Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

which dizzy do i use for odb1 d16y7 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which dizzy do i use for odb1 d16y7 swap?

the original d16y7 is odb2 so it has one plug but im using a odb1 harness with two plugs, can i use a d15b7 dizzy? please help
Old 03-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which dizzy do i use for odb1 d16y7 swap?

Use the original Y7 Distributor, So it fits in the Y7 head,etc. And it is pretty easy to make a conversion harness, to go from the Obd2 One plug to your OBD1 2 plug wire harness. In your case you would need the One plug from an Obd2 main wire harness that goes into the distributor, and the 2 plugs off of an Obd1 distributor. Grab those from a junkyard or wherever and Just color match the wires and you will be good to go. Using a conversion harness IMO keeps everything cleaner and nothing permenently modified.

If you are in a pinch you can cut the plugs from your d15b dizzy and splice them to the y7 distributor. If you search you can actually rewire/pin the distributor, but I perfer the harnesses. And also you can buy pre-made Distributor Conversion Y Harness from the main honda harness/ecu vendors, but it really is easy to make your own that works.

Heres a picture of one I made, It was the opposite of what your are doing I was putting an OBD1 motor in an OBD2 Car, but you can get the idea.
Attached Images  

Last edited by VnZo; 03-12-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VnZo
Use the original Y7 Distributor, So it fits in the Y7 head,etc. And it is pretty easy to make a conversion harness, to go from the Obd2 One plug to your OBD1 2 plug wire harness. In your case you would need the One plug from an Obd2 main wire harness that goes into the distributor, and the 2 plugs off of an Obd1 distributor. Grab those from a junkyard or wherever and Just color match the wires and you will be good to go. Using a conversion harness IMO keeps everything cleaner and nothing permenently modified.

If you are in a pinch you can cut the plugs from your d15b dizzy and splice them to the y7 distributor. If you search you can actually rewire/pin the distributor, but I perfer the harnesses. And also you can buy pre-made Distributor Conversion Y Harness from the main honda harness/ecu vendors, but it really is easy to make your own that works.

Heres a picture of one I made, It was the opposite of what your are doing I was putting an OBD1 motor in an OBD2 Car, but you can get the idea.
'

well i bought a new y7 dizzy and it didnt fit and bolt on, and the b7 one does, theres a plug that goes to the crankshaft postion sensor and odb1 harness'es dont have that plug which is why my car isnt starting.. i dunno what to do
Old 03-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, what car do you have? what motor is going in? same block and head? what harness is being used? and what ecu is being used? are you using an obd2 ecu?

Let me know those and I can sort out what going on for you
Old 03-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VnZo
Okay, what car do you have? what motor is going in? same block and head? what harness is being used? and what ecu is being used? are you using an obd2 ecu?

Let me know those and I can sort out what going on for you
1994 civic sedan odb1 it had a d15b7 in it and im put a d16y7 in and it has a z6 throttle body so im using my d15b7 harness and everything plugs in, im using a p06 ecu, it turns over and everything but its not starting, i have spark and the fuel primes and everything but that plug is the only thing we cant figure out because i have read that the Crankshaft postion sensor is needed for the car to start but it doesnt have anywhere to plug into. i need help asap :[
Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the crankshaft position sensor is in the dizzy on obd1 cars if i recall correctly. you wont need to hook up the sensor on the block since you're still obd1
Old 03-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

allright man, mostly I know about tricking obd2 ecus for obd1 motors, but from what I know and what I looked up, it should be easy for you, so I am not sure of what is the cause of your problems, you should be able to use all of the obd1 stuff on the obd2 block, and everything extra should not cause any problems as the obd1 P06 you are using does not look for the "extra" things, if you used the obd1 dizzy, intake, injectors, alternator, etc you should be good to go,

Double check all of your connections and sensors make sure everything is hooked up, if your using your stock dizzy it should plug in just fine and would get the correct signal, your need for the ckp and cmp sensors.

I ran into a problem with and obd2 setup with z6 in it and I just needed the the z6 dizzy and made the conversion harness, and then did the ckp bypass trick for the obd2 ecu, but you should not have the same problem because you are using the obd1 ecu.

I am not familiar with the d15b dizzy, but i remember the y7 dizzy did not fit right into the z6 head and visa versa, but it sounds like the d15b dizzy should work.

Anymore info or questions let me know
and Bump for someone with the missing link here,
but I would double check all your wire plug connections, grounds, spark plug wires, etc.

I know when you are close to getting a motor swapped in, hurrying up and throwing everything together it is easy to miss something obvious, when you are excited to get it running, lol try mixing up 2 spark plug wires and redoing your timing belt twice with the motor in the car because you thought you messed that up, when it was right all the way along

Bump for an answer
Old 03-13-2010, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/d16y7-into-obd1-eg-help-970906/

This thread may or may not help you, but go through what is in there and check both links, it is all pretty much straight forward, but let me know if there are any differences for you