Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY - Replacing Del Sol heater core

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 06:37 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY - Replacing Del Sol heater core

This job should only take 3 hours, not including the the ac discharge and recharge. However it calls for 5.5 hours with no ac or 6.4 with ac.

Disconnect and remove battery. Wait 3 minutes.
Disable airbag, remove access panel, unplug yellow clip, plug in red clip. I don't think this is required, but it only takes 1 minute, if it deploys in your face, it could kill you.
Disconnect the 2 ac lines, 10mm and 12mm(you must have the ac system drained first)
Disconnect the cable going to the water valve.
Remove heater core bolt on firewall 12mm, any book or google search will show you which one. Those are the only two 12 mm bolts for the whole job.
Disconnect both heater hoses.

Remove center console(armrest) and piece around shifter.
Loosen dashboard, only 6, 10mm bolts.
Remove piece with hazard, fog light, cruise and defrost switch's.
Remove gauge cluster.
Remove steering column trim.
Remove radio, then pop out orange clip directly under it, disconnect that clip.
Disconnect all wiring harness clips connected to dash, except clips going to the heater control panel.
Feed wiring harness through the hole that its going through. There is a ground wire you must disconnect, make note of that wire, also make note of the hole the radio clip goes through
You do NOT have to remove glove box, air bag, steering wheel, fuse box, or the clips to heater control panel.
Disconnect cable under dash on passenger side that controls the water valve. (move your control from hot to cold, the cable that moves is the one i'm talking about)
Remove dashboard.
Remove evaporator box and any wiring in your way.
Remove black vent on floor.
Remove heater core control box and any wiring in your way or connected to it.
Do not take the box apart, disconnect metal bar over heater core, remove screw and white plastic piece over heater core. - you may have to bend your new heater core slightly to make this piece re-fit properly.
Installation is reverse of removal.

When reinstalling the heater hoses, don't put the clamp at the very end of the hose, put as close to the nipple on the pipe as you can, without putting it directly on the nipple.

These forums had me so depressed about doing this job i was considering selling my car. This job was easy and only took me 2.5 hours, (my ac was already discharged) and i took the time to run some wires for my aftermarket antenna. I have never done a heater core before this. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Sol to Sol

Default Re: heater core -del sol

I was wondering why I didnt remember posting in this. ITS SIX YEARS OLD!!

You're new, so let me give a hint. DONT DO THAT.

If you want to make a DIY then repost it in a new thread with a clear title. As soon as Ron or Tom sees this they will lock it.

Welcome, but read the rules, because this is a tech forum, the members can be a lil sticky on them.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:45 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Default Re: heater core -del sol

As much as I absolutely ******* HATE 6 1/2 year old thread bumps...this one isn't horrible. That said, though, it's still bad. Don't do that. Ever. For any reason. We appreciate that you're trying to help with a DIY, and it looks like a pretty good DIY, but please remember that DIYs are better with detailed pictures, and 9 times out of 10 should have their own thread.

Not a bad first post, though just needs a little brushing up around the edges.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: DIY - Replacing Del Sol heater core

OP - You now have your own thread. Add pictures to make this a full fledged DIY.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Next time perform the job first before passing judgement like those who cried about it. The only thing i will say about a heater core is "its just time consuming". its not hard. Would you rather do it right or have someone else **** your dash up?
Old 10-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Installation is reverse of removal"

famous last words