Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

does the coolant level drop in the resevoir?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does the coolant level drop in the resevoir?

months ago i filled my coolant resevoir up to the max line. i check couple days ago and the level has decreased considerably. is this normal? if not what could be causing this?

only thing that comes to mind is i replaced a hose before and it leaked because it wasn't clamped tight enough. but i fixed that problem later and there were no more leaks from that hose.

could the coolant also somehow have evaporated(the water in the coolant, not the antifreeze)?

thanks
Old 01-01-2003, 11:42 PM

Default Re: does the coolant level drop in the resevoir? (tFUnK)

no. coolant does not just disappear. i have had this problem and used to have to fill the reservoir back up about once a month. i had gotten a brand spanking new radiator so i knew that wasn't the problem. it had to be the hose, checked the upper and lower radiator hose... clamps were tight but nothing. didn't know what else to do i was leaving coolant on the ground but couldn't find the leak. it ended up being a heater hose from the engine block into the firewall.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does the coolant level drop in the resevoir? (HuskerHybrid)

make sure you bleed the system of air, i had that same problem i didnt blurp the radiator, so their was air pockets so it would sucked up the resevoir down to min, check that out too.

Carlo
Old 01-02-2003, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no. coolant does not just disappear. i have had this problem and used to have to fill the reservoir back up about once a month. i had gotten a brand spanking new radiator so i knew that wasn't the problem. it had to be the hose, checked the upper and lower radiator hose... clamps were tight but nothing. didn't know what else to do i was leaving coolant on the ground but couldn't find the leak. it ended up being a heater hose from the engine block into the firewall.
i think that was the hose i replaced that had the leak. i will check that later. thanks
Old 01-02-2003, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does the coolant level drop in the resevoir? (ChampwhiteSi)

make sure you bleed the system of air, i had that same problem i didnt blurp the radiator, so their was air pockets so it would sucked up the resevoir down to min, check that out too.

Carlo
don't quite get what you mean, how to i 'bleed' it? looks like this might also be the cause because the fluid level does not appear to go any lower.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: does the coolant level drop in the resevoir? (tFUnK)

I think he means run it till the thermostat opens and starts ciculating the coolant.The reason that your coolant res.could be low is that there is idle space(not taken up by coolant) in the motor,when the coolant ciculates it finds a new home in the engine and radiator,instead of the resevior.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:50 AM

Default Re: does the coolant level drop in the resevoir? (92b16vx)

actually, there's a little nipple valve coming off the block that you turn slightly to allow coolant to dribble out to relieve air bubbles when filling. also what you can do is remove your radiator cap fill radiator and reservoiur than you can run the heater and get the car to operating temps and it should burp the system
Old 01-02-2003, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your saying if I run my heater,my engine will reach operating temp.?