Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Do you have a hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have a hitch?

On this new civic i got, (its a 93 EX sedan) it has a hitch welded onto it. Does anyone else have one of these ugly bitches? And im assuming that ill have to cut it off with a plasma cutter and/or a dremel cutter.

Just curious
Old 08-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do you have a hitch? (brockscivic)

Plasma FTW.

No point in putting a tow hitch on a Civic at all.

Honda owners manual,"Do NOT attempt to tow wiuth this vehicle. It may (will) void any and all warranty."

Those of you who think different, BUY A FVCKING RIDGELINE.

Ah, hem. That being said. Just cut it out. Wouldnt be safe to tow with anyways, seeing as its welded to the car instead of bolted to the frame. Oh, wait, our cars dont have that type of frame.

I must have mistaked our car for a FVCKING RIDGELINE.

NOTE: I in no way endorse the use of the Honda Ridgeline. It tows like a piece of ****. Buy a real truck, like a Titan, Tacoma, F-Series or Silverado.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do you have a hitch? (Red_EM2)

You could put a bike rack in the hitch.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red_EM2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Plasma FTW.

Honda owners manual,"Do NOT attempt to tow wiuth this vehicle. It may (will) void any and all warranty."

Ah, hem. That being said. Just cut it out. Wouldnt be safe to tow with anyways, seeing as its welded to the car instead of bolted to the frame. Oh, wait, our cars dont have that type of frame.

NOTE: I in no way endorse the use of the Honda Ridgeline. It tows like a piece of ****. Buy a real truck, like a Titan, Tacoma, F-Series or Silverado.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For towing purposes I'd take a ram 2500 or 3500 cummins diesel over them any day. Just for driving purposes I'd take one over those others.

With that out of the way, you CAN tow safely, I've seen pple tow those black 100lb trailors w/ like 4 garbage bags on it w/o problems at the transfer station all the time. Again these are the same internally obsessed ******** who purchased a honda civic because it's safe for the enviornment and is a good & reliable family car.

Though I'd never tow or recommend towing with a honda anyways. Just as a matter of physics towing with a RWD car would be more efficient anyways (for those who inquire why think about the extra weight on the rear axle(s) 'caused by the tow hitch that would actually pull up on the front of the car making it have less grip. With my crappy obvious physics lesson asside, it'd be more efficient to tow with something that's heavy, has bulk, and torque (if you're towing with a car) - Such as a Mercedes E-class, Lincoln Town Car, or a mid 90's Mercury Mystique.

Wow, I wasn't sticking to the topic at all, was I?

Yes, you'll probably need a plasma cutter, I wouldn't waste my time with a dremel cutter as it'll take too long and possibly run into problems. Though hey, if you have access to a dremel cutter instead of a plasma, give it a try, it's worth that (a try) if anything. -- Sorry for long post on how to tow with a car :-P

EDIT:
PS: If you can't cut it immediately or are having trouble with a dremel cutter, use a torch to heat the metal (get it real nice and hot), it'll cut easier w/ a dremel cutter....or any other cutter for that matter.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do you have a hitch? (Syndacate)

angle grinder FTW
Old 08-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do you have a hitch? (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

a trailer hitch should not be welded to the frame. It should be bolted tot he frame. I have never seen a hitch assembly welded to anyhting but dump trucks with about 6-8 bolts also. My truck, my dads 3 company trucks and no welding. if someone welded it to the frame its a hack.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo_y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a trailer hitch should not be welded to the frame. It should be bolted tot he frame. I have never seen a hitch assembly welded to anyhting but dump trucks with about 6-8 bolts also. My truck, my dads 3 company trucks and no welding. if someone welded it to the frame its a hack. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red_EM2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> That being said. Just cut it out. Wouldnt be safe to tow with anyways, seeing as its welded to the car instead of bolted to the frame. Oh, wait, our cars dont have that type of frame.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-21-2006, 04:24 PM

ill get some pics of the stupid thing in the morning when its not raining. I hate it...i dont know why they would ever put one on a civic
Old 08-21-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Do you have a hitch? (brockscivic)

I wanted one because i have dirtbikes, but im saving for a tacoma. civics shouldnt tow toys.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red_EM2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Plasma FTW.

[.[/B]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah because his old civic still has any warranty

BTW reading comprehension fails you
Old 08-21-2006, 04:44 PM

NOTE: I in no way endorse the use of the Honda Ridgeline. It tows like a piece of ****. Buy a real truck, like a Titan, Tacoma, F-Series or Silverado.</TD></TR></TABLE>

before i dropped in my engine me and my buddies decided what my sohc can handle. i was suprised on what it could do. i pulled a f body camaro with flat tires for about 50 ft. and the motor never gave up
Old 08-21-2006, 05:29 PM
DixielandImports Please

Default Re: Do you have a hitch? (EGwhat!!!)

I have a guy in my town with a 05 Si.
He tows his mobile wash station around with his car.
It does good. I doubt it get any kinda decent gas mileage.