment; bad tires; or what else? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well that doesn't mean much, I bent the **** outta a control arm in my friend's barracuda because I nailed it too hard and understeered (well actually oversteered) into a curb.

I never reported it to carfax, I simply replaced it.

A good way to check is to jack the front end up on level ground (the same height on each side) and measure the distance from the center of the hub to the fender in three directions (front, back, and up). If they're pretty much the same then it should be in check.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok will do, i'll let you know how everything turns out
thanks for the advice
Old 10-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus...

You could have a bad tire. Switch the two front tires and see if the car pulls to the opposite side, or if the pull goes away all together.

There could be worn/bent suspension components as mentioned (bushings, tierods, balljoints, etc).

Contrary to previous facetious statements, it is VERY easy to mess up an alignment. You can't just let any tech get under there and expect things to be done right.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drifting.. Alignment; bad tires; or what else? (t0p_sh0tta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jesus...

You could have a bad tire. Switch the two front tires and see if the car pulls to the opposite side, or if the pull goes away all together.

There could be worn/bent suspension components as mentioned (bushings, tierods, balljoints, etc).

Contrary to previous facetious statements, it is VERY easy to mess up an alignment. You can't just let any tech get under there and expect things to be done right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

amen, on top of that, a bent control arm is not going to be within specs, it will need replaced, if it doesnt mess up the alignment it wouldnt cause a pull, DUH!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep your hands on the wheel