Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Doors won't lock... what's the problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doors won't lock... what's the problem???

Hello. I'm new to forum and thought some of you gurus might be able to help me with a problem. I just picked up a '97 Civic LX. It has power locks which don't function properly. The lock on the driver's door won't engage after I turn the car off and open the door. It works fine both manually and with the switch, up until I open the door. Then it will suddenly refuse to lock with either method. It seems kinda jammed when I push on it. If I let it sit for a while and come back later to try it, it works fine.

Anyone know what the problem might be? Does the car have some sort of anti-lock-your-keys-in-the-car type of mechanism that may be malfunctioning? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Doors won't lock... what's the problem??? (Bushwacker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bushwacker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does the car have some sort of anti-lock-your-keys-in-the-car type of mechanism that may be malfunctioning? Any info would be appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That isn't malfunctioning... Sounds to me like that IS the dummy proof-<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newbydude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anti-lock-your-keys-in-the-car type mechanism.</TD></TR></TABLE> as you called it. It does that in non-power windows too.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah .. i got in the habit of pulling the handle and then flicking the lock to overide it when i used to deliver pizzas part time..never thought id be stupid enough to lock my keys in the car but ended up doing it at a service station a few months ago.. kinda funny as i never thought it would happen to me...so bottom line is lock it from the outside..
Old 02-20-2004, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Doors won't lock... what's the problem??? (GARBhatch.)

OK, so what's the trick? Do I have to whisper sweet nothings or look at just right in order to lock the car when I leave it? Wanting to locking my car does not seem like an unreasonable expectation. Certainly something isn't working as designed.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:27 AM

you have to pull on the handle and lock the door at the same time(inside handle)
Old 02-20-2004, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Doors won't lock... what's the problem??? (EGh22aEG)

So I have to open the door, pull the latch out, push the lock down, and then release the handle? Is that right? I'm sitting in my office right now (working really hard) and I can't leave to test it out. I have to let the dealer know about any problems by today, so I need to make sure this isn't a problem.

While I have your attention, I have one other question. I found info on a recall of the throttle cable on the '97 LX because it's "sticky". My throttle is indeed quite sticky and it's difficult to be smooth with the gas pedal. Will a Honda delear replace the throttle cable for free?

Here's the recall notice from Edmunds.com:

Nature of Defect:
3. FUEL:THROTTLE LINKAGES AND CONTROL Recall Number: 99I002000
Dates Manufactured: N/A to N/A
Number of Vehicles Affected: N/A
Date Owners Notified On: N/A

Vehicle: 1997 Honda Civic
Defect Description:
This is not a safety recall in accordance with the Safety Act. However, it is deemed a safety improvement campaign by the agency. Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. The accelerator pedal feels rough or notchy when you press it.

Consequence of Defect:
It may feel like the car is not responding properly when traveling at low speeds and are required to move the accelerator pedal to make slight speed adjustments.

Corrective Action:
Dealers will replace the throttle cable.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well on my gf's 03 civic, you gotta pull on the handle while you press the lock, never used it on my 00 civic since i have keyless entry/alarm
Old 02-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bushwacker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Certainly something isn't working as designed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Certainly something is working exactly as designed

And it's the inside latch you have to pull.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Doors won't lock... what's the problem??? (JRI94)

in reference to your recall. I believe if it is a safety recall, the dealer must provide a fix to this problem for free. It is only "optional" recalls that you have to pay for.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Doors won't lock... what's the problem??? (GARBhatch.)

Thanks for all the info. I've never seen nor heard of car locks working in this manner, but if that's the way it is then so be it. Although, it is kinda lame IMO.